Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jshwon

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 2, 2007
Is there anyone in Houston, TX that has a working 3G signal? I have edge as indicated by the little "E" in the top left but no "3G" symbol. Aren't you supposed to see that with 3G active? I live on the northwest side an am within at&t's coverage but no 3G signal.

Also how dose GPS with maps work? I go to maps but don't get the glowing beacon when I hit locate me.

rrjr80

macrumors regular
Jul 11, 2008
Not in Houston, but I am having the exact same problems in Baltimore and I am clearly inside the 3G coverage area.

TXCraig

macrumors 6502a
Jul 2, 2007
Houston, TX
I live in Houston and all I see is E also! I checked the f**king map before I purchased this phone- the entire Houston metro area is 3G... so what gives?

And yes, the setting on the phone is set to 3G!

Jshwon

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 2, 2007
Yeah, this is definitely off! Whats worse now is that I restored from a back up and now I have no service at all! Yay can't wait to call att in the morning.:rolleyes:

This has got to be the worst launch ever.

Bindi

macrumors newbie
May 7, 2008
I live in Houston and have 3G, too...took me a bit to get it activated on ITunes, but once I did, it's been working great!

bryankm282

macrumors newbie
Jul 11, 2008
The AT&T coverage viewer for 3G is estimated, and not detailed street level coverage like the voice coverage is. Needless to say, not all towers have been upgraded to 3G even smack in the middle of major metro areas that have 3G coverage. I had a Tilt that wouldn't pick up 3G, after talking to several AT&T reps one finally admitted that the tower closest to my house is not 3G, yet I'm in the middle of 3G coverage.

Jshwon

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 2, 2007
It's the freakin SIM's man! I just got back from the Apple store where they exchanged my iPhone with another and put the same SIM in the new one. And it was the same problem. So I take the phone out and go to the ATT kiosk in the middle of the mall and he gives me a new SIM and WHAM! Clear service WITH 3G! Came right up. So it seems like there is an issue with the ATT SIM's that were put in some of the phones. Whats worse is that none of the phones in the Apple store showed a 3G icon. And here I am in the same exact location with a new SIM and 3G icon.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.