Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacBandit

macrumors 604
Original poster
I have been using OWC for about a year now and have had no problems. In fact I have had exceptional service so I have always recommended them. Now though I am not so sure. I have a friend I pointed to OWC and he bought a CPU upgrade from them. When he got it installed it worked for a couple weeks then failed. He sent it back after talking to them and they said it would 2-3 weeks. After they received it they tested it multiple times and it failed on more then one of the tests so they told him they would replace it and would be shipping it out right away. Well now 3 months later and many many calls and emails later the item has still not shipped to him. This is really bad business and I am on the verge of pulling favors across the community to have the story published front page on all the major Mac sites.

Has anyone else had similar bad experiences with OWC?

MacManDan

macrumors 6502
Apr 11, 2003
I only have limited experience with OWC (I have only purchased 1 item from them), but I have nothing but good words for their service and their product. I have one of those OWC Screen Protectors for my powerbook, and I remember that they shipped it fast, answered my questions quickly and satisfactorily. It's not exactly hardware that I would send back and ask for a replacement, but I thought I would add my own experience with them.

MacBandit

macrumors 604
Original poster
Originally posted by MacManDan
I only have limited experience with OWC (I have only purchased 1 item from them), but I have nothing but good words for their service and their product. I have one of those OWC Screen Protectors for my powerbook, and I remember that they shipped it fast, answered my questions quickly and satisfactorily. It's not exactly hardware that I would send back and ask for a replacement, but I thought I would add my own experience with them.

Thanks this has been pretty much my own experience with them, good that is. I have a Kensington StudioMouse that had some finish problems. I informed OWC of it and they sent me another one and said to keep the old one. Honestly it was all but that simple. Up until this situation with my friend I would have trusted them with my wallet. Now I'm reconsidering them altogether. I've sent them a letter on behalf of my friend. We'll see what action they take but they better make it prompt.

MacManDan

macrumors 6502
Apr 11, 2003
Originally posted by MacBandit
Thanks this has been pretty much my own experience with them, good that is. I have a Kensington StudioMouse that had some finish problems. I informed OWC of it and they sent me another one and said to keep the old one. Honestly it was all but that simple. Up until this situation with my friend I would have trusted them with my wallet. Now I'm reconsidering them altogether. I've sent them a letter on behalf of my friend. We'll see what action they take but they better make it prompt.

Since you've only seen this once (with your friend's issue), I'll bet it's probably just an isolated case. OWC has been great to many, many people, and even the best companies mess up sometimes. Hopefully they'll get the issue resolved pretty quick (and appease you and your friend!) Good luck...

MacBandit

macrumors 604
Original poster
Originally posted by MacManDan
Since you've only seen this once (with your friend's issue), I'll bet it's probably just an isolated case. OWC has been great to many, many people, and even the best companies mess up sometimes. Hopefully they'll get the issue resolved pretty quick (and appease you and your friend!) Good luck...

I've been thinking the same thing but that is why I posted this thread. I want to see if there are others out there with stories of bad customer relations with OWC.

kaltsasa

macrumors 6502a
Jan 9, 2002
Kellogg IA
I've also had good luck with them. From screen protectors to hard drives, they've always been quick and courtious to me. Have your freind call up and ask to speak to a manager. Usually that can get anything cleared up that needs be.

Goblin2099

macrumors member
Jul 18, 2002
New York City
I actually had some problems myself, but it all worked out well in the end.
I bought some ram for my powerbook, but one of the pieces was faulty and the other piece didn't even fit. When I sent them back, they claimed that the faulty piece was fine and just returned the exact same one to me along with a new one. The new one worked fine, but I had to send the other one back AGAIN, and I think it was pretty obnoxious to just tell me that I didn't know whether or not a stick of ram that prevented my computer from booting was bad.
But despite that pain, the responses were usually fairly quick, and I did end up with a great deal on 1gig of ram that hasn't failed me yet.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.