Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wireless-toyz09

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 2, 2009
So i ordered my iPhone 7 plus 256GB Jet Black from Apple.com on 9/28. It shipped on 11/2 with delivery set for 11/7. On 11/7 no one was home to sign for it when the first delivery attempt was made so on 11/8 i called UPS to have the package held at the UPS center for pickup 11/9. On the night of 11/8 i tracked the package and get this message:
upload_2016-11-11_7-47-23.png

:eek::eek::eek::eek: Has this ever happened to anyone else?? I believe the UPS guy stole it. UPS told me the phone box must've "fell out of the package" and they basically received an empty box but my question is HOW did the box get opened??:(

UPS told me to call Apple who said they would need to launch an investigation with UPS and they would need until 11/14 to let me know when/IF they are going to send me a replacement and i wouldn't have to wait more than a month for the replacement to ship because they put replacement devices before standard orders and use the fastest shipping available. o_O

Has this happened to anyone else? How long did your replacement take to ship/deliver??

OriginalAppleGuy

Suspended
Sep 25, 2016
Virginia
OMFG - I've never seen that and have to watch this thread for the final outcome. Can't imagine what it's like for you. Hope they made a mistake and it turns up. Otherwise, hope Apple sends a replacement sooner rather than later! Please keep us informed!

lakaiordie

macrumors 65816
Jun 17, 2008
i would not wait forever for a replacement. call apple and cancel get your money back and just buy it in the store.

StaceyMJ86

macrumors demi-goddess
Sep 22, 2015
Washington, DC
I never saw that before. There was an instance on the Apple Watch Series 2 thread where the UPS guy delivered it to the wrong house and that person signed for it and claimed they didn't have it. In the end the guy got his watch back after Apple was going to launch an investigation. Hope you get your phone back or a replacement ASAP. UPS owe you.

wireless-toyz09

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 2, 2009
OMFG - I've never seen that and have to watch this thread for the final outcome. Can't imagine what it's like for you. Hope they made a mistake and it turns up. Otherwise, hope Apple sends a replacement sooner rather than later! Please keep us informed!
This is beyond devastating for me! :(:(:( I will keep posting updates.
[doublepost=1478877295][/doublepost]
i would not wait forever for a replacement. call apple and cancel get your money back and just buy it in the store.
That's the first thing i wanted to do but the iPhone 7 plus jet black isn't available in ANY store in Florida relatively close to my zip code.:(

lilfool4life

macrumors member
Sep 20, 2013
Miami, FL
Wow this had just happened to my coworker. She ordered a MB 7 plus i believe through T-mobile and she wasn't home initially. So the next day when her mom went to pick it up from UPS, it was an empty box. So she ended up having to order another one. But this is the exact thing happened to her! T-mobile credited her account btw. I really hate thieves.

lakaiordie

macrumors 65816
Jun 17, 2008
This is beyond devastating for me! :(:(:( I will keep posting updates.
[doublepost=1478877295][/doublepost]
That's the first thing i wanted to do but the iPhone 7 plus jet black isn't available in ANY store in Florida relatively close to my zip code.:(

i saw lauderhill. did you try aventura, galleria, lincoln rd, dadeland mall, the falls. those are like all the stores in south florida. i live in dade county.

wireless-toyz09

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 2, 2009
Wow this had just happened to my coworker. She ordered a MB 7 plus i believe through T-mobile and she wasn't home initially. So the next day when her mom went to pick it up from UPS, it was an empty box. So she ended up having to order another one. But this is the exact thing happened to her! T-mobile credited her account btw. I really hate thieves.
Wow! I hate thieves as well!
[doublepost=1478880537][/doublepost]
i saw lauderhill. did you try aventura, galleria, lincoln rd, dadeland mall, the falls. those are like all the stores in south florida. i live in dade county.
I checked all of those. I check every day. Just checked:
upload_2016-11-11_11-5-56.png

upload_2016-11-11_11-6-19.png

upload_2016-11-11_11-7-21.png

GUESS FLORIDA IS REALLY UNLUCKY :(. ...I really hope Apple can send the replacement to a store though. I don't trust UPS anymore. o_O

Reactions: JustJoshua

bufffilm

Suspended
May 3, 2011
I keep watching this thread...haven't seen this happen before.

If Apple finds that you are liable for the phone, I don't see how...as it wasn't even left at your door.

T5BRICK

macrumors G3
Aug 3, 2006
Oregon
Packages get lost(stolen sometimes), it sucks but it happens. Report the issue to Apple and let them deal with it.

The issue really needs to be driven from Apple, and UPS will respond to Apple. All you can really do is report that your package was not delivered and wait(or work with whatever options you and the folks at Apple can come up with).

RiddlaBronc

macrumors 6502a
Oct 14, 2013
Mcallen Tx
This happened to me with the 5s when the gold color was hot. Ups lost my package and I called apple and they opened an investigation and they sent me a phone the next day while they dealt with ups. They also gave me 50 bucks in credit for their store.

Reactions: rui no onna

wireless-toyz09

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 2, 2009
This happened to me with the 5s when the gold color was hot. Ups lost my package and I called apple and they opened an investigation and they sent me a phone the next day while they dealt with ups. They also gave me 50 bucks in credit for their store.
That was a quick turn around time! I'm hoping for the same.

newellj

macrumors G3
Oct 15, 2014
East of Eden
You will be taken care of, I'm certain, but please update this thread.

I can almost guarantee you that the UPS driver didn't steal it. He/she has way too much to lose to make it worth stealing a phone that's only worth $750-1000 retail. Someone else in the UPS system is the culprit. The driver's probably getting the third degree - here's hoping they can prove that they didn't steal it.

bufffilm

Suspended
May 3, 2011
Exactly. They don't even have a signature from me.

Well, that may not matter.

If the package was left at the door...that might constitute 'delivery' in their eyes.

Can't tell you how many times UPS and Fedex gave done this to me. They don't even at least ring the bell.

Doesn't seem that way with you......yet.

Reactions: wireless-toyz09

OriginalAppleGuy

Suspended
Sep 25, 2016
Virginia

If the package was left at the door...that might constitute 'delivery' in their eyes.

Can't tell you how many times UPS and Fedex gave done this to me. They don't even at least ring the bell.

UPS doesn't state they delivered it, only that they tried once and it got lost before they could get it to anyone for pickup or delivery. So the OP is safe. When Apple sees UPS lost it, they should send another one. The question is, when will they send it?

Reactions: wireless-toyz09

G.McGilli

macrumors 6502a
Oct 19, 2015

UPS can't deliver iPhones without a signature (just leave it at the door) - the handheld unit they carry to scan it (and you sign) won't allow the delivery to close without a signature.

Plus - as the first post shows/says the phone was never actually delivered. UPS rang the door, then took the phone back to UPS facility so that the OP could go there and pick it up in person - but it was then missing...

OP- you will be fine. It's a huge PITA but you have nothing to worry about.

Reactions: macTW

bufffilm

Suspended
May 3, 2011
UPS doesn't state they delivered it, only that they tried once and it got lost before they could get it to anyone for pickup or delivery. So the OP is safe. When Apple sees UPS lost it, they should send another one. The question is, when will they send it?

I agree...he should be getting a replacement, but might be delayed till they 'investigate'.

wireless-toyz09

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 2, 2009
Exactly. My concern is WHEN will they send it.
I spoke to Apple about an hour ago and they said it was extended to another 48 hours from on 11/10 so that means tomorrow i should have an actual update on the replacement.:rolleyes:
[doublepost=1478901410][/doublepost]
I agree...he should be getting a replacement, but might be delayed till they 'investigate'.
I feel since UPS has confirmed it is their fault and not mine, Apple should've sent me a replacement right away and continue to "investigate" while my new phone is in route to me.:mad:

bufffilm

Suspended
May 3, 2011
Exactly. My concern is WHEN will they send it.
I spoke to Apple about an hour ago and they said it was extended to another 48 hours from on 11/10 so that means tomorrow i should have an actual update on the replacement.:rolleyes:
[doublepost=1478901410][/doublepost]
I feel since UPS has confirmed it is their fault and not mine, Apple should've sent me a replacement right away and continue to "investigate" while my new phone is in route to me.:mad:

That would be right...let's hope they do (instead of hemming and hawing).

wireless-toyz09

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 2, 2009
UPDATE: On 11/10 i went on the apple store chat and spoke to someone. He told me that the only update he had was that they extended it for another 48 hours which would mean that on 11/12 they would have an update. He guaranteed this by end of day on 11/12. By 11pm on 11/12 i had not received any email/call from Apple with an update so i called them. Spoke to this lady who tells me that i should NEVER have been told 48 hours. I immediately got upset. She said the standard is 4 business days which would make the 4th business day on 11/14 for an update. I told her i felt lied to and she said she totally understood my frustration and transferred me to an apple store manager named James. He told me the same thing that he totally understands how i feel and he's gonna be taking control of the situation and is going to escalate it so that it can get urgent attention. He also said Apple is probably hoping that UPS finds the phone and can still deliver it to me since it was so close to my home before it got "lost" hence the delay. I told him i am not waiting forever for them to maybe find my phone and that I want a replacement. He sent me his direct contact details and said he would contact me when he gets back in office on 11/15 but i should hopefully get contacted on 11/14 since it is the 4th business day with an update on if UPS found the phone or if Apple is going to send me a replacement.

I got no update on 11/14 so on 11/15 at 3:30pm i called James. Got no answer. Called back to the normal customer service number and requested to speak to a manager. The guy gave me attitude as to why i would be requesting a manager and i explained that i was already dealing with one so i want to speak to another one. He eventually transferred me to Chris. Chris confirms that James didn't come into work today and so pulls up my information. He then asks me if i called UPS already. I said of course i did! He then looks at the date and then tells me he doesn't see why Apple is taking so long with this case as it could've been dealt with already. So i immediately got upset and told him how Apple's customer service is deplorable and i feel like no one cares:mad::mad::mad:. He told me that James escalated the case with the same people that we were waiting on the update from (which is what he was supposed to do) BUT they haven't even read his email yet. I told him i need an answer right now because this is horrible news. He said that he would escalate it to his supervisor (who he was chatting with while on the phone with me) and have him look at it and then escalate it (this form of escalation is higher than the one James did). He said he would call me at 5pm with an update before he leaves the office. He said if i didn't hear from him at 5pm then he didn't get an update yet and would call me the following day.

At 4:50pm i got a call from a Texas number. It was Chris. He said he had good news which was that his supervisor got the case escalated and they have put in to send me a replacement and that i should now see it listed under my current order status online. He said because it was ordered the same way all phones are ordered, the system generated an automatic shipping time period of 3- 4 weeks and a Delivery date of Dec 14- 21 via 2-3 day expedited service but i must not pay any mind to that because his supervisor marked the order as a replacement which means as soon as one is released from the factory, my order would be attached to it and take precedence over the other normal orders so once it actually gets in the 'preparing for shipment' status i would see the delivery dates change dramatically. He said he's hoping for movement by tomorrow so he will call me tomorrow (11/17) at noon to follow up.

The waiting game continues...:(

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.