Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

YankeeSR23

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 22, 2009
New Jersey
Maybe I’m crazy, but I greatly prefer the 2nd generation AirPods over the 3rd generation AirPods due to comfort and method of interaction. The tap to interact is so much better to me cause I can tap of them as I’m walking whereas the 3rd generation ones are controlled by squeezing the stem and I have pulled them out of my ear if I try to use them while walking. I like the 2nd generation ones so much that I have 2 extra brand new sets for when the batteries go on my current set.

Do we think the 2nd generation design will go away whenever the next generation of AirPods is released?

bigjnyc

macrumors 604
Apr 10, 2008
Nope. I like the new ones and the Airpods Pro much better. Also storing a set uncharged for a really long time might not be so good for that battery.

MBAir2010

macrumors 603
May 30, 2018
there
since I own both editions they can be confusing to operate.

lucky I can now use a quick hand gesture if music is playing from the watch recently.
but when i'm out and about and happen to see a neighbor who wants to bore me with their mundane life,
I need to remember which ones im using which ensues in confusion until I stop th music with the device.

if I had to chose, th e3rd gen sound better and fits comfy but the 2nd ones are incredible as well!

thank Cook we have these great devices!

Sirious

macrumors 68000
Jan 2, 2013
United Kingdom
Maybe I’m crazy, but I greatly prefer the 2nd generation AirPods over the 3rd generation AirPods due to comfort and method of interaction. The tap to interact is so much better to me cause I can tap of them as I’m walking whereas the 3rd generation ones are controlled by squeezing the stem and I have pulled them out of my ear if I try to use them while walking. I like the 2nd generation ones so much that I have 2 extra brand new sets for when the batteries go on my current set.

Do we think the 2nd generation design will go away whenever the next generation of AirPods is released?
It sounds like something I'd do.

I bought the 2nd gen because of the affordability on Black Friday and to finally replace my 1st gens. My 3rd gen definitely have better sound quality, but I find the 2nd gens more comfortable to wear for a longer time.

I think they will discontinue the 2nd gen once they release a 4th generation for sure - or they might keep them in the line up and replace the 3rd gen with the 4th gen!

If they drop the price lower than £99, I might get a backup pair! :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.