Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mrgrieves

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 19, 2007
I just realized that with my student discount, I can get the 17" for only $100 more than the normal 15" price. Now I plan to use the laptop for a few death by powerpoint classes, so it's not going to really be a laptop restricted to the house.

That said, do the 17" laptops feel very awkward to carry around? Are there any other factors that should be considered when making the decision between the two?

My friend told me that the 15" laptop has the new LED display, while the 17" does not. I have no idea what this means, could anyone please clarify?

Do they have the same battery life?

Essentially, if you could have either one for free, which would you pick?

Blue Velvet

Moderator emeritus
Jul 4, 2004
I have a 17" 2.33 MBP which is mostly used as a desktop replacement. However, I have carried it into the office a few times and it's pretty cumbersome and heavy, even though I've got a proper bag for it. I also move it around the flat at times too and that's obviously easier.

If both machines were equal in all respects, I'd go for the 15". When I purchased mine, that option wasn't there for the stock models, so I got the 17" for the larger hard drive.

josiahcooper

macrumors member
Sep 22, 2007
i was thinking about getting the 17 inch, but i settled fot the 15, and when it arrived, i was releived that i didn't go for the 17, the 15 is a lot bigger that i thought it would be because its widescreen. just depends how mobile you are with it.

mrgrieves

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 19, 2007
Thanks for the input. I imagined that having a nice big 17" screen would be gorgeous to look at, but after your input I'll probably be getting a 15.

Either way I'll be dropping into a store and checking them out in person to make the final decision.

Basically though, battery life and the LED display aren't issues?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.