Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ludatyk

macrumors 603
Original poster
May 27, 2012
Texas
As soon as Apple announced this I was intrigued by it, then after researching it... I went to see what speakers would be compatible.

Apple spoke as if it would be ready when iOS 11 dropped or maybe I was getting ahead of myself, but I think they will do an update as soon as their HomePod is officially released. Which I was planning on passing it up since I wasn’t looking to spend that much. I’m sure many of you have some Sonos Play1, it’s a very popular speaker.

I picked up some two Libratone Zipp Mini’s and I’m just waiting until AirPlay 2 drop where I can combine sounds to those Zipp Minis and my Apple TV which is hooked up to home theatre. I’m just excited to see how it performs.

hevaKmaI

macrumors 6502
May 15, 2006
The only way I could get excited by it is if Apple released something analogous to the Chromecast Audio so that you could use your own existing speakers with it (through analog or optical as CCA can do). I won’t buy new speakers just to use it, nor do I want to.

In my view, Airplay 2 is Apple playing catch up what google and sonos have been doing for a couple years now.

Ludatyk

macrumors 603
Original poster
May 27, 2012
Texas
In my view, Airplay 2 is Apple playing catch up what google and sonos have been doing for a couple years now.

Not sure what you mean. AirPlay 2 is just a software upgrade.... it’s meant to give more audio features. It will provide Siri support as well.

Haven’t tried Chromecast Audio, but I do have Google Home and it’s impressive.... and I do agree Apple is behind in terms of Home services. Yet, I think AirPlay 2 will pretty cool.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.