Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BigBoy2018

Suspended
Original poster
Oct 23, 2018
I know its all a guessing game (until maybe june 5th), but I would love it if the new Mac Pro is released prior to the release of 10.15.

If so, it would be a big deal to me since it would mean one last great mac that can still run Mojave and 32-bit apps.

I know, I shouldnt be running 32-bit apps, bla bla bla ... but its nice to have that option, imo.

Or is the general consensus that theres no friggin way apple would release the mac pro running monave?

jscipione

macrumors 6502
Mar 27, 2017
I know its all a guessing game (until maybe june 5th), but I would love it if the new Mac Pro is released prior to the release of 10.15.

If so, it would be a big deal to me since it would mean one last great mac that can still run Mojave and 32-bit apps.

I know, I shouldnt be running 32-bit apps, bla bla bla ... but its nice to have that option, imo.

Or is the general consensus that theres no friggin way apple would release the mac pro running monave?

It is conceivable that Apple could create a special build of Mojave for the modular Mac Pro but it is unlikely that the Mac Pro will ship before 10.15 does. My guess is December at the earliest. We find out on June 3. Get a Cheesegrater and run the version of macOS you want.

Reactions: crjackson2134

BigBoy2018

Suspended
Original poster
Oct 23, 2018
It is conceivable that Apple could create a special build of Mojave for the modular Mac Pro but it is unlikely that the Mac Pro will ship before 10.15 does. My guess is December at the earliest. We find out on June 3. Get a Cheesegrater and run the version of macOS you want.

I want a modern, very powerful mac. So the cheesgrater is a non starter for me. Obviously the iMac pro is there as an option, but for now I'll wait and see what the Mac Pro brings.

jscipione

macrumors 6502
Mar 27, 2017
The regular iMac with i9-9900K and no T2 chip might not be a bad way to go for a blend of future macOS compatibility and freedom from Apple's more recent restrictions. No T2 chip mean no audio issues or Secure Boot. 8 fast cores and an RX Pro 580 or Vega 48 ought last a while. The iMac has Quicksync unlike the iMac Pro (and presumably the mMP) which might be a big enough differenced depending on what programs you use.

Reactions: BigBoy2018

BigBoy2018

Suspended
Original poster
Oct 23, 2018
The regular iMac with i9-9900K and no T2 chip might not be a bad way to go for a blend of future macOS compatibility and freedom from Apple's more recent restrictions. No T2 chip mean no audio issues or Secure Boot. 8 fast cores and an RX Pro 580 or Vega 48 ought last a while. The iMac has Quicksync unlike the iMac Pro (and presumably the mMP) which might be a big enough differenced depending on what programs you use.

Agreed. But obviously the upcoming mac pro will be a beast in comparison. In the unlikely event the mac pro comes with Mojave and WITHOUT the T2 ... then that would be some kind of miracle and make it a must buy for me

frou

macrumors 65816
Mar 14, 2009
Unless there are specific abandonware 32bit apps that you are attached to, I humbly suggest that you might be overthinking this

MisterAndrew

macrumors 68030
Sep 15, 2015
Portland, Ore.
It’s possible the 7,1 will be released shortly after the announcement. Apple added the new machine’s graphics drivers in the current Mojave release. We’ll have to wait and see.

JesterJJZ

macrumors 68020
Jul 21, 2004
I think he meant get a Cheesegrater in addition to your current machine. If you just need to run old apps, I'm sure you can get a cheap one, probably even for free if you look in the right places.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.