Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nickpro

macrumors regular
Jun 11, 2007
Bay Area
anyone else using both the N7 and the iPad and seeing benefits from the individual devices in certain situations? i've been tempted to give it a shot, but can't get past the fact that i'm perfectly happy with my iPad and really don't need another similar device.

BoxerGT2.5

macrumors 68020
Jun 4, 2008
Long time Apple guy here but I bought the N7 just to play with as it was cheap. For the price it can't be touched. Verdict so far is.... wow. I've had the iPad 1, iPad 2 and now iPad 3. I pretty much haven't touched the iPad 3 since I got the N7. The N7 is quite simply doing everything I need it to do and more.

N7 so far has almost all the same apps I was using on my iPad. It also gives me access to the file system, exceptional customization capabilities and Google Now is awesome. Android Jelly Bean 4.1 is a game changer and really well done. The only thing I was kinda worried about was my Zinio magazine app and whether or not I could deal with reading magazines on the smaller screen. After trying a few magazines I've decided that yes I can.

My iPad is now going up for sale. I simply cannot justify keeping such an expensive device any longer when the N7 is easily fulfilling MY needs. Your mileage may vary of course. The iPad seems heavy now in comparison and the N7 is simply easier to use especially when reading in bed. I'm also loving the portability of the N7.

No question the iPad is an excellent and well made device that is the correct choice for lots of folks. The bottom line for me is the iPad is not worth hundreds of dollars more when the N7 does what I need done with a tablet. I wish the N7 had more storage or at least expandable storage but so far not an issue and hey, it was $250 bucks. I accept the arguably minor limitations for the price paid. Cheers!

I will say that apple better step on it with Siri cause Goole Now does alot more, is faster, and much more accurate.

kenypowa

macrumors 6502a
Oct 16, 2008
somewhere
anyone else using both the N7 and the iPad and seeing benefits from the individual devices in certain situations? i've been tempted to give it a shot, but can't get past the fact that i'm perfectly happy with my iPad and really don't need another similar device.

IF you can get one, get it. If you don't like it, simply resell it as the demand for this device is ridiculously high. I love the 7inch form factor and as others said, most apps are now on par with iOS versions.

tech4all

macrumors 68040
Jun 13, 2004
NorCal
I'm sorry but these are 2 of the most ridiculous things I've read on thes forums in a while. If someone is buying a product simply to avoid bias or to stay grounded in the face of fanboys, you have entirely too much time and money on your hands and probably need to invest more time in the real world. Go serve at a soup kitchen or tutor some underprivaledged kids or something.[b/]

Take your own advice. Here you are wasting time posting on an Apple forum with people you don't even know and saying that they have too much time on their hands. :rolleyes:;)

aneftp

macrumors 601
Jul 28, 2007
I "owned" a Nexus 7 for 3 weeks. It's a great tablet. Had a couple of quality control issues so had to return the first 2 I got from Staples.

For the price $199/249 8gb/16gb/ Plus $25 google play credit. Quad core. Official Google Nexus product (you are pretty much guaranteed the lastest official software updates for the next 1.5-2 years with this tablet). Nexus always gets updates the fastest (GSM and wifi only Nexus devices).

It's fast, light. Screen is nice (not iPad 3 nice, but still nice). Some may say it may appear a little washed out. But its not biggie.

Why did I return the Nexus 7 than? If I didn't own 2 iPads (ipad 2 64GB wifi and iPad 3 LTE 64GB ipad). I would have kept the Nexus 7. And on top of me just getting a 4.8 inch Samsung Galaxy S3 and will get the new iPhone LTE next month.

I just couldn't justify keeping the Nexus 7.

Now if you are on the fence and do not own a tablet or have just one tablet and looking for a lightweight alternative. Than get the Nexus 7.

There are a couple of apps that do not work for the Nexus 7 yet. Most of it has to do with JellyBean compatibiltiy. Like my HBO Go app

Mac.World

macrumors 68000
Jan 9, 2011
In front of uranus
Nexus 7 is a great tablet. There have been complaints, true, but so does every ipad and iphone.

Nexus 7's display is really good. Not iPad3 good, but better than ipad2 good.

Memory is limited to 8 or 16gb. Big mistake not adding an sd card on an Android device!

What most people do not know about is that the Nex7 has the same magnetic sleep feature as the ipad 2/3. When I close my Moko black leather case, my Nex7 goes to sleep. And it awakes when I open it.

You can side load any app to the Nex7 and it will display perfectly (at least all the .apk's I have sent over to it from my S3. For some reason, Photoshop Touch isn't available for the Nex7. So I side loaded it and it works perfectly. Same with the USAA app. I can't figure out why these apps aren't available?

Amazon App store. Download it from the Google Play store. All of Amazons Apps are easily accessible. This is how you get Jetpack Joyride onto your Android device and it is free. I also like their daily free app. Every once in a while you get a quality app pop up, like Jetpack Joyride.

For $200 to $250 this is a really, really good tablet and you are always gonna get OS updates quickly with it. I owned all the ipad and other than being smaller and lighter than an iPad, I love this thing. I waited to join the Android ranks, when I felt Android was on par or better than iOS. That was this year with the Galaxy S3 and Nexus 7.

If you buy one, expecting it to be a mini ios device, you won't like it. If you buy it expected a bigger and better version of the Galaxy Nexus or something like the HOX or S3, without the obtrusive UI, you will love it! I would also tell prospective buyers that are on the fence about buying one or deeply integrated with iOS to wait for the ipad mini due out in October. If it is a smaller version of the ipad2 and at or under $300, it will be a good alternative. If they can keep the same price point and add an HD display, we'll I think Apple will own the 7 inch tablet market, with the Nex7 a long way back in 2nd place. If it is an ipad2 mini, I don't see Apple dominating the mini tablet market. Maybe 50% or less.

Last edited:

ixodes

macrumors 601
Jan 11, 2012
Pacific Coast, USA
I know this topic is old now. But I saw the nexus 7 in person for first time yesterday. TBH it looked superb and the value for money was obviously there. However I'm also drawn heavily in the iOS ecosystem. Did anyone else get one?

Absolutely, I really like mine it's fantastic.

A nice companion and alternate OS to my iPad.

BoxerGT2.5

macrumors 68020
Jun 4, 2008
I "owned" a Nexus 7 for 3 weeks. It's a great tablet. Had a couple of quality control issues so had to return the first 2 I got from Staples.

For the price $199/249 8gb/16gb/ Plus $25 google play credit. Quad core. Official Google Nexus product (you are pretty much guaranteed the lastest official software updates for the next 1.5-2 years with this tablet). Nexus always gets updates the fastest (GSM and wifi only Nexus devices).

It's fast, light. Screen is nice (not iPad 3 nice, but still nice). Some may say it may appear a little washed out. But its not biggie.

Why did I return the Nexus 7 than? If I didn't own 2 iPads (ipad 2 64GB wifi and iPad 3 LTE 64GB ipad). I would have kept the Nexus 7. And on top of me just getting a 4.8 inch Samsung Galaxy S3 and will get the new iPhone LTE next month.

I just couldn't justify keeping the Nexus 7.

Now if you are on the fence and do not own a tablet or have just one tablet and looking for a lightweight alternative. Than get the Nexus 7.

There are a couple of apps that do not work for the Nexus 7 yet. Most of it has to do with JellyBean compatibiltiy. Like my HBO Go app

Hbo go got jelly bean support yesterday.

jsgoulding

macrumors newbie
Apr 14, 2012
UK
Using a Nexus 7 right now! No issues with build quality, and seems to be in same condition as when I got it! In reading these posts I agree about the apps, but as well as the device, its lack of jelly bean support which limits the choice (for now). As a Mac user, and having an iPhone, I could not justify the price, or differences between an iPhone and iPad to get an iPad, hence the nexus 7 :). Let's face it, even an 'iPad mini, will retail at £299 I'd say. Nothing on £159 for a nexus (8gb)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.