Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Subu

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 10, 2013
Hi

Anyone has any authentic news in how BB Z 10 is doing ?

And how are the apps working ? How's the device ? Etc

Regards

Subu

dictoresno

macrumors 601
Apr 30, 2012
NJ
or goto crackberry.com and read their fourms. tons upon tons of information and videos regarding BB10 devices.

does anyone do their own searching or homework these days, i mean really. if you googled it, you would probably come across numerous reviews and even youtube videos showing the device off.

Donvald

macrumors member
Jan 31, 2013
or goto crackberry.com and read their fourms. tons upon tons of information and videos regarding BB10 devices.

does anyone do their own searching or homework these days, i mean really. if you googled it, you would probably come across numerous reviews and even youtube videos showing the device off.

Crackberry.com is the last place to go for objective information on blackberry phones. It's nothing more than a rabid fanboy site.

aneftp

macrumors 601
Jul 28, 2007
Crackberry.com is the last place to go for objective information on blackberry phones. It's nothing more than a rabid fanboy site.

Crackberry users give the pros and cons of their devices.

You will see devoted users. You will see users who hate blackberries post on their sites.

It's just the same as macrumors with emphasis geared toward blackberries.

Most users on crackberry tend to be older and more mature. Sure u will have occasional immature post. But that's the same as elsewhere.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
Well I was going to buy a Z10, I was all set on it - but had reservations.

Thankfully I was able to loan a Z10 off a friend who bought one from Phones4U in the UK sim free - if I liked it - I would have bought it off him.

The phone itself I liked, although it's more plasticy in person than it does appear to be in reviews and screenshots. But it doesn't feel like cheap plastic - it feels similar to the polycarbonate type cases from HTC's One X series.

The version I tested was the white model... The rear of the case (the battery flap) was a shiny hard plastic whereas I believe the black version comes with a matte back. I think a matte soft finish would work better but that's just subjective preferences.

The screen is very nice, but compared to my previous handsets i've owned in the last year (4S/5 One X, 8X etc..) it seems a little on the 'dull' side. Like it's not as bright as those other devices. It still looks great, but just like its been dialed back on the "in your face" settings.

BIS... Data ! Thankfully because the z10 no longer uses Blackberry Internet Service it meant I didn't have to change anything with my carrier (other than get a blank micro-sim) but other than that I didn't have to go onto any different plan for it to work which is a plus. My last experiences with Blackberry was the Torch 9860 & Bold 9900 which I had to get set-up with my carrier specifically for Blackberry service.

The OS is great, as I expected. Yeah it reminds me of webOS and iOS and MeeGo all rolled into one nice mix. The gesture system took me 5 minutes to work out as I had already done lots of research.

Blackberry Hub is great, but if you add your Social feeds to the agrigated hub, it can get rather messy. Thankfully you can filter, but I like to drop in and out of my Facebook & Twitter, seeing 100's of notifications is a bit messy in practice.

Email is great, had to manually set up my .mac email account however.

Google mail worked grand.

My BB account was recognised from my previous BB phones when I set it up which was good, however my previous purchased content wasn't available.

The OS was stable for the most part (until I started sideloading some Apps that I really need on my phone) and it was only when running these 'gimped' android apps (gimped because they are out of date and shockingly crumby performance) that I did end up having to do a pull battery style reset.

Stock apps are ok, but few disappoint. Youtube being just a browser link, often things in Twitter / Facebook take you to the mobile browser to complete rather than doing it in app properly like on Android & iOS.

The Blackberry world was as bad as I thought it would be. I had a playbook a good while ago and sold it because of lack of apps, so I really wasn't expecting much. Whilst it's nice to see some games finally on an BB device, the app selection is poor at best, utterly broken and flawed at worst.

You cant tell what apps are android and what are native. The android apps on the store are BRUTAL as in really bad and most dont work. Quality control of the very early days of android levels of crapness. What's worse a lot of the ones I tried were in the BB recommends catagory !!!

The content on BB world is region specific too meaning in some territories you may get even less choice. Here in Ireland it was ***** - plain and simple.

The stock apps are ok, the reminder app is a bit over convoluted.

Had trouble connecting the Z10 to my car's bluetooth, it would work, but once disconnected once - it was a pain to reconnect requiring too much messing about turning on and off bluetooth on both devices to get it to pair properly again.

Music player is grand, but basic. But at least it has an EQ you can change without having to leave the application (Apple please take note).

So the phone is nice, but €600 nice ??? No I simply couldn't justify it. I was most disappointed with both the lack of apps and general crapness of the content that is there, and also surprisingly 'call quality' was no way near as good as either my previous blackberry handsets in the past (9860 & 9900 - the 9900 actually is fantastic for call quality)....

So overall I liked the OS, keyboard IS FAB. So I'm glad I got to taste it for 48 hours, but I wouldn't be rushing to pick up the full lunch.....

A great OS doesn't make a great phone, but for those that never had anything other than a BB it may be a good solution.

I'm glad I saved my money for an Android device instead. I need the apps - pure and simple, and I don't have too much faith in company's promising something 'coming soon' as I have been burned way too many times in the past to go on 'faith'....

Last edited:

Donvald

macrumors member
Jan 31, 2013

You will see devoted users. You will see users who hate blackberries post on their sites.

Most users on crackberry tend to be older and more mature. Sure u will have occasional immature post. But that's the same as elsewhere.

I disagree. The response to any criticism on that site makes the fanboys here seem reasonable. Anyone who says anything there other than blackberries are awesome is called a troll. You can't get an honest review on a blackberry there. The maturity... I don't see it.

Subu

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 10, 2013

Thanks a ton !!!

You've just said what I wanted to in a crisp way

Regards

Subu

sentinelsx

macrumors 68010
Feb 28, 2011
It is a great device.

The only big issue is apps but there are apps from some local business here in Toronto and Canada and the government agencies too that are popping for BB10 and iOS and never made it to android :)

Also i am sure apps will come, i am planning to pick up one Z10 myself soon.

The first iteration of the OS is smooth, gestures are almost perfect, notifications are great, communication is solid, browser is no slouch at all, easy file transfers from my PC so it is not locked down, blah blah. As an OS it is fantastic.

Android does have the apps, but i still have to rely on forum hunting for good ones i want and the main focus is still the OS than apps when it comes to android, so i am hoping for BB10 to get better over time and i will switch full time :)

Vegastouch

macrumors 603
Jul 12, 2008
Las Vegas, NV

Most users on crackberry tend to be older and more mature.
Sure u will have occasional immature post. But that's the same as elsewhere.
Theres the big difference right there ;) Too many here bash without even trying what they are bashing.

dictoresno

macrumors 601
Apr 30, 2012
NJ
you guys can say what you want. ive got over 8000 posts over on crackberry and have been browsing it for years, as i had numerous models of them before i switched to an iphone. ive learned alot of things on that site, and reviews of new devices were always fair by the site owner and others. every site, including this one, has its fanboys....so that point is useless. its one of the best websites for blackberry devices, just as i consider this site (not imore, crackberry's sister site) as the best iphone site. to each his own. however there is a plethora of info over there for the new BB10 devices. asking for that info on an apple geared site is useless.

on a side note, do your own research then if you think some places are more biased then others and make your own decision. people want to be spoon fed info these days instead of doing their own legwork, then criticize the way the info is provided.

mikeo007

macrumors 65816
Mar 18, 2010

The problem is, a negative review over there is ALWAYS, without exception met with harsh slander, insults, and more often than not results in the thread being closed and infractions being handed out.

There is a small but vocal subgroup of users over there who treat their phones as a religion. You see it all over the place, but Crackberry is by far the worst I've ever experienced.

you guys can say what you want. ive got over 8000 posts over on crackberry and have been browsing it for years, as i had numerous models of them before i switched to an iphone. ive learned alot of things on that site, and reviews of new devices were always fair by the site owner and others. every site, including this one, has its fanboys....so that point is useless. its one of the best websites for blackberry devices, just as i consider this site (not imore, crackberry's sister site) as the best iphone site. to each his own. however there is a plethora of info over there for the new BB10 devices. asking for that info on an apple geared site is useless.

on a side note, do your own research then if you think some places are more biased then others and make your own decision. people want to be spoon fed info these days instead of doing their own legwork, then criticize the way the info is provided.

I agree that the reviews on the front page are worth checking out. CBK is a self-proclaimed BlackBerry fanboy, but he writes an honest review. Of course it will be slanted in favour of BlackBerry, but at least they're honest.

The forums, however, are absolutely toxic. I've been a member there for a long time as well, and that place has gone straight downhill over the past 12-18 months. BlackBerry fanboys are a different breed. They've been in constant free fall for a long time. Their beloved devices kept falling further and further out of relevance, and their delusion kept growing. There is no such thing as a logical discussion over there anymore. Even if one starts, one of the rabid martyrs will pounce on the thread and start spewing insults and lies.

AND for those who think Crackberry is bad, there are even worse Blackberry fan sites where the absolute worst scum can be found. These are the members who who actually banned from Crackberry for being over the top fanatics. They actually go through the trouble of plotting against their "enemies" on Crackberry and attempting to attack them by any means possible.

It's a sad, sad state of affairs.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.