Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hotwire132002

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 24, 2004
Cadillac, MI
I discovered today that even with GarageBand, I'm not a very good composer. I'm trying to compose a fast-paced techno type deal for a video demo reel I'm putting together. However, I'm not having much luck. Anyone willing to compose something for me? I'm looking for something about a minute in length. Any volunteers?

2A Batterie

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2004
Out of a Suitcase, USA
I apologize if I'm misinterpreting your post in my response. While this is a community and most of us are pretty friendly, I don't think anyone would (or should) create a song for you for free. I'm sure there would be much better response if you asked for advice. For example, I'm sure a nice plumber would give you some tips on fixing your backed-up drain, but he wouldn't come over and do it for free. I'm not trying to be a confrontational poster or troll, but that is my two cents. I'd be happy to give advice though

hotwire132002

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 24, 2004
Cadillac, MI
2A Batterie said:
I apologize if I'm misinterpreting your post in my response. While this is a community and most of us are pretty friendly, I don't think anyone would (or should) create a song for you for free. I'm sure there would be much better response if you asked for advice. For example, I'm sure a nice plumber would give you some tips on fixing your backed-up drain, but he wouldn't come over and do it for free. I'm not trying to be a confrontational poster or troll, but that is my two cents. I'd be happy to give advice though

I think my musicial skills are beyond help ;), but you can give it a shot! I'm not even sure what advice I need--but anything you can do to help would be nice!

howard

macrumors 68020
Nov 18, 2002
unless you know how to compose, doing it without a keyboard is very very difficult.

anyway, do you have any knowledge in composing?

i would recommend just picking out a drum beat and a bass line to go along then do little arpeggios and ostinatos with a loud annoying synth patch. then use synth pads for chords changing every few measures to go underneath the upper part. thats pretty much it... I havn't used garageband much, don't know what kind of plugins you can use or play around with..

hotwire132002

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 24, 2004
Cadillac, MI
howard said:
unless you know how to compose, doing it without a keyboard is very very difficult.

anyway, do you have any knowledge in composing?

i would recommend just picking out a drum beat and a bass line to go along then do little arpeggios and ostinatos with a loud annoying synth patch. then use synth pads for chords changing every few measures to go underneath the upper part. thats pretty much it... I havn't used garageband much, don't know what kind of plugins you can use or play around with..

Well, thanks for the help, I'll give it a shot :rolleyes:

Grokgod

macrumors 6502a
Wow

There are so many ways the demo was bad that I would have to say the music was actually the best thing of the entire reel.

What in the world is this for?

I was completely lost in the garish video colors, random people, mute speakers and strange girls dancing.

I see no rhyme or reason to the hodge podge of poor video tech.

But if you lower the irritating high pitch tone of the music with a simple editing program, I would have to say that the music was the best part! :eek:

I am sure that I will be flamed as usual for this post.
But its best to let someone that posts such things, know the truth.

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
I don't want to be rude, but what the **** was that!! :D HAHAHA...that's hilarious! You just made my day. :p

The music was bad. Do you not listen to music for fun? Hip hop? Dance? Trance? Is there anything in your iTunes library with a glitchy beat, as that seems to be what you were aiming for? Anything you can get inspiration from? Really, the sound was annoying. I don't know how we can help you, as I don't believe we can help you we watch the videos you post as your music improves. I'm not a musician myself, so maybe I shouldn't talk, but that was very bad.

But here's the thing.....the video was worse. I couldn't even watch the entire thing. I'm still trying to figure out what it was about. I'm actually curious to know, because I can't figure it out. It was just a melee of random videos.

hotwire132002

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 24, 2004
Cadillac, MI
Abstract said:
I don't want to be rude, but what the **** was that!! :D HAHAHA...that's hilarious! You just made my day. :p

The music was bad. Do you not listen to music for fun? Hip hop? Dance? Trance? Is there anything in your iTunes library with a glitchy beat, as that seems to be what you were aiming for? Anything you can get inspiration from? Really, the sound was annoying. I don't know how we can help you, as I don't believe we can help you we watch the videos you post as your music improves. I'm not a musician myself, so maybe I shouldn't talk, but that was very bad.

But here's the thing.....the video was worse. I couldn't even watch the entire thing. I'm still trying to figure out what it was about. I'm actually curious to know, because I can't figure it out. It was just a melee of random videos.

Like I said, I suck at composing. I'll come up with a better demo reel. In the mean time, that one's offline. I don't want to use something nobody can even watch as my demo reel. :mad:

2A Batterie

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2004
Out of a Suitcase, USA
Here's a few tips for composing music on GBand or just in general.

1)Listen- What kind of music are you creating and what will it be for? Take some time to do in depth listening of the type of music you want to create. For example, if you are into jazz you want to go to the Blue Note to listen, not Madison Square Garden. If you creating music for video games, then pay close attention to the music on the games.
2)Imitate-What is it about certain music that appeals to you? Do you like the throbbing quarter note pulse of the bass drum in that dance track you've been listening to? The rhythmic figure that the guitar is riffing on? The slow/fast tempo of a song? With the music you like, find the things about it that you like and try to replicate them.
3)Start Simple- It is much better to have a simple product that rocks as oppossed to a sophisticated on that is luke-warm. It is much easier and effective to create a polished track that is simple. Techno+dance,rap, hip-hop are all monotonous and hypnotize with a short and redundant pattern. This is easier said than done, but the patterns are short and effective. You don't have to been extremely complicated at first.
3)Don't been afraid to go against the grain-The beautiful thing about creating is that while you may want to follow guidelines, you never have to. Do what you feel is right, even if it is against the norm. Don't be afraid to try something just because it is unusual. Bottom line, if it sounds good, it is good. For example, don't be afraid to use a banjo loop with a fast-paced drum n' bass groove or on a funky tune. Also, you don't need a MIDI keyboard , especially if this is music for a game or a promo. Find a couple of loops that work well together and add some slight variations.

That is a start. If that helps or not, let me know. I hope everything works out for you and post a re if you'd like some different advice.

hotwire132002

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 24, 2004
Cadillac, MI
2A Batterie said:
Here's a few tips for composing music on GBand or just in general.

1)Listen- What kind of music are you creating and what will it be for? Take some time to do in depth listening of the type of music you want to create. For example, if you are into jazz you want to go to the Blue Note to listen, not Madison Square Garden. If you creating music for video games, then pay close attention to the music on the games.
2)Imitate-What is it about certain music that appeals to you? Do you like the throbbing quarter note pulse of the bass drum in that dance track you've been listening to? The rhythmic figure that the guitar is riffing on? The slow/fast tempo of a song? With the music you like, find the things about it that you like and try to replicate them.
3)Start Simple- It is much better to have a simple product that rocks as oppossed to a sophisticated on that is luke-warm. It is much easier and effective to create a polished track that is simple. Techno+dance,rap, hip-hop are all monotonous and hypnotize with a short and redundant pattern. This is easier said than done, but the patterns are short and effective. You don't have to been extremely complicated at first.
3)Don't been afraid to go against the grain-The beautiful thing about creating is that while you may want to follow guidelines, you never have to. Do what you feel is right, even if it is against the norm. Don't be afraid to try something just because it is unusual. Bottom line, if it sounds good, it is good. For example, don't be afraid to use a banjo loop with a fast-paced drum n' bass groove or on a funky tune. Also, you don't need a MIDI keyboard , especially if this is music for a game or a promo. Find a couple of loops that work well together and add some slight variations.

That is a start. If that helps or not, let me know. I hope everything works out for you and post a re if you'd like some different advice.

Thanks for the help. I'm not a great composer (like I said), but I don't need awesome music either--just something that will work as a background track for a demo reel of my video production capabilities. I came up with something that's not great, but it works. I'm redoing the video so the reel will be a bit more logical. I'll post it when it's done. (Maybe...)

2A Batterie

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2004
Out of a Suitcase, USA
Post it when you are finished so we can hear it! Don't let criticism get you down as it can be helpful if the person knows what they are talking about. This stuff (music, creativity, building Rome, etc.) doesn't happen overnight so just be patient! Keep it simple and you should do just fine. Good Luck!

hotwire132002

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 24, 2004
Cadillac, MI
2A Batterie said:
Post it when you are finished so we can hear it! Don't let criticism get you down as it can be helpful if the person knows what they are talking about. This stuff (music, creativity, building Rome, etc.) doesn't happen overnight so just be patient! Keep it simple and you should do just fine. Good Luck!

Constructive criticism isn't bad. What I hate is "WTF was that?!" That's not CONSTRUCTIVE criticism. That's just bashing someone's work. There's no point in that.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.