Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

The General

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jul 7, 2006
I'm trying to make this Leopard theme here ... I just can't seem to get one thing fixed. I want it to look like this:

iPhoneLeopard.png

But instead it looks like this (notice just below the Terminal icon):

lawl.png

For some reason or another, part of the background above the terminal icon shows up below it. :( I can't figure out how to fix this. Also, does anybody know how to get rid of the text below the icons on the bottom? I think I might have to fiddle with LocalizedApplicationsNames.string ... Actually, I'll mess with that right now and post back if it works...

EDIT: Yeah, just put a space in <string>Safari</string> instead of Safari or whatever program name you want to remove. :)

/dev/toaster

macrumors 68020
Feb 23, 2006
San Francisco, CA
I *really* like that BTW, I would like to use that for my phone :D My only suggestion is that you "zone out" on the finder icon, it looks odd that way.

Sorry I can't help with your question :(

The General

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jul 7, 2006
What do you mean zone out?

EDIT: Wow, I just figured out how to change what the top bar looks like. It's on now! This is going to be one hell of a Leopard theme when I'm done with it. :)

It will end up looking like this... The only thing I'm unsure about right now is the clock in the middle of the menu bar... But when I'm done, I will post all of my files if anyone wants to use it. Now I just need to figure out how to fix that weird thing in my OP!

iphoneleopardyo2.png

P.S. I updated the PSD in the link in my OP, if you can help make the menu bar look more like Leopard, feel free to do so ... I'm not really liking it as is. I can't quite mimic it right ... :confused:

I plan to fix the dock so it looks more like the Leopard one. I was just going off of memory when I created that one ... I need to fix the icon positions, move them down a bit more... etc...

The General

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jul 7, 2006
Hate to run off-topic here, but what purpose does the "Zune2" application serve? Just curious.

It's a game where you can launch missiles at a Zune. :D

Please Please Please make a better looking finder icon.

You'll have to give me a description other than "better" ... I've tried just scaling the standard Finder icon and it looks terrible and out of place. More specifically, what exactly looks wrong about this one? :(

linshiwen

macrumors member
Aug 19, 2007
This is beautiful work so far, General, and I look forward to seeing (and perhaps implementing, if I can figure it out) the final result. I wish I had something helpful to add.

DeuceDeuce

macrumors 6502a
Aug 8, 2007
San Dimas, CA
I think I might have to fiddle with LocalizedApplicationsNames.string ... Actually, I'll mess with that right now and post back if it works...

EDIT: Yeah, just put a space in <string>Safari</string> instead of Safari or whatever program name you want to remove. :)

Where is the LocalizedApplicationsNames.string? BTW, great looking them General!

DeuceDeuce

macrumors 6502a
Aug 8, 2007
San Dimas, CA

You'll have to give me a description other than "better" ... I've tried just scaling the standard Finder icon and it looks terrible and out of place. More specifically, what exactly looks wrong about this one? :(

Not that I think your icon is in any way bad but Im using this as my icon for installer. I know its finders icon but it just fits my theme better and Im using Installer as my only added app on my springbroad. Anyways, here it is.

Screenshot-3.jpg

DeuceDeuce

macrumors 6502a
Aug 8, 2007
San Dimas, CA
i'm not a kings fan, but i really like your theme (just change it to the rangers and i'll be really impressed ;)
i want an iphone :eek:

Thanks! The Rangers should kick ass this year. My other favorite team is the Devils (Boo Rangers) and Im not looking forward to this season from that prosepective. I still cant wait for the season to start though!!!

Here is the rest of the theme...

I also changed the "Installer" icon again...

ScreenshotP.jpg

Locked.jpg

LockedPlugged.jpg

akophone

macrumors member
Aug 25, 2007
Anyone know if there's an application that can load pre-made themes? I don't see anything resembling that in Installer.app. Thanks.

Floris

macrumors 68020
Sep 7, 2007
Netherlands
I'm trying to make this Leopard theme here ... I just can't seem to get one thing fixed. I want it to look like this:

But instead it looks like this (notice just below the Terminal icon):

For some reason or another, part of the background above the terminal icon shows up below it. :( I can't figure out how to fix this. Also, does anybody know how to get rid of the text below the icons on the bottom? I think I might have to fiddle with LocalizedApplicationsNames.string ... Actually, I'll mess with that right now and post back if it works...

Sorry for going offtopic here, but DAMN that looks REALLY REALLY nice. Keep up the good work.

MartinAyla

macrumors regular
Jan 10, 2006

Really like your Leopard theme General!

The problem with the Finder icon is that yours looks stretched vertically.

Looks like it has Downs Syndrom or something.

If you look at the Finder icon in Leopard it's more "widescreen". Maybe you can just zoom in so it's the same size as the other icons but preserving the aspect ratio.

The General

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jul 7, 2006
Really like your Leopard theme General!

The problem with the Finder icon is that yours looks stretched vertically.

Looks like it has Downs Syndrom or something.

If you look at the Finder icon in Leopard it's more "widescreen". Maybe you can just zoom in so it's the same size as the other icons but preserving the aspect ratio.

All I did was take the Finder icon and cut the sides off to make it square. The aspect ratio is consistent with the real Finder icon. It is not stretched vertically.

MartinAyla

macrumors regular
Jan 10, 2006
All I did was take the Finder icon and cut the sides off to make it square. The aspect ratio is consistent with the real Finder icon. It is not stretched vertically.

Ok, I stand corrected :)

It's just that the "eyes" look stretched vertically... Anyways, it's doesn't look exactly like the real Finder in Leopard, don't know if a Transparent background on the Finder icon would look ok. So it retains the size but still blends in?

PS. Actually, if I cut the sides of a 16:9 movie I would have for example a 4:3 movie, not stretching it but messing with the aspect ratio nonetheless.

The General

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jul 7, 2006
Ok, I stand corrected :)

It's just that the "eyes" look stretched vertically... Anyways, it's doesn't look exactly like the real Finder in Leopard, don't know if a Transparent background on the Finder icon would look ok. So it retains the size but still blends in?

PS. Actually, if I cut the sides of a 16:9 movie I would have for example a 4:3 movie, not stretching it but messing with the aspect ratio nonetheless.

Stock Finder icon:
Finder.png

Cropped to make it square:
Findercopy.png

The face is not being skewed one bit. The eyes are exactly the same, the mouth and nose are exactly the same. The only thing different is that I cut off the sides.

Draw a face on a piece of paper near the middle, now cut the sides off the piece of paper to make it square. The face you drew is not skewed or stretched.

kthxbi

Bernie-Mac

macrumors 65816
Jul 30, 2007
Sin City, NV
Sorry to go off topic but as an avid modder General, im sure you have had to mod and restore and mod and restore a bunch of times and after all those restores and whatnot your iphone is still ok? not acting funny? Cuz im seriously considering getting back into the modding circle but i just got a new iphone as im sure you remember and im at that point where its like "i have a new one, im not going to mess it up" but i want to get back into modding cuz its cool what you can do to it and not to mention fun but im concerned about my new iphone.

zinj

macrumors member
May 23, 2007
Stock Finder icon:
Finder.png

Cropped to make it square:
Findercopy.png

The face is not being skewed one bit. The eyes are exactly the same, the mouth and nose are exactly the same. The only thing different is that I cut off the sides.

Draw a face on a piece of paper near the middle, now cut the sides off the piece of paper to make it square. The face you drew is not skewed or stretched.

kthxbi

I think your finder window looks fine. Awesome job btw. I just got my iphone two days ago(yay price drop) and am looking to put my first theme on. Your posts in general(no pun intended) have been really helpful in many threads. Keep up the good work!

The General

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jul 7, 2006
I've probably restored my phone 12 times, and rehacked all 12 times since I've gotten the phone. It still works perfectly fine, like the day I got it.

This method of making themes is old and no longer necessary. You can use regular icons, and choose a background using Summerboard.

The only thing you need to make is the dock image on the bottom. It's really quite easy now. :)

zinj

macrumors member
May 23, 2007
Where'd you get that little apple logo in the top left of the image that you WANT it to look like? and how'd you get it to the LEFT of the signal strength? I've only seen how to replace the AT&T(cingular) image.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.