Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Original poster
Jul 16, 2002
Right now I have an ATT iPad Air w/ unlimited iPad data and a WiFi mini. I will be upgrade to rMini @ release this month.

Thinking of getting an ATT mini this time if I could switch the SIM between the two w/o ATT caring. Anyone currently do this? Or does it trigger an alert @ ATT which results in an Acct TKO?

ZBoater

macrumors G3
Jul 2, 2007
Sunny Florida
I would like to know as well. When you log in the first time, your SIM is associated with the account. I am thinking that swapping SIMs alone won't do it. You will have to log into the account in both iPads, and the system won't like that. But I'm guessing.

techiegirl

macrumors 65816
Sep 7, 2007
You can swap SIM cards between devices. The SIM is not "bound" to the iPad.

This...

I've been swapping SIM cards back and forth for a while now. I put the SIM card in my kids' iPad on weekends and back in my iPad during the week, when I need the data.

ZBoater

macrumors G3
Jul 2, 2007
Sunny Florida
You can swap SIM cards between devices. The SIM is not "bound" to the iPad.

That's not what the message I got said when I logged onto the AT&T account on the new iPad. I don't think it is that far fetched to expect AT&T to know which iPad you are using with what SIM.

techiegirl

macrumors 65816
Sep 7, 2007
That's not what the message I got said when I logged onto the AT&T account on the new iPad.

Do not log in back and forth between the 2 iPads. Just take the SIM card out and put it in a different iPad.

Coleman2010

macrumors 68000
Oct 9, 2010
NYC
Mmmmm, maybe someone else is brave enough to try it with their SIM. I'm not trying it with mine. ;)

The data account is on the SIM card. Not the iPad. I can swap my AT&T iPad unlimited data SIM into any GSM iPad and it will work.

ZBoater

macrumors G3
Jul 2, 2007
Sunny Florida
The data account is on the SIM card. Not the iPad. I can swap my AT&T iPad unlimited data SIM into any GSM iPad and it will work.

And once you stick that SIM into another iPad, what's the next step? Will it "just work", or do you have to go into Setting/Cellular/Account and log in?

techiegirl

macrumors 65816
Sep 7, 2007
I always turn off devices before swapping SIM cards. Once I swap and turn the device back on, it just works.

Coleman2010

macrumors 68000
Oct 9, 2010
NYC
And once you stick that SIM into another iPad, what's the next step? Will it "just work", or do you have to go into Setting/Cellular/Account and log in?
You do not need to log in. Just put it into the iPad. Toggle on and off airplane mode or reboot.

Coleman2010

macrumors 68000
Oct 9, 2010
NYC
Do you have an unlimited data plan? Go ahead and try it. Let me know how it works out for you. :)
If you're afraid to do your own then buy another data plan on the 2nd iPad and pay both.

I'm not here to do your experiments for you.

techiegirl

macrumors 65816
Sep 7, 2007
I've been doing it for several months. Our family of 4 share 2 unlimited data. No problems.

ZBoater

macrumors G3
Jul 2, 2007
Sunny Florida
If you're afraid to do your own then buy another data plan on the 2nd iPad and pay both.

I'm not here to do your experiments for you.

LOL! Well, you type with such authority like you actually know what you are typing about!

----------

I've been doing it for several months. Our family of 4 share 2 unlimited data. No problems.

How much of a hassle is swapping sims? I mean, the one on the Air is tiny. Did you have to log in when you swapped it the first time?

techiegirl

macrumors 65816
Sep 7, 2007
How much of a hassle is swapping sims? I mean, the one on the Air is tiny. Did you have to log in when you swapped it the first time?

I'm not sure how it would be a hassle. Both the Air and the Mini have the same size SIM. I've been swapping every day since Friday because I can't decide whether I want to stick with the Air or the Mini.

Coleman2010

macrumors 68000
Oct 9, 2010
NYC
LOL! Well, you type with such authority like you actually know what you are typing about!

----------

I already told you I've swapped SIM cards before. You're asking me to do it again to "confirm" it for you. Umm... No.

The SIM cards are the same size.

ZBoater

macrumors G3
Jul 2, 2007
Sunny Florida
I'm not sure how it would be a hassle. Both the Air and the Mini have the same size SIM. I've been swapping every day since Friday because I can't decide whether I want to stick with the Air or the Mini.

The Apple store employee struggled with it a bit when taking the SIM out on my return iPad, and I've read that swapping them a lot might break them. Which is why I ask.

----------

I already told you I've swapped SIM cards before. You're asking me to do it again to "confirm" it for you. Umm... No.

The SIM cards are the same size.

No, it wasn't clear from your post that you had actually done it.

I'll be getting the Ipad MiniR and will have both for a period of time, so I may try this to see how it works. If I decide to keep the Mini it would be nice to have the option.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.