Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Has your 8plus bent?

• Yes

Votes: 7 10.0%
  • No

Votes: 63 90.0%

• Total voters

Gibson88

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 25, 2006
United Kingdom
just a quick one, got the chance to pick up a 8 Plus for a good price but I’m still a bit nervous on bending issues especially with people who wear slim jeans. (No I won’t be putting it in my back pocket before people ask!)

So just wondering if anyone has had any bend issues since launch to put my mind at rest?

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Never heard of any bending issues whatsoever with the iPhone 8, not sure how one would do so. Especially considering the only bending ‘issues’ was really back with the iPhone 6 with the 6000 series aluminum.

joeblow7777

macrumors 604
Sep 7, 2010
Bending hasn't been a thing since the 6/6+.

Besides, given that the 8+ is made of glass, it would crack rather than bend.

Vermifuge

macrumors 68020
Mar 7, 2009
The bending issue hasn't been an issue since the iPhone 6 Plus. (note: Bending was resolved in the 6s/6s+ by adding a support beam and using higher grade aluminum) IMO BendGate™ was totally blown out of proportion as I have have had an iPhone 6 Plus in daily use since its release and remained so until the X came out. I STILL use the iPhone 6 every day as a work phone but isn't my primary phone. No bending whatsoever. There are 2 other 6 Plus phones my family uses that never showed any sign of bending. One did have a failed battery but this a separate issue.

Reactions: decafjava

Jim165

macrumors regular
Jul 24, 2015
Mine is tweaked a little bit. If I place it on a flat surface on its face, it doesn’t sit perfectly flat...it rocks diagonally. I’ve had an apple leather case on it 90% of it’s life and I keep it in my back pocket. Sat on it pretty often. I can easily bend it straight again. Don’t wear skinny jeans.

Brandonjr36

macrumors 68000
Sep 12, 2016
Joplin
Mine is tweaked a little bit. If I place it on a flat surface on its face, it doesn’t sit perfectly flat...it rocks diagonally. I’ve had an apple leather case on it 90% of it’s life and I keep it in my back pocket. Sat on it pretty often. I can easily bend it straight again. Don’t wear skinny jeans.
iPhone 6?

LoveToMacRumors

macrumors 68030
Feb 15, 2015
Canada
just a quick one, got the chance to pick up a 8 Plus for a good price but I’m still a bit nervous on bending issues especially with people who wear slim jeans. (No I won’t be putting it in my back pocket before people ask!)

So just wondering if anyone has had any bend issues since launch to put my mind at rest?
Forget the bending issue, nice Drive picture, loved the movie and the gloves

Jim165

macrumors regular
Jul 24, 2015
Are you sure its not because of the camera jump?
Lol, definitely sure. Notice I said I put the phone on it’s face and it will rock diagonally...like only the opposite corners will touch the table. However it’s not even noticeable unless you put it on a flat table and consciously look for it...I think the aluminum frame is bent ever so slightly from me sitting on it, but I can easily twist it slightly and it’s flat again. Not even remotely worried about it...

akash.nu

macrumors G4
May 26, 2016
Lol, definitely sure. Notice I said I put the phone on it’s face and it will rock diagonally...like only the opposite corners will touch the table. However it’s not even noticeable unless you put it on a flat table and consciously look for it...I think the aluminum frame is bent ever so slightly from me sitting on it, but I can easily twist it slightly and it’s flat again. Not even remotely worried about it...

Bit worrying if it actually bends like that to be honest. Not that I sit on my phone but I’d like to think the glass will break before the metal frame bends.

Brandonjr36

macrumors 68000
Sep 12, 2016
Joplin
You sure the table isn’t warped? Lol

Jim165

macrumors regular
Jul 24, 2015
Bit worrying if it actually bends like that to be honest. Not that I sit on my phone but I’d like to think the glass will break before the metal frame bends.

Like I said, I wouldn’t worry about it happening that much. I sit on this thing a lot and I ain’t small. I plop down on hard chairs with it in my pocket and it sometimes rides to the side of my pocket and gets wedged between my donkey and the corner of the seat/backrest and no breakage or problems with just an Apple leather case for protection. If it’s only tweaked just a smidge it after all of that it’s a non-issue for anyone else. Now, I did destroy a 6+ with the same behavior but it was naked. Almost sorry I said anything that will make folks worried, lol....the 8+ is pretty durable with a case.

Reactions: akash.nu

Gibson88

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 25, 2006
United Kingdom
Like I said, I wouldn’t worry about it happening that much. I sit on this thing a lot and I ain’t small. I plop down on hard chairs with it in my pocket and it sometimes rides to the side of my pocket and gets wedged between my donkey and the corner of the seat/backrest and no breakage or problems with just an Apple leather case for protection. If it’s only tweaked just a smidge it after all of that it’s a non-issue for anyone else. Now, I did destroy a 6+ with the same behavior but it was naked. Almost sorry I said anything that will make folks worried, lol....the 8+ is pretty durable with a case.

How long have you had it?

Wyckham

macrumors regular
Dec 5, 2017
I have original 6 Plus (from when released) and 8 Plus ued daily, the 6 Plus is stronger than you might think! No bends or scratches (no case either) I find the 8 Plus screen is more prone to microscratches than the 6 plus or 6s plus for some reason?

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
I have original 6 Plus (from when released) and 8 Plus ued daily, the 6 Plus is stronger than you might think! No bends or scratches (no case either) I find the 8 Plus screen is more prone to microscratches than the 6 plus or 6s plus for some reason?

It could be as simple as a change with the Oleophobic coating used when applied from the Factory. Others have made the same observation with the iPhone X display stating that it scratches easily over other iPhone models.

Future-Proof

macrumors regular
Apr 29, 2018
As far as front glass scratching the 8 plus is more durable, scratches less, than the 6s plus. But I went to the beach the other day and the sand scratched the front panel arrghhhh. Got a screen protector now.

Mine hasn’t bent in any way even after a pummelling at the beach

Gibson88

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 25, 2006
United Kingdom

Do you carry your phone in your front pocket?

Wyckham

macrumors regular
Dec 5, 2017
Do you carry your phone in your front pocket?

Mix of back and front pockets... Use two for Pokemon Go... Sometimes coat pockets, 6 Plus and 6s plus have less micro scratches than 8 plus with same circumstances.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
So? It can still bend. the phone is not "made" out of glass but the front and back is.
If it bends then the glass would crack, so the question would be more in relation to noticing the glass cracking vs. bending specifically.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.