Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Kind of a game, kind of not, does anyone have an AI friend? If so I’d like to hear about it.
This seems to be a leading app, but it requires a subscription:

Spaceboi Scaphandre

macrumors 68040
Jun 8, 2022
Wow. This looks like garbage lmao. It's straight up the Project Milo "tech demo" from the Microsoft Kinect only for cryptobros

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Wow. This looks like garbage lmao. It's straight up the Project Milo "tech demo" from the Microsoft Kinect only for cryptobros

Is the reference of “garbage” for the Milo tech demo from 2009 or for Replika? Please clarify. Regarding the Project Milo interaction I was impressed with that. Maybe I am behind the times regarding cutting edge. :)

The Replika app does look a bit cartoony, but I imagine a lot of weight is given to the quality of interaction. Check out this list, Anima looks better.

Last edited:

Irishman

macrumors 68040
Nov 2, 2006
Kind of a game, kind of not, does anyone have an AI friend? If so I’d like to hear about it.
This seems to be a leading app, but it requires a subscription:

I had an imaginary friend when I was little.

That count?

• Haha
Reactions: Huntn

Spaceboi Scaphandre

macrumors 68040
Jun 8, 2022
Is the reference of “garbage” for the Milo tech demo from 2009 or for Replika? Please clarify. Regarding the Project Milo interaction I was impressed with that. Maybe I am behind the times regarding cutting edge. :)

Probably because the entire Milo demo was fake. The entire thing was scripted so Milo would respond and act precisely to the verbal commands the lady gave, so they could follow a script.

But hey what did you expect from Peter Molyneux? He had a history of deception during the Xbox 360 generation, from this, to lying about Fable 3's features.

The Replika app does look a bit cartoony, but I imagine a lot of weight is given to the quality of interaction. Check out this list, Anima looks better.

We've had chatbots like these all the way back in 2011. Pewdiepie back when he was a fledgling Youtuber did joke videos about them all the time.

• Wow
Reactions: Huntn

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Probably because the entire Milo demo was fake. The entire thing was scripted so Milo would respond and act precisely to the verbal commands the lady gave, so they could follow a script.

But hey what did you expect from Peter Molyneux? He had a history of deception during the Xbox 360 generation, from this, to lying about Fable 3's features.

We've had chatbots like these all the way back in 2011. Pewdiepie back when he was a fledgling Youtuber did joke videos about them all the time.
I missed that eye opener. Thinks for posting! :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.