Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ethosik

Contributor
Original poster
Oct 21, 2009
My brother has a 2015 iMac still on El Capitan. I was working on getting it upgraded to any newer version, but it would not work. The downloads from the App Store finish downloading in 1 seconds, take up 20 MB, and when I run it I get an error that the installer information could not be loaded to the primary drive.

Why are the downloads from the App Store only 1 second and 20 MB? The only think I can think of is to download Catalina on my system, create a USB drive and take it to my brother's system.

LuisN

macrumors 6502a
Mar 30, 2013
Torres Vedras, Portugal
My brother has a 2015 iMac still on El Capitan. I was working on getting it upgraded to any newer version, but it would not work. The downloads from the App Store finish downloading in 1 seconds, take up 20 MB, and when I run it I get an error that the installer information could not be loaded to the primary drive.

Why are the downloads from the App Store only 1 second and 20 MB? The only think I can think of is to download Catalina on my system, create a USB drive and take it to my brother's system.
You should install High Sierra first just in case it needs some firmware update

Ethosik

Contributor
Original poster
Oct 21, 2009
You should install High Sierra first just in case it needs some firmware update
No OS downloads from the App Store, not even High Sierra. It all takes 1 second and takes up 20 MB and the installer fails.

Ethosik

Contributor
Original poster
Oct 21, 2009
Not strictly true. I downloaded El Capitan and Sierra a week ago from Apple. One just needs to know where to look.
From memory the Sierra download was 4.7GB. There are a number of YTube videos which explain.

Yes its true for my brother's system. I am not sure what is happening. I tried all future OS versions, they all take 1 second to download and only take 20 MB. Not sure why you said its not true? Something is clearly wrong with my brother's system. I am not saying High Sierra cannot be downloaded in general, just something wrong with my brother's system.

Taz Mangus

macrumors 604
Mar 10, 2011
Yes its true for my brother's system. I am not sure what is happening. I tried all future OS versions, they all take 1 second to download and only take 20 MB. Not sure why you said its not true? Something is clearly wrong with my brother's system. I am not saying High Sierra cannot be downloaded in general, just something wrong with my brother's system.

Try this:
  • Remove any previous copies of the OS installers (e.g. El-Capitan, etc.) from the /Applications folder.
  • Do a reset PRAM.
  • Boot into Safe Mode and back to normal mode.
  • Download OS X El Capitan

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.