Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

felixroqu3

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 5, 2012
New York, NY
I cannot make a decision for the life of me. I currently have a 12 Pro. Use both personal and work lines on it. Battery lasts me through the day, so no issues with that.

The reason I’m considering the 13PM is because I traded in my 12” iPad Pro in order to consolidate devices. I’m taking more of a minilamist approach in life and am getting rid of unnecessary items. My thought process was to get rid of the iPad (of which I used daily at home) to get the Pro Max, but the weight of that thing is pretty substantial. But something I decided to just “deal with.”

Now, after trading in my iPad Pro yesterday, I played with the mini, and, sort of fell in love with it? Now I’m in a dilemma. I had never considered a mini before yesterday, now I’m torn. Even more so because it seems like the 13 mini will have similar battery life to the 12 Pro that I currently have that lasts me the whole day (12 Pro has 10.78 Wh battery vs 13 Mini has 9.57 Wh which I do not think is a huge difference. Maybe an hour?)

Now, is there anyone here torn between these two devices? Has anyone downgraded from a Max/Pro iteration to a mini? If so, what has been your experience?

PS: if relevant, I've averaged 4 hours of on-screen time in the past 10 days

Rafterman

Contributor
Apr 23, 2010
I'm all about storage, and I'm getting a Pro Max because of 1TB - plus I've just gotten used to big phones. But Apple bumping the Mini up to 512GB was enticing.

mxidis88

macrumors regular
Jul 8, 2013
SLC, UT
I have the 12mini now. The battery life has been a killer and I've been waiting to go a bit bigger for awhile now. At the end of the day, I would probably enjoy using the pro max, but the size/weight is a killer to carry around. I ordered the 13pro.

Lotuskid

macrumors regular
May 23, 2010
I’m sort of in this camp. The two extreme end devices interest me the most. I have a 13PM pre-preordered lol but also just added a 13 mini to consider. I tried a 12 mini briefly before switching to the 12pm. I thought the size would be too unwieldy but like others have observed basically whichever one you get you tend to normalize as you use it and now the 12pm feels OK. Not the best ergonomically but ok lol. I will most likely order the 13PM tomorrow morning as i haven’t minded the size of the max phone the last few months and i know the battery improvement will be a tangible real life benefit.

for OP i think if your average SoT is 4 hours the new mini should be great as far as battery life. I have also largely replaced my iPad pro use with the 12pm around my apartment but still with the Apple Pencil and keyboard the iPad for me serves different needs so i can’t fully consolidate it into one big iPhone. BUT i reach for the iPad much less now since owning a max iphone.

if you already sold your iPad i think you may miss having the option of a larger screen if you go with the mini, and not the max.

Reactions: jcorbin

Rafterman

Contributor
Apr 23, 2010
Have you gotten use to the weight?

Honestly, with phones, I found it doesn't matter too much. Unless one has physical issues, the weight difference between the mini and the Pro Max was negligible. And my eyeballs definitely prefer the larger screen.

lamerica80

macrumors 6502a
May 22, 2008
Honestly, with phones, I found it doesn't matter too much. Unless one has physical issues, the weight difference between the mini and the Pro Max was negligible. And my eyeballs definitely prefer the larger screen.
Lol its hardly negligible...come on.

nyermen

macrumors 6502
Jul 23, 2018
I have the 12mini now. The battery life has been a killer and I've been waiting to go a bit bigger for awhile now. At the end of the day, I would probably enjoy using the pro max, but the size/weight is a killer to carry around. I ordered the 13pro.
I'm aiming for the pro too, as a current 12mini user. Pro Max bit too big, would love the screen and battery but for the overall size. 12 mini battery become a hindrance and I dont think the 13 is enough of an improvement.

mxidis88

macrumors regular
Jul 8, 2013
SLC, UT
I'm aiming for the pro too, as a current 12mini user. Pro Max bit too big, would love the screen and battery but for the overall size. 12 mini battery become a hindrance and I dont think the 13 is enough of an improvement.
When I think about the max, I just think of every time I'm going to wear shorts with an elastic band and that I'll be holding them up the whole time or not putting my phone in my pocket...

Lyesenia

macrumors newbie
Oct 24, 2017
I just don't get why the mini still exists lol. I guess there's a small appeal to it but then you have the 13 and 13 pro to fill those appealing factors imo

felixroqu3

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 5, 2012
New York, NY
How much did your mini battery decline since getting it?

jcorbin

macrumors 65816
Oct 18, 2011
D.C.
I had the mini for a little over a month I think and I loved how the weight and size gave it such mobility and ease of use one handed. I had come from a mid level and android behemoth and wanted something smaller. Well…I started missing a tele lens. And I was consuming s lot of media and missed the bigger screen. And of course the batter was meh. So I got a 12PM. Yes there are times when the size or weight can be less than ideal. But it is far from enough to make me move back to a smaller phone. Reachability and being able to move the keyboard to one side go a long way in making the size a non-issue. And the weight is only really an issue in basketball shorts which is really just at bedtime (a basketball player I am not ?).

TL;DR the pro max is hands down the best for content consumption, texting, emailing, browsing, etc. yes it has its shortcomings, as does the mini. But I would take a pro max every day over a smaller phone.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.