Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

galganog

macrumors member
Original poster
May 1, 2006
So since i finally got boot camp to run on my computer I thought I would take the plunge and buy another MMO.

I stopped playing WoW after it slowly consumed a big portion of my life and time. AKA i spent about two years playing it being in a guild and all of that jazz.

Guild Wars seems to me a much more friendly solo play and casual playing game than WoW. Like now with the life i have i can log on for 2 hours or 1 hour and do a mission or 3 without having to find a group and travel. All i need to do is click and BAM i am in a new place completeing and exploring a new place.

I also think that the scenery is much more beautiful than WoW. AKA some of the architecture really blew me away in some of the locations that I have been while the eye sloping cartoon texture after a while tends to grate on me.

Well anyway I was curious if anyone made a switch from WoW to Guild Wars and enjoyed it more or less. If you like WoW don't get offended though its a good game it just isn't my sytle any more.

miller218

macrumors member
Aug 28, 2006
I was at my HS reunion a month ago and a classmate of mine plays it a lot and he really likes it. Personally, I think he's one of those "If it's popular, it can't possibly be good" people, but that is another matter.

He mentioned that travel is quick in GW and I like the idea of how people have a main class and a secondary class (want to have a warrior that sub-specializes in bows? You can do that.)

I can see how after two years WoW can be a grind, I've only been playing a year. GW might be getting some momentum from the new expansion that just came out.

I don't have an intel Mac so I'm stuck with WoW until I upgrade. My main is in a good guild and I have fun with my alts too.

Regarding graphics, blizzard traded off model complexity for the ability to play well on low end machines. The art in Wow makes up for the loss of detail, Blizz definitely has great production values.

I've enjoyed all the Blizzard games since WC2 and I'll support them for a long time if they keep making Mac games, it's really important to me as along time Mac user. I'm glad you're having fun with Guild Wars, that's the point of a game to have fun.

So since i finally got boot camp to run on my computer I thought I would take the plunge and buy another MMO.

I stopped playing WoW after it slowly consumed a big portion of my life and time. AKA i spent about two years playing it being in a guild and all of that jazz.

Guild Wars seems to me a much more friendly solo play and casual playing game than WoW. Like now with the life i have i can log on for 2 hours or 1 hour and do a mission or 3 without having to find a group and travel. All i need to do is click and BAM i am in a new place completeing and exploring a new place.

I also think that the scenery is much more beautiful than WoW. AKA some of the architecture really blew me away in some of the locations that I have been while the eye sloping cartoon texture after a while tends to grate on me.

Well anyway I was curious if anyone made a switch from WoW to Guild Wars and enjoyed it more or less. If you like WoW don't get offended though its a good game it just isn't my sytle any more.

Stridder44

macrumors 68040
Mar 24, 2003
California
WoW has just gotten waaay too stale for me. I guess I'd be considered a light gamer (game only like 2-3 times a week maybe just for funsies). Once I realized it would take like 7 months to get to 70 I just canceled my account. I had a 29 twink which was a ton of fun, but other than that WoW was lame.

liquidthunder

macrumors newbie
Dec 1, 2006
WoW has just gotten waaay too stale for me. I guess I'd be considered a light gamer (game only like 2-3 times a week maybe just for funsies). Once I realized it would take like 7 months to get to 70 I just canceled my account. I had a 29 twink which was a ton of fun, but other than that WoW was lame.

I tried to ween myself off of WoW with Guild Wars: Nightfall. Man, I hated that game. I played it only a handful of times. Leveling seemed to go at light speed and I think the level capped at 20 or so. I admit the graphics were cool, but to me. It did not have the depth of WoW. In fact, WoW is my most favorite game on the planet. I also agree with Miller218 about Blizzard and their support for the MAc platform. One of the only companies who caters to the mac community and puts us on the same playing field as the PC crowd. In fact, I believe that alone is why their are 8 million subscribers to this game. They realize that Mac has a bigger community if you include the worldwide computer markets.

luftwaffles08

macrumors newbie
Jul 7, 2007
I was absolutely obsessed with GW for the longest time and only when I purchased my MBP did I force myself to go cold turkey on it. I think when I finally quit I was around 450 hours on it, so that gives you a good idea of what I was doing in my spare time.

I think it really depends on who you're playing with in both WoW and GW. Due to how upper level areas are set up in GW, it seems you're more likely to find people who are actually willing to execute team play. When I played WoW, it seemed like I found people who cared less about your well being as long as they got loot. I could also be biased since I was in a guild for my time in GW but that's my impression.

GW also has the nice bonus where if you don't want to play with people, you don't have to. Similar to Oblivion, if you don't want a twelve year old to ruin your experience, you'll never load with him while doing missions.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.