Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DualShock

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 29, 2008
I'm looking for a used / refurb backup iPhone to use primarily as an iPod Touch. I'm currently using an old 5S for this purpose but it's stuck on iOS 12 and just otherwise showing its age and I'm looking to retire it in favor of a newer model, at least an iPhone 7. (I am aware that I can just buy an iPod Touch but I'm looking for something with a bigger screen as well.)

I came across Backmarket and their advertisement of "certified refurbished by Apple" phones. These appear to still come from 3rd party resellers but I'm guessing they sourced them from Apple in one way or another. Their selection is quite slim at the moment but was wondering if anyone has ever bought one of these, or any other non-certified phones from them, and what your experiences were.

Or if anyone has any other experiences they'd like to share from buying refurb from other retailers (Gazelle, Swappa, etc.) that would be great also. Thanks!

Cancelled
Apr 16, 2020
I've only bought refurbs from Apple (with consistently excellent experiences) , so don't have experience with Backmarket, but the first thing I'd recommend is to review in detail its return policy.

paulsonj72

macrumors regular
Mar 28, 2010
I'm looking for a used / refurb backup iPhone to use primarily as an iPod Touch. I'm currently using an old 5S for this purpose but it's stuck on iOS 12 and just otherwise showing its age and I'm looking to retire it in favor of a newer model, at least an iPhone 7. (I am aware that I can just buy an iPod Touch but I'm looking for something with a bigger screen as well.)

I came across Backmarket and their advertisement of "certified refurbished by Apple" phones. These appear to still come from 3rd party resellers but I'm guessing they sourced them from Apple in one way or another. Their selection is quite slim at the moment but was wondering if anyone has ever bought one of these, or any other non-certified phones from them, and what your experiences were.

Or if anyone has any other experiences they'd like to share from buying refurb from other retailers (Gazelle, Swappa, etc.) that would be great also. Thanks!

Not for an iPhone but I did buy my MacBook Pro there and had a good experience

cc999

macrumors 6502
Jul 15, 2008
Use Swappa its the best. I have sold and purchased over 40 phones through the years and every experience was positive.

CC

DiCaprioAngel

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2013
New York
Just read up on the description for what is advertised. If I’m not mistaken, on most refurbished products, warranty with the seller is for a year so you should be good on that. Just read up on the listing before you purchase anything and contact the seller and ask questions if needed.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.