Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ArkSingularity

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 5, 2022
Hello all,

I've been using Time Machine on an external MyPassport 5TB drive for a little while now, and it's recently started taking an unusually long time to mount. Sometimes it will take upwards of 10 minutes to detect the disk. Trying to mount manually through disk utility does not work either, I usually just have to keep the drive connected and wait it out.

Eventually the drive mounts and the backup begins. Speeds seem normal once the volume is actually detected, but for some reason, MacOS seems to be having quite a hard time getting encrypted time machine volumes mounted quickly.

Not really the end of the world, perhaps this is just an anecdotal fluke on my end. Figured I'd ask and see if anyone else had experienced this (I have no problems with just reformatting the drive, but I wouldn't want to do that if I wasn't sure it would resolve the issue.)

MacCheetah3

macrumors 68020
Nov 14, 2003
Central MN
That seems par for the course.

I have a 2TB HDD for one of my encrypted Time Machine backups.

Available space: ~708 GB
Drive power on to password prompt: ~59 seconds
Password prompt on screen: ~1 minute, 39 seconds
Total time to mount: ~2 minutes, 38 seconds

Unfortunately, a lot of the cause is an encrypted Time Machine volume is forced to be used with APFS. APFS is a good file system, however, its optimization is for modern hardware.

frou

macrumors 65816
Mar 14, 2009
I have been experiencing this ever since macOS Monterey. 4TB USB drives taking up to 5 minutes for their volume to mount.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.