Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mitthrawnuruodo

Moderator emeritus
Mar 10, 2004
Bergen, Norway
Another thing to try (if you have the default icon set):

Start Terminal.app and type open /.VolumeIcon.icns

That should open the HD icon in Preview.

OutThere

macrumors 603
Dec 19, 2002
NYC
A much easier way:

Go to the Get Info box in the Finder, select the icon in the upper right, copy it, and then go to Preview, and select "Create New From Clipboard", and you'll have all of the scaled versions and masks right there. :)

iMeowbot

macrumors G3
Aug 30, 2003
/System/Library/Extensions/IOStorageFamily.kext/Contents/Resources/Internal.icns

Will Cheyney

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 13, 2005
United Kingdom
New icon for the hard disc in bay 2 of my Power Mac:

2ndhd.png

Spectrum

macrumors 68000
Mar 23, 2005
Never quite sure
Hi OutThere - you seem to know some stuff.

I have a question in another thread, which maybe you can help with:

I'm trying to get the large 128x128 thumbnail of a photo.

The 128x128 image is displayed in finder windows and in the Preview pane of the Get Info window, but not in the top left - so I cannot select it.

Any ideas? (sorry If I'm hijacking - but this tiny problem, is bugging me).

OutThere said:
A much easier way:

Go to the Get Info box in the Finder, select the icon in the upper right, copy it, and then go to Preview, and select "Create New From Clipboard", and you'll have all of the scaled versions and masks right there. :)

grapes911

Moderator emeritus
Jul 28, 2003
Citizens Bank Park
grapes911 said:
You can copy it right from the Get info menu. Hope this helps.
OutThere said:
A much easier way:

Sorry, that is what I wanted to say. I guess everyone doesn't use Preview to get the things they pasted. I'll remember that for next time. :eek:

Spectrum

macrumors 68000
Mar 23, 2005
Never quite sure
Perfect - resized at 72dpi to 128pixels wide. Copied and pasted.

I only need it for a few pics, so no big deal to do it this way actually.

Problem solved for now, but (just out of interest) any ideas why OSX isn't showing them in the Get info thumbnail?

Will Cheyney said:
Resize the image in something like Photoshop?

Will Cheyney

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 13, 2005
United Kingdom
Unless you have 'Show icon preview' checked in the 'Show View Options' dialogue (apple + J in icon view), then the generic application image file icon is show.
Even with this option turned on, you still can't do the copy and paste into Preview trick. Why? Who knows!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.