Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mikemodena

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 30, 2005
Connecticut
Hey everyone.. for my english project I filmed a few scenes from Mary Shelly's Frankenstein. All was well yesterday and I would have finished it up within the next hour, but I had a bit of a party last night and I think a few of my friend's messed with my computer (one knows FCP, but he was drunk....) and now the audio on all my tracks is way out of whack. FCP says its synced, but when I play it there is no audio for a few seconds, then it starts.. obviously extremely unsynced. I tried to download FCP Rescue but it says Bandwidth exceeded.. does anyone have a copy I could give you an FTP login on my home file server where you could upload it for me? I'd really appreciate it.. thanks in advance!

Rod Rod

macrumors 68020
Sep 21, 2003
Las Vegas, NV
in case you haven't already tried this . . .

Go to Documents / Final Cut Pro Documents / Autosave Vault, or within FCP, select Restore. The backups are named according the time and date, so just pick a file that's from before your friend messed with your computer. I hope that works!

mikemodena

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 30, 2005
Connecticut
Rod Rod said:
Go to Documents / Final Cut Pro Documents / Autosave Vault, or within FCP, select Restore. The backups are named according the time and date, so just pick a file that's from before your friend messed with your computer. I hope that works!

Thanks.. but it's the same problem. It's definately something in the FCP Preferences. It's not the clips themselves as I checked the imported files in quicktime and they're fine

Rod Rod

macrumors 68020
Sep 21, 2003
Las Vegas, NV
mikemodena said:
Thanks.. but it's the same problem. It's definately something in the FCP Preferences. It's not the clips themselves as I checked the imported files in quicktime and they're fine
You're welcome.. sorry it didn't work. In case you haven't tried this, have you shut down the computer, let it cool off for a minute, then rebooted?

mikemodena

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 30, 2005
Connecticut
LethalWolfe said:
Have you tried synching the audio up by hand?

Lethal

Yes... and to Rod Rod i tried that also..

I think I need to reinstall Final Cut Pro.. which I'll do when I get a chance. I found that if I play from the beginning of the timeline it's fine, and when I export and watch in QT it's fine.. I'll be able to finish this project although it will be tricky.

Rod Rod

macrumors 68020
Sep 21, 2003
Las Vegas, NV
Do you have any USB or FireWire stuff connected? Maybe FCP isn't liking an iSight or a USB/FW audio device. Who knows, it could even be a USB printer or scanner acting up. My ex's HP printer killed her iBook's USB ports so anything's possible.

mikemodena

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 30, 2005
Connecticut
Rod Rod said:
Do you have any USB or FireWire stuff connected? Maybe FCP isn't liking an iSight or a USB/FW audio device. Who knows, it could even be a USB printer or scanner acting up. My ex's HP printer killed her iBook's USB ports so anything's possible.

You're pretty close with that.. I just figured it out.. one of my stupid friends started playing with my audio settings and took it off line out and put it on aggregate device. I fixed it :D

puckhead193

macrumors G3
May 25, 2004
NY
mikemodena said:
You're pretty close with that.. I just figured it out.. one of my stupid friends started playing with my audio settings and took it off line out and put it on aggregate device. I fixed it :D
Good i'm glad, hope it doesn't set you too far back.... I know the feeling...

mikemodena

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 30, 2005
Connecticut
puckhead193 said:
Good i'm glad, hope it doesn't set you too far back.... I know the feeling...

Yup.. just finished and about to burn the DVD. I have 4 projects due over a 2 week period.. :eek:

Rod Rod

macrumors 68020
Sep 21, 2003
Las Vegas, NV
mikemodena said:
Congratulations. Thanks for letting everyone here know about what else to check when things go weird with audio sync.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.