Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Woodcrest64

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 14, 2006
I really like my Fitbit Charge but have been curious with the Apple Watch. My mother in law as the Apple Watch and notice Apple has the health App, Watch App and the activity App.

I like how Fitbit puts everything into one App. I’m wondering if there is a 3rd party solution that does this for activity and health. I understand watch faces need to be kept separate.

I also don’t like the Apple Watch breaks up the calories into burn vs resting. I know in one of the Apps you get the total but seems silly to break everything up.

I do really like the smart features of the Apple Watch but the fitness side of things seems a little broken up.

oeagleo

macrumors 6502a
Feb 5, 2016
West Jordan, Utah
That's the main reason that I still use my Garmin Fenix 5+, is that it has everything, sleep, steps, intensity minutes (exercise minutes above a normal heart rate), 24 hour heart rate, etc, all in one online web site, along with a great mobile app. For my AW4, I have about 4 other apps that are needed to get the same information, and that's even scattered. I can use an app (RunGap) to export the AW activity data to other platforms, but still don't get the all day heart rate, steps, sleep, etc that I do with the Garmin. I do like the smart watch features of the AW, especially the fall detection (I'm 71) and the screen, but the one day battery is also a factor. Sheesh, wouldn't it be nice to have both in one device? :)

Reactions: PaladinGuy

technole

macrumors 6502a
Sep 22, 2017
More like I had a Fitbit before Apple Watch existed, and as soon as it was released that thing was going in the garbage.

Reactions: Chicagogirlie

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
More like I had a Fitbit before Apple Watch existed, and as soon as it was released that thing was going in the garbage.

Fitbit actually makes a decent device, and their software has improved quite a bit, and I don’t really have any issues with their products. However, in terms of actual hardware, it doesn’t touch the Apple Watch, but I still would say Fitbit has its place in competition against the Apple Watch, which it should, being that still is a huge part in the smart watch fitness industry. The biggest contributor that Apple Watch has, and the most obvious, is that how well the Apple Watch communicates with the iPhone.

Mike75

macrumors member
Sep 15, 2014
I have a Fitbit Ionic and an AW4. The Fitbit is a better fitness and sleep tracker, the AW4 is a better watch. So I wear the Fitbit to work out and to bed and the AW as a watch.

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida
I used Fitbit on and off but kept having hardware problems and gave up and have not looked back.

If you are going to buy Fitbit buy it from a store that has the best returns. Dealing with Fitbit on a order is nuts!

iamasmith

macrumors 6502a
Apr 10, 2015
Cheshire, UK
I broke up with Fitbit when they announced that they wouldn't be doing Apple Healthkit integration. I had the scales and the devices etc. and it seemed too much to me like a closed ecosystem.

I went next with Withings gear and that gave me the Smart Body Analyser, the Withings O2 and the Blood Pressure cuff all integrated with Healthkit.

The O2 is sitting in a drawer since the original Apple Watch arrived in the mail but the other devices have contributed so much to the experience, particularly the Smart Body analyser which means I don't have to manually update anything to get workout updates.

I don't think I would use Fitbit again unless they directly supported Healthkit - hacks are for a) Work, where I'm paid to do it. b) For Windows users because they don't know better and are quite happy to build on mush.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.