Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bosrs1

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 23, 2005
I'm trying to get my hands on one and wondered what people thought o fthem. I understand they're as big as a 12 inch PB is today.

5300cs

macrumors 68000
Nov 24, 2002
japan
Yeah, they're about as big as a 12" iBook. Nice and tough, too. The keyboard is sealed (or something like that) so that even if you spill liquid on it, it won't ruin the internals.

I got mine as a complete set, which included the cables, an AC adapter, install CD(s), instruction manuals and the unit itself.

It's not as fast as the MessagePad 2000 or 2100, it's still got the same 20Mhz processor that the previous Newtons had. Once you get used to the keyboard though, it can be quite nice to type on, and I think it comes with NewtWorks, which is a small Office program. If not, you can download it.

If you do decide to get an eMate, CHECK THE DISPLAY HINGES!!!
Some eMate could develop serious problems with their display hinges. On some models, you'd open the lid, hear a snap, and pretty soon your display would die. This was caused the display cable being squeezed and sometimes cut by the clips inside the hinge. Repairing it can be a major headache, but there are some preventative measures you can take. Here is an excellent website with lots of information: pda-soft.de

Hope that helps :)

Candyfingered

macrumors member
Mar 10, 2005
I just got one last week. They're a nice piece of equipment. A bit underpowered and B&W which makes them slow by today's standards... but they're ok.

Vector

macrumors 6502a
Feb 13, 2002
I have one that i bought a couple of years ago to add to my collection.

I love the case design of the eMate. It is one of my favorite Apple designs along with their other organic, curvy cases like my Wallstreet powerbook.

They are pretty much useless today, but it is still nice to use. You can still do a lot with them just like with Newtons, but there are much better solutions. It is also harder to connect them to newer computers and synch them, but it can be done.

If you are going to buy one, try to find one that still has a battery that will hold a charge. I was able to find one, but many of the ones on eBay are sold without working batteries. There are sites that have instructions on how to build new batteries that will work though.

They are about the size of the 12" powerbooks, but a lot of the size is actually just extra casing that makes the design look better.

Candyfingered

macrumors member
Mar 10, 2005
Vector said:
I have one that i bought a couple of years ago to add to my collection.

I love the case design of the eMate. It is one of my favorite Apple designs along with their other organic, curvy cases like my Wallstreet powerbook.

They are pretty much useless today, but it is still nice to use. You can still do a lot with them just like with Newtons, but there are much better solutions. It is also harder to connect them to newer computers and synch them, but it can be done.

If you are going to buy one, try to find one that still has a battery that will hold a charge. I was able to find one, but many of the ones on eBay are sold without working batteries. There are sites that have instructions on how to build new batteries that will work though.

They are about the size of the 12" powerbooks, but a lot of the size is actually just extra casing that makes the design look better.

Do you have the site with the new batteries? I need one.

Vector

macrumors 6502a
Feb 13, 2002
Candyfingered said:
Do you have the site with the new batteries? I need one.

Here is the site that tells you how to refurbish them yourself and has the relevant links you need for the batteries. The guy says that he will do it for you, but then you will have to pay him and it isn't that hard to do by yourself.

edit: it might help if i put the link in - http://www.pda-soft.de/emate_battery_pack.html

I just realized this is the same main site that was mentioned earlier in the thread.

stevep

macrumors 6502a
Oct 13, 2004
UK
I bought one new some years ago - and I've still got the box, software, cd's, cables, book etc. When I bought my iBook last November I linked them up (using a serial/usb adaptor) and got them talking, just for the sake of it.
It's possible to buy a wireless pc network card for networking, but I haven't pursued that one.
The keyboard is really nice - I remember that being my first impression when I took it out of the box.
Trouble is, I don't use it now - perhaps I should head over to the classified forum....

SilentPanda

Moderator emeritus
Oct 8, 2002
The Bamboo Forest
I have one and it's a decent enough machine... I might even be willing to part with it...

I have the eMate 300, stylus, new battery (bought from interstate batteries so it's not even refurbished... it's been used for maybe... 2 or 3 hours tops), an eMate 300 charger, and eMate 300 serial cable (plugs into an 8 or 9 did serial port like on the back of most intel desktops), a DVD with the Newton Archive files on it, and.... oh yeah! A PCMCIA ethernet card and dongle which works with it.

Yup. I've already taken care of the hinges and the display is bright and crisp with no scratches (or dead pixels for that matter!). It's a great little machine but alas I have no use for it... maybe I should head to the classifieds myself....

150hp

macrumors regular
Jul 26, 2004
Door County, WI, USA
I bought an eMate last year for my eBay business. I do auctions for hire. I go to someone's house, snap a few pics & write up a description on the eMate & then go home & hook it up to my iMac & make the auctions. I love it because all I need is a glorified typewriter & that is what it is. So I reccommend it IF you understand what it can & cannot do.

Enjoy!

nefermoon

macrumors newbie
Mar 30, 2005
I'm getting one, too!

I'm getting an eMate and I'm thrilled - I just discovered the eMate yesterday after searching for cheap, refurbished laptops. I thought I'd have to settle for some half-dead IBM laptop, and still pay more than the old technology is worth.

All I want is a word processor that I can take anywhere, and the eMate seems to be just what I wanted. And it's adorable!

I bought one off eBay last night with a working screen, power cord and a charge-holding battery. I'm going to pay close attention to its hinges when it arrives. ;)

I have a G4 at home. I think I'll need to get a Serial/USB adapter, but what else will I need to have in order to hook the eMate up for transferring files? Is there a driver to install? I don't believe that the eMate I'm getting off ebay will include any installation disks.

SilentPanda

Moderator emeritus
Oct 8, 2002
The Bamboo Forest
nefermoon said:
I have a G4 at home. I think I'll need to get a Serial/USB adapter, but what else will I need to have in order to hook the eMate up for transferring files? Is there a driver to install? I don't believe that the eMate I'm getting off ebay will include any installation disks.

Try http://www.unna.org for software (both PC side and eMate side). You might also look at the Newton Talk website (I can't remember the URL off the top of my head but it's probably NewtonTalk.com or something like that... google will find it).

You might consider joining the Newton Talk mailing list and reading everything you can about the eMate. I have one and feel quite knowledgable about it even though I don't use it often.

nefermoon

macrumors newbie
Mar 30, 2005
Wow, that's a lot of information to go over.

I guess I'll need to save most of my questions for when I get the eMate. I've got a Serial->USB adapter on order, and I guess I'll need to find an eMate serial adapter (dongle, was it?) as well.

Is there anything else I can expect to have to get? I have no intention of connecting the eMate to the internet unless I can't get my information to/from it any other way.

If my hinges seem fine, do folks recommend installing washers just in case, or is it better to avoid opening up the casing?

Thanks for the links, SilentPanda. I've joined the mailing list and bookmarked the archive. I'm excited to hear I can do more than I realized with the eMate. :)

Doctor Q

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
I've got two eMate 300s, but I haven't used them in ages. I know they worked a year or two ago. I wonder if they still do? They just live on a shelf as collector's items.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.