Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mistermcnight

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 12, 2016
My $50 coupon from Best Buy from my delayed Apple Watch that expires on 10/14 has me wondering - do you guys think there'll be a preorder window for AirPods, or that they'll just show up in stock one day? Hoping I can use that for AirPods, though not necessarily depending on it.

matrix07

macrumors G3
Jun 24, 2010
Thinks they'll open for pre-order but don't know for how long before available.

zea mays

macrumors 6502a
Feb 10, 2007
Typically when they're cryptic about dates like that it means the end of the month. I'd be surprised to see it in the first two weeks. I hope so for your sake!

mistermcnight

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 12, 2016
Typically when they're cryptic about dates like that it means the end of the month. I'd be surprised to see it in the first two weeks. I hope so for your sake!
If they're coming at the end of the month, and there are preorders, I would hope that the latter opens up by mid-month!

caligurl

macrumors 68040
Jun 8, 2009
socal
Do they usually even do preorders for items like this? I thought they just became available....

WiseAJ

macrumors 65816
Sep 8, 2009
PDX
Do they usually even do preorders for items like this? I thought they just became available....

They'll become "available" and then quickly sell out for several weeks.

I hope that the later launch date means that they are working on building up a good sized supply of them. Unfortunately I have a feeling that this won't be the case and the chances of getting a pair anytime soon will be hit and miss.

tkukoc

Cancelled
Sep 16, 2014
They say an October to late October release date.. I'm banking on preorders to start end of this month or the first week of October. However, I could also see them not do preorders on this product and have it be a silent update on their website if/when they announce the new macbook pro's/ipads.

rockyromero

macrumors 6502
Jul 11, 2015
I hope that the later launch date means that they are working on building up a good sized supply of them.

Based on the numbers, 1B iPhone users and 15M AW users, I would think the quantity of Airpods to sell would be in the range of 15M to 25M, by the end of the year.

That's a lot of ears wanting to be filled.

But then, that's just earsay.

playaproved

macrumors 6502
Sep 29, 2005
I check BestBuy.com and the Apple Store everyday for a AirPods preorder. I'd rather have my order locked in rather than calling/running all over the place looking for them when they release.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.