Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

patent10021

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Apr 23, 2004
So a week or so ago I become interested in OpenCore to install Monterey on my 2014 MBP just so I could use Swift 5.5. Concurrency APIs on Monterey since it didn't support Big Sur.

But I found this page from a while ago and it says that Concurrency i.e. Async/Await on Big Sur is now supported.

I Swear I tried running a project on Big Sur with Xcode 13.2 and had no luck building the project. Warning message said I needed macOS 12.

I noticed Xcode 13.2 was released on Dec 13th and Xcode 13.2.1 on Dec 17th. going by Sundell's page, Concurrency APIs were fixed to work as far back as Catalina.

Can someone here confirm if projects using the Concurrency APIs Async/Await build on Big Sur?

Thanks

szymczyk

macrumors regular
Mar 5, 2006
What's the code that is producing the error?

The async await code works on Big Sur, but some things in Apple's frameworks like URLSession require macOS 12. For example URLSession's data function requires macOS 12. The following article by John Sundell shows how to add backward compatibility:

Making async system APIs backward compatible

patent10021

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Apr 23, 2004
What's the code that is producing the error?

The async await code works on Big Sur, but some things in Apple's frameworks like URLSession require macOS 12. For example URLSession's data function requires macOS 12. The following article by John Sundell shows how to add backward compatibility:

Making async system APIs backward compatible
Sorry, not code error. Xcode message about building apps with Async on macOS 12. Can use Swift 5.5 no problem. Building is the issue.

Thanks

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.