Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rchornef

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 2, 2023
I was told by an Apple technician as part of a troubleshooting process for a problem with standby functionality to make sure my MagSafe puck was updated to the most recent firmware. Another technician seem to cast doubt on this. Does anybody have any experience with actually updating the MagSafe puck firmware - please explain the process. Firmware version can be located when the iPhone is attached to the MagSafe puck in settings general about. Thanks.

rchornef

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 2, 2023
Thanks, but this link is for the battery pack. I am looking for the MagSafe charger firmware update process (the round puck used for charging - no battery involved). . .

Snørrbjørg

macrumors regular
Aug 12, 2010
at home
The puck will update automatically someday when your phone is placed on it. Nothing you could do to force it with your phone. If you connect it to the USB-c port in an Macbook/Mini/Studio/etc.. it will happen in a few minutes.

rchornef

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 2, 2023
The puck will update automatically someday when your phone is placed on it. Nothing you could do to force it with your phone. If you connect it to the USB-c port in an Macbook/Mini/Studio/etc.. it will happen in a few minutes.
Thanks for the suggestion, I tried that but no update. . .

godori

macrumors newbie
Jul 9, 2011
You can also try it on the new iPhones with usb c ports. Connected to my iPhone 15 pro and it updated to the latest firmware.

rchornef

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 2, 2023
You can also try it on the new iPhones with usb c ports. Connected to my iPhone 15 pro and it updated to the latest firmware.
How long did it need to be connected? Please also, let me know the latest firmware number.

rchornef

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 2, 2023
Removed my charger from its plastic mount and plugged it into my Studio for a second try, pulled it out and plugged it back into my Studio two or three times. Then went to the MacOS hardware report and there it was - the charger had updated to 258. I sat there looking at the screen with tears of joy streaming down my face.

Thanks again for all the above suggestion. . .

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.