Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SamIchi

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Aug 1, 2004
I can't seem to find an answer for repair cost for the iPhone 8's back glass? I chipped it the other day. Trying to see if it's cheaper to get AppleCare ($129) and fix the back ($99), or just do a one time repair.

All google shows is iPhone X, and AppleCare related screen repair costs.

rkoshack

macrumors regular
Nov 30, 2012
You do have within 60 days to purchase AppleCare but I was under the impression that if you don’t purchase AppleCare at the time of purchase of the phone that you need to bring the phone in to a store for inspection before they’ll sell you AppleCare.

840quadra

Staff member
Feb 1, 2005
Twin Cities Minnesota
Is this not covered in their policy? iPhone users have up to 60 days to purchase AppleCare Plus. Am I missing something?
No idea what they are on about, If you don't have it yet, you can buy it, however Apple will want to inspect the phone before selling it to you This can be done online too, however I believe they will do a diagnostic test on your phone. If the accelerometer has shown / logged an extensive drop, it may reject it, and you will have to have a personal inspection done by Apple.

Reactions: sdwaltz

romeo.xk

macrumors 6502a
Mar 26, 2009
You do have within 60 days to purchase AppleCare but I was under the impression that if you don’t purchase AppleCare at the time of purchase of the phone that you need to bring the phone in to a store for inspection before they’ll sell you AppleCare.

What he said... You will need to bring the phone to an Apple store for inspection before AppleCare kicks in...

deany

macrumors 68030
Sep 16, 2012
North Wales
I cant believe forum members are giving such bad advice.
This is a clause from the old AppleCare: exclusions
(viii) A pre-existing condition on any Covered Equipment if you purchased the Plan after you
purchased the Covered Equipment

I'm certain that the above clause will be in the 2017 applecare+ so OP would be committing insurance fraud, lovely.

rkoshack

macrumors regular
Nov 30, 2012
I think people need to be educated on what insurance means

Of course everyone wants the coverage after they actually need it. If only that’s how insurance worked

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.