Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

doingitlive

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 20, 2011
Hey everyone! Is there a way to get rid of these black marks from my leather band? I have tried cleaning it but is seems like the stain is gone, is it possible to restrain the leather band?

Attachments

• 0ABAC02B-C527-4F43-86EB-B2735F1F4C15.jpeg
    0ABAC02B-C527-4F43-86EB-B2735F1F4C15.jpeg
    314.2 KB · Views: 635

Snørrbjørg

macrumors regular
Aug 12, 2010
at home

TheAccountant

macrumors member
Aug 16, 2021
With where it is on the band, it looks like the color dye has been worn off. You'd have to redye or repaint it.

perezr10

macrumors 68000
Jan 12, 2014
Monroe, Louisiana
Hey everyone! Is there a way to get rid of these black marks from my leather band? I have tried cleaning it but is seems like the stain is gone, is it possible to restrain the leather band?

I bought some Colourlock leather dye and tried to color my leather link to a light tan color. It didn’t work out too well.

It looked great until I picked it up and flexed the leather. The dye split at the joints as you can see below. Maybe another brand of leather paint would do better.

288C1F14-0F95-47D2-BEFD-12AB18F276D7.jpeg

makingmark

macrumors member
Mar 29, 2019
I have worn the Umber leather link for all of three months and it is already starting to develop these black marks. Apple is using the same leather that they use for the iPhone cases since the 12 (the flat sided design). "handcrafted Roux Granada leather made in France"...you can call it whatever you want, but is a cheaper, corrected grain like that used by Cole Haan in most of their shoes: it looks perfect (i.e., plastically uniform) until it's worn, and then it looks like s**t. I have stopped buying their leather cases and this will be the first & last leather band of theirs I own.

Last edited:
Reactions: bhodinut

makingmark

macrumors member
Mar 29, 2019

This is likely the leather used (Granada is on the page). Does not mention the type of leather, which to me is a sign of fashion over quality.

Also, its "force" (strength) rating of "07/09" is the second lowest on the page. The lowest ranked leather? That's the bottom one on the page, Samarcande at "05/07", which they call Cuir-Papier - "Leather-Paper". Q.E.D.

Last edited:

makingmark

macrumors member
Mar 29, 2019
So here's how I fixed it: while picking up a braided solo loop in the new olive color, the Apple Store rep asked if he could help with anything while I waited for the bag to be brought up. I asked if a lot of people were having problems with leather link wear. After some discussion, during which I politely said I expect wear, but 3 months is pretty disappointing as I've never had any other watch band of any make do same in that amount of time...they offered to exchange it. I declined, saying thank you so much but I don't think this is a defect, it's the design, and asked for a gift card instead. Which I got.

Ironically, I'm quite sure the wear came from my wrist resting on my MacBook while typing. Resting it wrong 😆

perezr10

macrumors 68000
Jan 12, 2014
Monroe, Louisiana
I have worn the Umber leather link for all of three months and it is already starting to develop these black marks. Apple is using the same leather that they use for the iPhone cases since the 12 (the flat sided design). "handcrafted Roux Granada leather made in France"...you can call it whatever you want, but is a cheaper, corrected grain like that used by Cole Haan in most of their shoes: it looks perfect (i.e., plastically uniform) until it's worn, and then it looks like s**t. I have stopped buying their leather cases and this will be the first & last leather band of theirs I own.
I actually wear my older leather loop bands more than my leather link bands mainly because they don’t lose their color so easily.

Reactions: makingmark

KhunJay

macrumors 6502
Sep 16, 2013
Im glad I saw this thread...was thinking this strap was cool....now
I need to rethink

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.