Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Steve Jobs Turtleneck

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 2, 2024
The black front and everything inside is all white with that Y2K looking desks and stuff. 100's of canon printers and Sony camcorders. That projection screen all the way in the back with the dude picking his nose. I miss that.

Chuckeee

macrumors 68000
Aug 18, 2023
Southern California
When I purchased my first 2 Apple systems (Apple //c and then about 10 years later a Mac LC 475) Apple did not have their own retail Apple Stores. I’m still adjusting to the concept an Apple company store.

Last edited:
Reactions: B S Magnet

XboxEvolved

macrumors 6502a
Aug 22, 2004
They almost went bankrupt in the 2000s ?
No they didn't. By the time the first Apple Store opened in 2001, Apple was doing just fine and had released the first iPod. 5 years prior to the launch of its first store yeah they are pretty close to declaring bankruptcy, then Jobs took over and under his leadership it took off.

What made the first Apple Stores crazy to people was that Gateway stores were failing, and the idea of another store was odd to most people at the time. Unlike the Gateway stores though you could actually use everything in an Apple Store, Gateway stores sucked lol. It also was crazy to people because the whole computer industry was seeing a slump at the time, and many brands such as Gateway and Compaq, once massive brands were on their way out or getting ready to be sold off to competition. Apple decided to invest their way out of the slump and it paid off.

But yeah I miss that the original Apple stores were like little learning centers where selling the products was secondary to you actually experiencing the product, and they sold a wide variety of software and gadgets for "the digital hub".

Chuckeee

macrumors 68000
Aug 18, 2023
Southern California
What made the first Apple Stores crazy to people was that Gateway stores were failing, and the idea of another store was odd to most people at the time. Unlike the Gateway stores though you could actually use everything in an Apple Store, Gateway stores sucked lol. It also was crazy to people because the whole computer industry was seeing a slump at the time, and many brands such as Gateway and Compaq, once massive brands were on their way out or getting ready to be sold off to competition.
Although the whole cow theme with Gateway was weird but amusing at the same

XboxEvolved

macrumors 6502a
Aug 22, 2004
Although the whole cow theme with Gateway was weird but amusing at the same
It was a branding choice, I didn't mind that at the time, especially because it kind of made sense with the whole Windows XP field wallpaper (cows and everything) this was at a time when all computer brands were trying their best to out cool Apple, some came closer than others. Remember the Dell Dude?

Steve Jobs Turtleneck

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 2, 2024
It was a branding choice, I didn't mind that at the time, especially because it kind of made sense with the whole Windows XP field wallpaper (cows and everything) this was at a time when all computer brands were trying their best to out cool Apple, some came closer than others. Remember the Dell Dude?
DUDE U ARE GETTING A DELL

• Haha
Reactions: XboxEvolved
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.