Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tweaknmod

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 13, 2012
Ottawa, Ontario
I've been somewhat bored with the Apple ecosystem lately and have been considering trying-out a full Samsung lineup for a while now.

I use a PC for work, so this would be purely for leisure - writing, browsing, shopping, reading, and watching videos. I have a Switch and PS5/Portal for gaming so no need to really consider that.

The devices I'm considering getting are a Tab S9 Ultra with a keyboard case, the galaxy earbuds, and maybe a small tablet for the couch.

Has anyone else made a similar switch? Can you share any observations or anecdotes?

I've used Android in the past, but it's been a long time, so I'm excited to tinker with the new version - as well as the Samsung add-ons and hardware.

Thanks in advance for any input!

Last edited:

Rafterman

Contributor
Apr 23, 2010
I've been somewhat bored with the Apple ecosystem lately and have been considering trying-out a full Samsung lineup for a while now.

I use a PC for work, so this would be purely for leisure - writing, browsing, shopping, reading, and watching videos. I have a Switch and PS5/Portal for gaming so no need to really consider that.

The devices I'm considering getting are an S9 Ultra with a keyboard case, the galaxy earbuds, and maybe a small tablet for the couch.

Has anyone else made a similar switch? Can you share any observations or anecdotes?

I've used Android in the past, but it's been a long time, so I'm excited to tinker with the new version - as well as the Samsung add-ons and hardware.

I've done the switch a few times. But despite the fact that iOS has become boring, I find myself always going back to iOS because of the ecosystem (Mac user here).

Android is a fine OS, as is iOS. In fact, I tried a Fold 5 last year and really loved it. Say what you want about folding screens, but they are so much fun to use. But, again, the ecosystem. Windows users can make the switch easier than Mac users I think.

But an S9 is a 5 year old device, so you have to keep that in mind. Samsung does not update the OS anymore. Your usage seems light, but maybe a little newer model might be more cost effective.

Chuckeee

macrumors 68000
Aug 18, 2023
Southern California
I have had several great recent experiences with Samsung products in general. Does not address your specific question but I’ve been very impressed with the build quality and price for a Samsung television, refrigerator and clothes washer.

Reactions: tweaknmod

Juicy Box

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2014
I have had issues with Samsung displays in the past, one TV and one monitor.

I recently had to get a monitor for one of my Macs, and decided to give Samsung another try. The Neo G7 had almost everything I was looking for in a new monitor, and while it was expensive, the performance of the display was amazing.

I thought I made a great purchase, but then my Mac started to have Kernel Panics. There was also weird behavior from the Neo G7 when the Mac put the display to sleep.

I ended up returning it for a similarly spec monitor from a different brand, no Kernel Panics. The Neo G7 reviews had a lot of Quality Control issues, which tracks with my experience with the Neo G7, but also with Samsung in general.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
Not Samsung, but I tried out Android on a Google Pixel 3a XL for nine months in 2020 (May 2020 to February 2021). I still have the Pixel and it's a great phone but stuck on Android 12 now.

I went back to iOS because I just prefer the UI. But, I am not 'stuck' in either ecosystem. The majority of the services I use are Google, which makes them cross platform and email is always IMAP (which again, makes it cross platform). There are some other things that don't translate, such as iMessages but for those things it's generally irrelevant to me for a variety of reasons.

So, because I can be cross-platform, this experiment in 2020 showed me that my desire to stick with iPhone is down to iOS and the UI. To me, the UI is much more polished with Apple/iOS. As a Graphic Designer that carries a lot of weight with me.

And, I'm no stranger to jailbreaking an iPhone to get anything else I want either, so there's that too.

Reactions: Tig Bitties

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK

The devices I'm considering getting are a Tab S9 Ultra with a keyboard case, the galaxy earbuds, and maybe a small tablet for the couch.

My last Samsung device.
1706365048013.png

I’m neither bored or entertained by Apple. They are just devices that connect you to the world.

Reactions: Huntn

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
I've done the switch a few times. But despite the fact that iOS has become boring, I find myself always going back to iOS because of the ecosystem (Mac user here).

Android is a fine OS, as is iOS. In fact, I tried a Fold 5 last year and really loved it. Say what you want about folding screens, but they are so much fun to use. But, again, the ecosystem. Windows users can make the switch easier than Mac users I think.

But an S9 is a 5 year old device, so you have to keep that in mind. Samsung does not update the OS anymore. Your usage seems light, but maybe a little newer model might be more cost effective.
I seem to remember a time, maybe a long time back where the Android app marketplace had some issues with malware Infesting it.

• Haha
Reactions: animalx

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains

Their refrigerators have suffered some poor critiques… ;)

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
I seem to remember a time, maybe a long time back where the Android app marketplace had some issues with malware Infesting it.
That is a particular issue with Android, in large part because Google did not do as Apple did and allowed Android to be licensed. It's hard to get the genie back in the bottle once you've let it out.

That said, if you're one of those types of persons that just randomly installs stuff you're more open to that sort of thing. Google manages to maintain major apps free of malware in the Google Play store.

It doesn't help that those who prefer Apple (and Apple itself) amplify this problem in an absolutist sort of way in order to wield a cudgel against Google, which they don't like/is a competitor to Apple.

It's simplistic and easy to just say, 'Don't use Android because they have malware'. Or to simply imply it. The implication being that Apple doesn't have malware, and therefore is the better product.

The reality is that it's more complicated than that.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
I’m neither bored or entertained by Apple. They are just devices that connect you to the world.
I was neither bored nor entertained by my Google Pixel and Android for the nine months I was on it as well.

I wanted to see if Android had improved it's UI. They had, but not nearly as well as iOS looks. So I came back.

But I could do that because I'm not stuck in either ecosystem. What I use works on both Android and iOS.

Reactions: Huntn

ios3

macrumors regular
Jun 14, 2022
I have an iPhone 13 and now an S23, as I wanted to switch because I got tired of buggy iOS releases and Apple's practices.

I've been playing around with the S23 for a week and I'm still getting used to the navigation and customization of the system. So far, I find iOS more fluid, consistent, and aesthetically pleasing in terms of UI/UX and apps. Android/One UI has much more functionality and customizability, but you have to spend much more time to get it to your liking.

There is some Samsung bloat I might have to remove, and I kinda wish the UI was more like stock Android. Unfortunately, there are many trade offs when going to either Samsung or Pixel(OS, hardware quality, etc.). Again, I'm still getting used to the system after years on iOS, but I'm very excited to try Android!

robvalentine

macrumors 6502
Nov 21, 2014
I have Pixel 8 Pro and Iphone 15 max atm, and pixel has much more user friendly UI IMO but the iphone has better Hardware. I'm still in the return period for the iPhone, and I may just return it because the notifications are handled so much better on android and you can swipe open the notifications and control centre from anywhere on the scree, where as on Ios you need to do a weird dance around the stupid dynamic island thing.

I had a S23 plus, better hardware than pixel, but cameras sucked, compared to iphone and pixel. UI is convuluted compared to Ios and Pixels.

iOS is stale, not very efficent in terms of steps needed to get stuff done, and Pixel has more quality of life (so to speak) features, like now playing, being able to say snooze or stop for alarms and timers, and being able to switch off alarm for set dates (i.e. if going on holiday) and it will switch back on once you are back at work.

Technerd108

macrumors 68030
Oct 24, 2021
Samsung is like that geeky friend that is always by your side. That friend might not always be the most fun or adventurous but they are reliable, genuinely kind, and a fun person which to me is way more important than someone who is flashy, cool, adventurous but a jerk.

Samsung has always done right by me over many years of repeat ownership.

BUT Samsung is not perfect and there is a lot of room for improvement, specially on the software side of things. If that changes which it looks like it is then it is possible that Samsung will eventually have the beat Hardware and software. We will see. I am pulling for them to succeed. Just like I want Apple to succeed. Fierce competition is good for the consumer.

So I can't say I am returning to Samsung but I am returning to Samsung since I got a Pixel 8 Pro which pretty much took the top spot away from the s23 ultra and the Ultra has been unused since I got the Pixel in October. The Pixel screen was much more enjoyable and the camera system was better in real world scenarios. The Tensor g3 was much improved and fixed the issues with the 7 pro. Flat screen, bay blue, what is not to like. So comfortable to hold....

Tig Bitties

macrumors 603
Sep 6, 2012
Samsung is like that geeky friend that is always by your side. That friend might not always be the most fun or adventurous but they are reliable, genuinely kind, and a fun person which to me is way more important than someone who is flashy, cool, adventurous but a jerk.

Samsung has always done right by me over many years of repeat ownership.

BUT Samsung is not perfect and there is a lot of room for improvement, specially on the software side of things. If that changes which it looks like it is then it is possible that Samsung will eventually have the beat Hardware and software. We will see. I am pulling for them to succeed. Just like I want Apple to succeed. Fierce competition is good for the consumer.

So I can't say I am returning to Samsung but I am returning to Samsung since I got a Pixel 8 Pro which pretty much took the top spot away from the s23 ultra and the Ultra has been unused since I got the Pixel in October. The Pixel screen was much more enjoyable and the camera system was better in real world scenarios. The Tensor g3 was much improved and fixed the issues with the 7 pro. Flat screen, bay blue, what is not to like. So comfortable to hold....

LOL that's a good take, I like it :). I took love my Pixel 8 Pro, but how does it compare to the S24U Ultra?

Last edited:

JohnRckr

macrumors 6502
Jul 12, 2023
I switched from 14PM to S23U few months ago and loved it.... Only to move to 15Pm because I missed the ecosystem and how simple everything was. And now I am tempted to switch to S24U despite just getting new MacBook, guess I'll never learn

Reverend Benny

macrumors 6502a
Apr 28, 2017
Europe
I manage both Samsung and Apple mobile devices at work and from a "managing mobile devices" perspective its a pain with Samsung compared to Iphone. Its getting better but still far from Apple.
Just the fact that Samsung have different' release cycles for security updates must be the one single stupidest decision they've made.

Some phones (premium S models) get updates every month, cheaper models such as of the A models get quarterly updates or every 6 months. You need to make sure what models you have so that you don't block devices that can't get an update and that means you can't create strict rules so that people do apply updates.

In the past Samsung has a bad track record on delivering updates so that devices can be updates, that has changed and Samsung is now on par with Apple which is great, its just they odd support mentioned above that needs to be fixed.

Good quality phones, great cameras, more innovative in terms of design than Apple, messy UI.
I'd rather go for a pixel if I would have to swap to Android full time.

I have never used an Android as a daily driver but have one as a second phone and a pile of testdevices.

jedimasterkyle

macrumors 6502
Sep 27, 2014
Idaho
My wife has had really good luck with her Samsung Galaxy phones over the years. When HTC went kaput, she switched to Samsung and she's liked them. I have my issues with Android as a whole but the build quality on her phones is legit.

She always gives me crap for when I get a new iPhone and I say "It does this <thing> now" and she usually says "I've been able to do that <thing> for a few years..."

maj71303

macrumors regular
May 13, 2014
Maryland
Got the Galaxy Tab S9+ 5G last year and it has been an absolute beast. Got the Galaxy S24 Ultra in orange to go with it. Also have an iPhone 15 Pro Max & Pixel 8 pro and the Galaxy S24 Ultra is my new daily, retiring the Pixel 8 pro that retired the 15 Pro Max. I'm not hooked into any ecosystem heavily so the transition is relatively minor. IF you are going to do it just rip the band-aid off and get it all done. But if you have any reservations or depend on a particular ecosystem service you are just fooling yourself thinking you can switch.

I've always been platform diverse so it is never a problem switching around.

Reactions: Tig Bitties

Tig Bitties

macrumors 603
Sep 6, 2012
Got the Galaxy Tab S9+ 5G last year and it has been an absolute beast. Got the Galaxy S24 Ultra in orange to go with it. Also have an iPhone 15 Pro Max & Pixel 8 pro and the Galaxy S24 Ultra is my new daily, retiring the Pixel 8 pro that retired the 15 Pro Max. I'm not hooked into any ecosystem heavily so the transition is relatively minor. IF you are going to do it just rip the band-aid off and get it all done. But if you have any reservations or depend on a particular ecosystem service you are just fooling yourself thinking you can switch.

I've always been platform diverse so it is never a problem switching around.

How are you liking the S24U over the Pixel 8P? What things jump out between the two, or better on the S24U Ultra?

maj71303

macrumors regular
May 13, 2014
Maryland
How are you liking the S24U over the Pixel 8P? What things jump out between the two, or better on the S24U Ultra?
Other than missing pixels automatic call screening, the S24 Ultra is the better device. Screen, responsiveness, compatibility is all better on the S24 Ultra. It's definitely easier getting my cards activated on Samsung pay as it only requires text codes to activate. Pixel required me to call my bank to get cards added to Gpay. Weight wise it is very balanced and feels good to hold.

Dave245

macrumors G3
Sep 15, 2013

This! I’m a long time Apple user and heavy in the Apple ecosystem (like owning nearly every Apple product over the years heavy). I hate windows, compared to Mac it just feels like trash In my opinion.

That being said, i do try different devices, i‘m currently using the S24 Ultra alongside my iPhone 14 Pro Max. I don’t’ think i would switch completely over to Android tho. In my opinion the op should try a device alongside the Apple devices and see how that goes.

tweaknmod

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 13, 2012
Ottawa, Ontario
This! I’m a long time Apple user and heavy in the Apple ecosystem (like owning nearly every Apple product over the years heavy). I hate windows, compared to Mac it just feels like trash In my opinion.

That being said, i do try different devices, i‘m currently using the S24 Ultra alongside my iPhone 14 Pro Max. I don’t’ think i would switch completely over to Android tho. In my opinion the op should try a device alongside the Apple devices and see how that goes.
While I do like that idea, I’m more the type of person to dive in - all or nothing.

Part of what I love about Apple is that everything is designed to work in concert. What I’m wondering, or curious about, is how Samsung’s take on that is when one uses all of their devices together.

It would be an expensive experiment… 😅

Dave245

macrumors G3
Sep 15, 2013
While I do like that idea, I’m more the type of person to dive in - all or nothing.

Part of what I love about Apple is that everything is designed to work in concert. What I’m wondering, or curious about, is how Samsung’s take on that is when one uses all of their devices together.

It would be an expensive experiment… 😅

Yea I understand that completely, at one point last year I had the S23 Ultra, the Watch 4 classic and the Tabs S8 Ultra. I sold it all and went back to Apple in the end.
I’m now using an S24 Ultra alongside my iPhone, I’m not sure if I will keep it tho. I have until the 7th Feb to return if I choose. Maybe you should try and see how you get on with the Samsung devices, if you’re not happy return them (if you’re in the UK you don’t have anything to lose since we don’t have any re-stocking fee).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.