Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macgeek2005

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 31, 2006
Has anyone here ever had/used a G5 with 16GB of ram in it?

I'm just curious because i'm wondering how well it runs. I mean, does it do anything you want it to instantly? I would think that with that much ram, you could open up every Apple Pro App and every Adobe Suite App simultaneously and it wouldn't blink an eye.

Let me know if you have ever used a G5 with 16GB of ram.

iGary

May 26, 2004
Randy's House
macgeek2005 said:

I'm just curious because i'm wondering how well it runs. I mean, does it do anything you want it to instantly? I would think that with that much ram, you could open up every Apple Pro App and every Adobe Suite App simultaneously and it wouldn't blink an eye.

Only time you would ever need that much is for massive rendering multi-GB images and mathematic computations, depending on the app.

I have 8GB and the only time I ever use all of it is during a huge Photoshop batch (cache).

thegreatluke

macrumors 6502a
Dec 29, 2005
Earth
With current OS's, anything over 1GB won't make much of a difference in day-to-day operations. It will keep everything running smoothly when there are 30+ apps open, but how often does that happen? If the person works with RAW images or any other very large files, it will make a difference. Otherwise, nope.

CanadaRAM

macrumors G5
macgeek2005 said:

Oh.
Major misconception alert here

More RAM does not speed up a machine, it simply removes barriers to speed that exist when you have too little RAM. It's like saying: "Taking your foot off the brake is what speeds up the car". Wrong, taking your foot off merely stops slowing the car. The speed is determined by other things.

When you have less RAM than your programs and data are consuming, it forces the machine to swap data on and off the hard drive (these are the infamous PageOuts that you have read about) When the machine has to go to the hard drive to write or read memor swap files, it slows the whole machine down because a hard drive is many many times slower than RAM. When you have enough RAM for your applications and your data, then the machine is running at its full speed (or that is, it is limited in speed by the next most important bottleneck, whether that be CPU speed, drive speed or software.)

RAM doesn't affect processor speed, so once you have *enough* RAM for the applications and your data, more RAM will not affect performance.

RAM also doesn't affect hard drive perfomance, so more RAM will not improve loading times and saving times.

Having more RAM means that you can have more appications open at once, and more documents open, so that you can switch *between* windows without delays - that's a subjective improvement.

imacintel

macrumors 68000
Mar 12, 2006
CanadaRAM said:
Oh.
Major misconception alert here

More RAM does not speed up a machine, it simply removes barriers to speed that exist when you have too little RAM. It's like saying: "Taking your foot off the brake is what speeds up the car". Wrong, taking your foot off merely stops slowing the car. The speed is determined by other things.

When you have less RAM than your programs and data are consuming, it forces the machine to swap data on and off the hard drive (these are the infamous PageOuts that you have read about) When the machine has to go to the hard drive to write or read memor swap files, it slows the whole machine down because a hard drive is many many times slower than RAM. When you have enough RAM for your applications and your data, then the machine is running at its full speed (or that is, it is limited in speed by the next most important bottleneck, whether that be CPU speed, drive speed or software.)

RAM doesn't affect processor speed, so once you have *enough* RAM for the applications and your data, more RAM will not affect performance.

RAM also doesn't affect hard drive perfomance, so more RAM will not improve loading times and saving times.

Having more RAM means that you can have more appications open at once, and more documents open, so that you can switch *between* windows without delays - that's a subjective improvement.

Exactly. It's not too much Ram, but 16 GB! That might be a slight waste of money. Nice to be able to say you have the huge amount it is. Hell it's nice to say u have a Power Mac G5. My school had a sawtooth I was thnking of buying off them.
:)

Platform

macrumors 68030
Dec 30, 2004
iGary said:
Only time you would ever need that much is for massive rendering multi-GB images and mathematic computations, depending on the app.

I have 8GB and the only time I ever use all of it is during a huge Photoshop batch (cache).

Normally how much RAM is in use :confused:

FF_productions

macrumors 68030
Apr 16, 2005
Mt. Prospect, Illinois
iGary said:

iGary, you got a QUAD?? Tell me there is a thread about this that I missed!!!

Mord

macrumors G4
Aug 24, 2003
UK
anything more than 4GB and you should seriously consider EEC ram.

iGary

May 26, 2004
Randy's House
FF_productions said:
iGary, you got a QUAD?? Tell me there is a thread about this that I missed!!!

No, no thread - I asked the mods to lock it because I signed a *cough* *cough* agreement to *cough* be quiet *cough*. :D

Platform

macrumors 68030
Dec 30, 2004
iGary said:
Well right now I have Aperture, Indesign, Photoshop, Illustrator, Safari, iCal, Address Book, iChat and Mail open and I have 1.5 gigs free.

Well you are using very heavy apps and the more you have the more it takes....But no matter what I do I never exceed 1.1GB used RAM of 1.5GB......what's up with the 400 others :confused: (normal usage = 1GB)

SmurfBoxMasta

macrumors 65816
Nov 24, 2005
I'm only really here at night.
Well.....

I have 2Gb of ram in my sawtooth, and my wife & I work with numerous multi-GB, mega-layered images & text files all at once in PS, ILL, Office, QT, AW, iphoto, etc etc and we have yet to have a single pageout......

but then again, we use 3x 74GB Raptors as scratch disks too :)

Spanky Deluxe

macrumors demi-god
Mar 17, 2005
London, UK
Platform said:
Well you are using very heavy apps and the more you have the more it takes....But no matter what I do I never exceed 1.1GB used RAM of 1.5GB......what's up with the 400 others :confused: (normal usage = 1GB)

Its a common known fact that the last 396MB of RAM on an Apple system suffer from a rather bad odour. As such, OS X has an advanced system of memory prioritization in which it basically avoids those 396MB like the plague. Trust me, if you'd ever actually managed to make OS X use that memory it would have smelt, like really bad. You don't want that, take my word for it.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
I have 3gb in my powermac and its more than enough for me. I usually only have itune and photoshop open, or itunes and corel painter....

Zoowatch

macrumors 6502
Jan 6, 2004
Sheffield, UK
I have 4.5 GB of RAM in my PM and I must say that this is an overkill.

In fact i have never have a chance of using more than 70% of the RAM available.

Don't waste your $$$ on too much RAM.

2GB to 3GB is more than enough.

Sdashiki

macrumors 68040
Aug 11, 2005
Behind the lens
Um....

Spanky Deluxe said:
Its a common known fact that the last 396MB of RAM on an Apple system suffer from a rather bad odour. As such, OS X has an advanced system of memory prioritization in which it basically avoids those 396MB like the plague. Trust me, if you'd ever actually managed to make OS X use that memory it would have smelt, like really bad. You don't want that, take my word for it.

what?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.