Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

PauloSera

Suspended
Oct 12, 2022
I can’t say they are always ugly, look at a Tesla install, and they (someone) are supposed to be working on solar shingles.
Solar shingles already exist, but they are not cost effective or efficient. They're just an expensive proof of concept. It would be great if we all could have solar roofing that feeds directly into a storage unit that feeds our home and reduces our draw from the electrical grid...but that's still nothing more than a fantasy at this point.

• Sad
Reactions: Huntn

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Solar shingles already exist, but they are not cost effective or efficient. They're just an expensive proof of concept. It would be great if we all could have solar roofing that feeds directly into a storage unit that feeds our home and reduces our draw from the electrical grid...but that's still nothing more than a fantasy at this point.
Capitalism is not designed to save the planet… how apropos.

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
I haven’t read the entire thread, but anyway… 😂

Firstly, it would be great to come out ahead financially by installing solar panels. I’m going to break even on the cost of my panels after 7-8 years of ownership, so I’m not concerned about this at all.

However, purely in response to the original post, you really need to think about it in terms of what motivates people into considering solar, because for me, even if I never broke even on the purchase, I’m willing to pay a bit more to reduce my environmental impact.

I already do this for many other decisions that I make, as long as it doesn’t feel like “green-washing” BS that is purely meant to make you feel like you’re doing something, but you’re not doing anything (e.g. EVs for the most part, products pushed as environmental because they’re made from recycled plastic bottles, etc). 🤷🏻‍♂️

bushman4

macrumors 601
Mar 22, 2011
Rebates on the solar panels have dropped considerably
To make it worth while you need a battery system which in some cities is not permitted
Lastly remember that if you have to fix your roof after the solar panels are installed it becomes very costly as the solar company has to remove and then reinstall the panels after the roof work

Only a good idea if your electric bill is extremely high and you have a new roof

Additional home insurance is needed once panels are installed

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
So here in the UK we pay a lot more for electricity. Bills have typically doubled in the last 12 months so we have been looking into it.

My Dad purchased solar panels outright about 8 years ago. Back then the incentive scheme was very good. He sells his excess power back to the grid at a higher price than he buys his electricity from them when he isn’t producing power.
Unfortunately now you get paid about a tenth per unit that you sell back to them. So unless you use a lot of power in the day you have to buy a battery as well.
I do work from home some days and have an EV but usage is still higher in the evening. I rarely charge the EV at home as I’m able to charge for free at the office.
So the panels plus the battery cost are prohibitive. As much as I’d like to do it from an environmental viewpoint I think it just doesn’t work for us at the moment. That’s not even factoring in the roof on our place is 60 years old so is likely to need replacing at some point.

Oh and it’s not as sunny in the UK most of the year!

Reactions: Scepticalscribe

Quake1028

macrumors 6502
Jun 22, 2011
Sunshine State
We have them on our roof in a small array to heat our pool. We didn't put them in, previous owner had them installed. They do a good job, Lord knows we get enough sun here.

Lord Blackadder

macrumors P6
May 7, 2004
Sod off
Countries will need to start switching from fossil fuels to renewable energy fast if the world wants to prevent some of the most severe consequences of the climate catastrophe.
The issue is that installing solar panels, wind turbines, batteries, and other renewable energy systems costs the world trillions of dollars, making it too expensive to develop all that new infrastructure.
However, a recent study reveals that these expenses might just be transient.
The total social expenses associated with fossil fuel use might be taken into account to achieve even greater savings. Researchers discovered that the globe could recover its entire investment in renewable infrastructure in less than a year when they added up all the money saved by avoiding things like air pollution from power plants and climate harm.
Although there is one not so unimportant question. Do we have enough metals and resources to do so? And if we do… at what environmental cost?
A reality of the situation is that there are no easy solutions. Renewable energy comes with a substantial initial capital cost and is not a 1:1 replacement for fossil fuels (nothing ever will be). But on the other hand we have been ignoring the 'costs' of fossil fuels all along.

xraydoc

Contributor
Oct 9, 2005
We have solar panels on our house. Since we put them in, they've produced 45.5 MWh of electricity -- about 12 MWh per year or 1 MWh per month, which is more than the average US home uses. It's cut our summer electricity bills by well over half even when the AC is on full tilt, and our winter electricity bills by 2/3. And since I drive an EV which gets charged at home, I spend essentially nothing on fuel annually.

The break-even point is 15 yrs (which includes the tax rebates we received when they were installed), of which we're over 3.5 years in to, so less than 12 years to go. And since it's unlikely that we'll move in the next 12 yrs, we're satisfied with the tradeoff. And even if we do, the price of the panels would be rolled into the price of the home. They've so far been completely maintenance free, so there has been no additional costs thus far.

Almost half of the homes in our neighborhood also have solar panels, so since they're mostly larger homes, it significantly reduces the footprint of the neighborhood.

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
We have solar panels on our house. Since we put them in, they've produced 45.5 MWh of electricity -- about 12 MWh per year or 1 MWh per month, which is more than the average US home uses. It's cut our summer electricity bills by well over half even when the AC is on full tilt, and our winter electricity bills by 2/3. And since I drive an EV which gets charged at home, I spend essentially nothing on fuel annually.

The break-even point is 15 yrs (which includes the tax rebates we received when they were installed), of which we're over 3.5 years in to, so less than 12 years to go. And since it's unlikely that we'll move in the next 12 yrs, we're satisfied with the tradeoff. And even if we do, the price of the panels would be rolled into the price of the home. They've so far been completely maintenance free, so there has been no additional costs thus far.

Almost half of the homes in our neighborhood also have solar panels, so since they're mostly larger homes, it significantly reduces the footprint of the neighborhood.
12 years for a pay off is more than I’d want though. As much as I’d love them, I couldn’t afford that. Not until we finish the mortgage anyway.
But that will vary by country I’m sure. Not much sun here in the UK a lot of the time.

Victor Cruz

macrumors newbie
Feb 7, 2023
I’m thinking about it, in the past, I have looked at a huge upfront price, 10 years to pay off, and then possible maintenance issues.

However here is the key if my payments equals my current electric bill or doubtful is less than my current electric bill, then it would be worth it. One solar panel rep who caught me in brief conversation at Costco says their panels have a 25 year warranty. I’m going to go for a free consultation.

Questions
  • I wonder who provides that warranty on panels, will they be around in 20 years?
  • Does the setup include batteries capable of running the house electrical/AC needs through the night, or does it start pulling from the grid?
  • Does a typical setup, feed back into the grid, and be paid for the contribution?
  • What incentives are available to defer the cost?
  • do solar panels function during overcast skies?
  • I’m thinking about it, in the past, I have looked at a huge upfront price, 10 years to pay off, and then possible maintenance issues.

However here is the key if my payments equals my current electric bill or doubtful is less than my current electric bill, then it would be worth it. One solar panel rep who caught me in brief conversation at Costco says their panels have a 25 year warranty. I’m going to go for a free consultation.

Questions
    • I wonder who provides that warranty on panels, will they be around in 20 years?
    • Does the setup include batteries capable of running the house electrical/AC needs through the night, or does it start pulling from the grid?
    • Does a typical setup, feed back into the grid, and be paid for the contribution?
    • What incentives are available to defer the cost?
    • do solar panels function during overcast skies?
    Yes Solar Companies provide warranties of 20 to years and also provide after sale services.
you can install batteries with panels, but you have to plan at the time of installation of Solar system.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
The last time I talked to 2 solar panel install companies, not a peep was said about credits or rebates. 🤔 I found there to be too many open questions in my thinking. If you plan on staying in a house, it should pay off. If you maybe are moving within 5 years, I could easily see it not paying off, because it’s like having a pool, which may have cost you $35k, a seller may pay $10k more for the pool, but you can’t simply tack $35k onto your sale price and expect the buyer to pay it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.