Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

A MacBook lover

Suspended
Original poster
May 22, 2009
D.C.
Greetings,

I’m in a situation without a computer and was wondering if any folks in the DC area can help me update my phone to iOS 13. I’m already a registered developer.

$20 will be in it for you!

bigjnyc

macrumors 604
Apr 10, 2008
Could you go to an apple store perhaps and talk to one of the geniuses? I'm sure they have some computers there with Xcode loaded... If you explain your situation and are able to log in to your developer portal they might be able to let you do it on one of their computers...... Or perhaps you can just download xcode on one of the demo laptops on the floor, I am not sure how that works.

A MacBook lover

Suspended
Original poster
May 22, 2009
D.C.
Could you go to an apple store perhaps and talk to one of the geniuses? I'm sure they have some computers there with Xcode loaded... If you explain your situation and are able to log in to your developer portal they might be able to let you do it on one of their computers...... Or perhaps you can just download xcode on one of the demo laptops on the floor, I am not sure how that works.

I have tried this.

First obviously with the display computers. Which not only don’t have Xcode, but lack the permissions to install Xcode or the small mobileconfig.pkg.

I misguided apple employee gave me a diagnostic computer to use, but the issue was the same. Neither the employee or managers had the password to the administrator account, strangely, or were reluctant to do so. They eventually explained that they could not help me and suggested buying and returning a MacBook.

I then went up to individual employees and asked them if they knew an employee that brings their personal computer to work, and even offered cash, no one bit!

Even a Craigslist ad hasn’t yielded help.

dcp10

macrumors 6502a
Jul 30, 2010
Do you have a Windows PC? Use the command line method. Google is your friend.

bigjnyc

macrumors 604
Apr 10, 2008
I have tried this.

First obviously with the display computers. Which not only don’t have Xcode, but lack the permissions to install Xcode or the small mobileconfig.pkg.

I misguided apple employee gave me a diagnostic computer to use, but the issue was the same. Neither the employee or managers had the password to the administrator account, strangely, or were reluctant to do so. They eventually explained that they could not help me and suggested buying and returning a MacBook.

I then went up to individual employees and asked them if they knew an employee that brings their personal computer to work, and even offered cash, no one bit!

Even a Craigslist ad hasn’t yielded help.

Ok gotcha.... the only other suggestion I have is if it’s easier for you to access a windows computer you can install it easily using 3utools.

A MacBook lover

Suspended
Original poster
May 22, 2009
D.C.
Ok gotcha.... the only other suggestion I have is if it’s easier for you to access a windows computer you can install it easily using 3utools.

Would this method require installation and/or administrator privileges? Just wanna know to rule out public computers.

dcp10

macrumors 6502a
Jul 30, 2010
Not if you’re familiar with using a command line interface. Lots of pages on the web showing how. Most likely it’s going to bork your Face ID if you have a capable phone. Use 3UTools to fix it.

A MacBook lover

Suspended
Original poster
May 22, 2009
D.C.
Not if you’re familiar with using a command line interface. Lots of pages on the web showing how. Most likely it’s going to bork your Face ID if you have a capable phone. Use 3UTools to fix it.
Interesting. So it’s a jailbreak? Or just using tools from a jailbreak?

bigjnyc

macrumors 604
Apr 10, 2008
Would this method require installation and/or administrator privileges? Just wanna know to rule out public computers.

Yes it would require installation of the 3utools application. But once you get that it’s a sinch

highertechnology

macrumors 6502a
Jul 31, 2009
3utools doesn’t even need command line. The whole process is built into the tool. And had the IPSW for you to download.

Took me 20 minutes to update a XS Max on beta 12.4 and an iPad Pro 11.

Reactions: bigjnyc and dcp10
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.