Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

humpbacktwale

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 20, 2019
I first noticed this over a year ago. I'd come back home after having used mobile data all day. The battery indicator would be on the same value as it was when I left the house. Coming back in and reconnecting to wifi, it would drop 8-16%. This went on for a few months, then randomly stopped back in march. Now I don't really use my phone for much, messaging and that's really it. It's a 6s. But the battery behaviour has been so erratic. Sometimes, on a good day, it will only drain about 15%, but that is usually with only about 30 mins- hour of screen on time and maybe 10 off. Then sometimes it drains by 10% in the space of a few hours. Overnight, it's usually 2-5%. But sometimes, its been 10-15%. This baffles me given their is literally no usage to accompany it. After using an app like Tinder or something similar, the battery drains at a rate I'd expect. But then whatever value it is at when I leave the app, it stays on that for hours, sometimes 4-6+.

This behaviour of irregular drain generally always happens after updates, but sometimes outside of them as well.

The only thing I can conclude is that the battery indicator is not reporting an accurate value. I remember trying to drain it to recalibrate it, which I did a few times back during that weird period of it dropping when leaving mobile data and going onto wifi. It stayed on 1% for 36 hours before, and that was with use. The fact that the problem went away on its own is even more confusing.

Mr. Awesome

macrumors 65816
Feb 24, 2016
Idaho, USA
As a lithium-ion battery ages, it retains less power, and your phone can’t get an accurate power reading from it. The phone will die faster, the battery indicator won’t be accurate, etc.

Mr. Awesome

macrumors 65816
Feb 24, 2016
Idaho, USA
On an old iPhone 5S I had once, it would jump from 3% to 30% when you plugged it in, and sometimes stay at 1% for 45 minutes.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.