Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

KauaiBruce

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 5, 2007
Kauai, HI
I noticed something really nice last night. The new phone does not make my speakers buzz!

I can finally keep it next to my computer. I am sure someone out there knows exactly why but I am assuming it is because I have a good 3G connection so it does not use edge at all.

southerndoc

Contributor
May 15, 2006
USA
I noticed something really nice last night. The new phone does not make my speakers buzz!

I can finally keep it next to my computer. I am sure someone out there knows exactly why but I am assuming it is because I have a good 3G connection so it does not use edge at all.

If that's the case, then that's reason enough for me to go ahead and buy a 3G phone. I HATE the speaker interference.

richard4339

macrumors 6502a
Sep 6, 2006
Illinois
I noticed it at work, but I drop between 3G and Edge at work. Our building has an AT&T 3G tower in the parking lot, but in this room, reception is sketchy.

Decrepit

macrumors 65816
Sep 6, 2007
Foothills to the Rocky Mountains
If that's the case, then that's reason enough for me to go ahead and buy a 3G phone. I HATE the speaker interference.

I was thinking the same thing. I didn't know it was just GSM that did it. I haven't found a real reason to buy an iPhone 3G since my region won't see 3G data for a while. But not having to keep my phone at a distance from my clock radio or my computer speakers is definitely a huge plus.

Krevnik

macrumors 601
Sep 8, 2003
There is GSM noise if you are getting EDGE reception. If you are getting 3G reception there isn't. It has to do with the frequencies used for each, and the fact that they are separate.

There is nothing magical about the new iPhone which kills GSM noise. Just that the GSM/EDGE frequencies are in the band that interfere with speakers as a side-effect. CMDA and 3G aren't.

KauaiBruce

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 5, 2007
Kauai, HI
That alone will make me get a dock. I never used the old dock because it was by my computer and the noise made me crazy. We have 3G everywhere on our island you can get a phone signal. I heard the AT&T rep that did the upgrades :DREALLY liked Kauai.

FarSeide

macrumors 6502a
Feb 17, 2008
Earth Lane
this is a great news. I no longer have to turn off my speaker when I'm on a conference call. I normally would have to hide my phone far aways from the speakers.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.