Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Rhetro

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 12, 2006
Hey folks!

I have an old Mac Plus.

What I'm trying to do is make backup images of the floppies I'm using.

The disks are about 20yrs old, so I'd like to make copies of them before the media inside the plastic goes bad.

It's a game called Uninvited. Classic! However.

The only way you can play the game, is to boot the Mac Plus with disk one (of two) in the drive. If the sys is on and you insert the disk, it won't work.

I take it that this is some sort of copy protection?

Well, there has to be a way to make a back up coppy of the disk that can be played off the hardrive.

Eventually, I would like to move those "disk images" onto an emulator like Basilisk II or something like that. (but that's another story)

In fact, it looks like my power suppply is going bad on my Mac Plus, so I either better hurry, or get another one off e-bay (but that's another story)

Thanks in advance!

Rhetro

Anonymous Freak

macrumors 603
Dec 12, 2002
Cascadia
You can use Disk Copy to make a disk image of them. But you can't boot off the disk image. You could then use the disk image for your emulator, though.

Another thing to see is to boot off your hard drive, and put the disk in. 'Get Info' on the disk's copy of Finder. If you happen to have a spare hard drive, try copying the floppy's files to the hard drive to see if it will run from a hard drive booting 'properly'. If it will, go hunt down an old boot manager (that would let you have multiple System Folders, and let you choose which one you want to boot from,) and use that to select either the game's System Folder, or you main one.

Sorry, it's been so long since I used one of those boot managers ('system folder blesser', in old Mac parlance,) that I can't remember the name of any.

Rhetro

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 12, 2006
Thanks ehurtley!

I need to transfer the image on the Mac Plus to my Basilisk II folder on my PC. I heard os someone using Zterm for that so I can link the Mac Plus to a modem emulator and then to my Ibook.

Why is it then that when you just make a copy of the floppies that the copies don't work the same way the original disks do?

Unfortunately it looks like I need to get another Mac Plus. It's funny that once I start looking in to all of this, that my Mac Plus starts to go south!! Again, it flickers like it's starting to reboot. The only thing I can do is shut it down. I'm guessing the power supply is going out. Put I saved your message so I can use it once I either get it up and running or get another Mac Plus.

Thanks again?

Rhetro

rjkells

macrumors newbie
Jun 17, 2006
Macintosh Garden

Rhetro,

If you want to move to emulation, The Macintosh Garden http://mac.the-underdogs.info/index.php has your game available for free download. I've played it on the mini vmac emulator for Mac OS X and it works just like it did on my old SE. This will at least save you some trouble.

Rhetro

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 12, 2006
RJKELLS!!!!!!!!!!!!!

THANK GOD!!!!!! THIS IS EXACTLY WHAT I NEEDED!

GOD BLESS YOU !!!

You're not kidding about saving me some trouble. I really didn't know where to go!

Thanks again man I owe you one!!!

Take it easy!

Sincerely,

Rhetro

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.