Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hawkeye_a

macrumors 68000
Jun 27, 2016
I got a Pro Controller.

I primarily use my Switch docked, so if the Joy-Cons run out of battery, id have to dock them to charge before being able to play. The Pro Controller comes with a USBA to USBC cable, and can charge from the dock while playing in console mode, so it solves that problem.

The charging grip was an option I suppose, but I ended up going for the Pro controller because of the reviews, and ..... it is what it is, a great 'classic' controller (not as great as the GCN controller mind you). Had the charging grip come with the console in the box, I probably wouldn't have gotten a Pro controller. But, considering I'm a single player gamer who plans on using the Switch as a home console, i think the Pro controller will serve its purpose well.

Cheers

Cnasty

macrumors 68040
Jul 2, 2008
God yes.

It is one of the best controllers out there for any console.

Also, it has amazing battery life. Maybe not compared to the Wii U one but I have only had to charge it once in months.

I play mostly docked though so YMMV.

Mac'nCheese

Suspended
Feb 9, 2010
I'm glad I bought mine but if you want to save money, using the joy cons, for me, isn't that bad, either. I played zelda for a few days that way and didn't mind it at all. But its also easier to charge the pro (even while using it) as others have already said.

wchigo

macrumors 6502
Apr 6, 2015
Worth is subjective. I bought the Pro Controller mainly so that I can keep my joy cons docked all the time, and I like having a traditional d-pad for the times where I want to use it. So it was worth it to me, might not be worth it to you...

KevinRightWing

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 15, 2007
Houston TX
I went ahead and bought one. Wow. It is a great controller. Well worth the $70 spent. Perfect for Zelda and Street Fighter. Thanks for the help everyone.

the8thark

macrumors 601
Apr 18, 2011
I went ahead and bought one. Wow. It is a great controller. Well worth the $70 spent. Perfect for Zelda and Street Fighter. Thanks for the help everyone.
Congrats on the purchase. I also think it's well worth the money. It's great for most games. The D-Pad make it perfect for retro inspired games.

the8thark

macrumors 601
Apr 18, 2011
It's totally worth the money. I agree with all the other comments above. It just feels great to use and the d-pad is really nice for retro inspired games. I would recommend you think seriously about which design you want. So far there is 3 announced. Standard, Splatoon and Xenoblade Chronicles 2.

The only downside is you can't can't scan boxed amiibo (with anti NFC sticky removed) with the pro controller, you have to use the joycon for that.

scottcampbell

macrumors 6502
Aug 7, 2017
I held out for about 5 months, never used one, then I went to PAX and played demos with the Pro Controller.
I pretty much raced to buy one - it was that good.
Super comfortable controller, great layout and button sizes - can't recommend it enough.

Reactions: the8thark

hagr182

macrumors regular
Apr 6, 2010
I thought the joy-cons were ok as a controller and I have very big hands, I liked them so much I decided to skipping the pro altogether, that´s until I found a Pro Controller on Sale (got it 50%)...

The battery lasts forever (40 hours or so) I had to recharge it last monday since buying it, so I took the joy-cons out (I hate playing with wired controllers) and put them on the grip, now I do find them very small, it´s like I´ve been spoiled by the pro-controller; I just couldn´t go back.

Now I use my joy-cons only for certain games or on the go; for everything else I use the pro. The only cons are that the triggers aren´t pressure sensitive and that the buttons are just a tad too large for my taste; still worth every penny, get it if you find it on sale

scottcampbell

macrumors 6502
Aug 7, 2017
I thought the joy-cons were ok as a controller and I have very big hands, I liked them so much I decided to skipping the pro altogether, that´s until I found a Pro Controller on Sale (got it 50%)...

The battery lasts forever (40 hours or so) I had to recharge it last monday since buying it, so I took the joy-cons out (I hate playing with wired controllers) and put them on the grip, now I do find them very small, it´s like I´ve been spoiled by the pro-controller; I just couldn´t go back.

Now I use my joy-cons only for certain games or on the go; for everything else I use the pro. The only cons are that the triggers aren´t pressure sensitive and that the buttons are just a tad too large for my taste; still worth every penny, get it if you find it on sale
Wow, where did you find it 50% off?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.