Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

maverick22

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 30, 2012
Best Buy is much closer to me than an Apple Store, and I really don’t want a $1400 (ish) device sitting outside until I get home from work, so I was thinking about doing in-store for pickup at Best Buy. I also am a Total Tech member so AppleCare+ is included.

Anyone know if Best Buy will be doing orders this Friday to be picked up in store on the 22nd, or only for shipping?

Also, does anyone know if I order an ATT one, will it allow me to use those smaller phone carriers such as US Mobile, Visible, etc? I plan to just pay for it in full when I order it.

Thanks in advance!

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
Do you have the Best Buy app? It looks like if you have the app you can choose a Notify Me button to do the preorder on their site. Unfortunately it looks like they need to be activated with either Verizon or AT&T.

Reactions: maverick22

maverick22

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 30, 2012
Do you have the Best Buy app? It looks like if you have the app you can choose a Notify Me button to do the preorder on their site. Unfortunately it looks like they need to be activated with either Verizon or AT&T.
Yes, I have the app. Thanks. I checked the “notify me.”

Just wondering if this Friday it will allow me to place an order for store pickup for the following Friday (or only to have it shipped).

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
Yes, I have the app. Thanks. I checked the “notify me.”

Just wondering if this Friday it will allow me to place an order for store pickup for the following Friday (or only to have it shipped).
I order from them a lot and normally I get store pickup available when I want but yeah I never ordered an iPhone from them before. Sorry I wish I could answer definitively for you.

Reactions: maverick22

lordhamster

macrumors 68000
Jan 23, 2008
Best Buy is much closer to me than an Apple Store, and I really don’t want a $1400 (ish) device sitting outside until I get home from work, so I was thinking about doing in-store for pickup at Best Buy. I also am a Total Tech member so AppleCare+ is included.

Anyone know if Best Buy will be doing orders this Friday to be picked up in store on the 22nd, or only for shipping?

Also, does anyone know if I order an ATT one, will it allow me to use those smaller phone carriers such as US Mobile, Visible, etc? I plan to just pay for it in full when I order it.

Thanks in advance!
Maybe this has changed, but I thought that BestBuy phones were sold unlocked.... but with some odd "flex" policy that basically locks it to the first carrier sim inserted?

U1cracka

macrumors member
Sep 14, 2012
I normally buy from best buy because I have there total tech but they no longer sell t-mobile that sucks.

maverick22

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 30, 2012
Maybe this has changed, but I thought that BestBuy phones were sold unlocked.... but with some odd "flex" policy that basically locks it to the first carrier sim inserted?
I think they still do it that way.

I am interested in checking out other networks as I haven’t been too impressed with ATT over the years. I guess I could order ahead of time, pay in full, hopefully have it shipped to the store, have them insert an ATT sim, then port it over shortly after.

I still can’t decide which carrier I would want to switch to.

lordhamster

macrumors 68000
Jan 23, 2008
I think they still do it that way.

I am interested in checking out other networks as I haven’t been too impressed with ATT over the years. I guess I could order ahead of time, pay in full, hopefully have it shipped to the store, have them insert an ATT sim, then port it over shortly after.

I still can’t decide which carrier I would want to switch to.
I've tried:
  • AT&T Prepaid
  • Cricket
  • Visible by Verizon
  • Google FI
All are pretty great in their own way. I love MVNO carriers that offer full speed unthrottled data.

maverick22

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 30, 2012
I've tried:
  • AT&T Prepaid
  • Cricket
  • Visible by Verizon
  • Google FI
All are pretty great in their own way. I love MVNO carriers that offer full speed unthrottled data.
Give US Mobile a try!

That’s who I am “test driving.” You can choose either VZ or T-Mobile. Apparently VZ is a little better as there is little to no difference apparently to actual VZ customers and USM customers using VZ towers.

lordhamster

macrumors 68000
Jan 23, 2008
Give US Mobile a try!

That’s who I am “test driving.” You can choose either VZ or T-Mobile. Apparently VZ is a little better as there is little to no difference apparently to actual VZ customers and USM customers using VZ towers.
Forgot to mention but I did. Was pretty good

lyngo

macrumors 6502a
Sep 10, 2007
No. I’m a Tmobile customer and they’re no longer catering to T-Mobile at Best Buy.

trek360

macrumors 6502
Oct 18, 2011
Anyone preorder for arrival on launch today and get their phone? I’ve gotten two emails that say they are still working on the order and it is taking longer than expected. Not expecting it today at this point.

tskwara

macrumors member
May 6, 2010
Anyone preorder for arrival on launch today and get their phone? I’ve gotten two emails that say they are still working on the order and it is taking longer than expected. Not expecting it today at this point.

I preordered on launch day morning for pickup, and I got the same two emails (and texts) you received. Online chat says this 'Pre-ordered' status means the store hasn't received my phone from the manufacturer yet. She said it still might come in at the store, and my status will be updated and communicated when that happens.

trek360

macrumors 6502
Oct 18, 2011
I preordered on launch day morning for pickup, and I got the same two emails (and texts) you received. Online chat says this 'Pre-ordered' status means the store hasn't received my phone from the manufacturer yet. She said it still might come in at the store, and my status will be updated and communicated when that happens.

I called Best Buy on a whim and after a lot of transfers between agents they said there was an activation issue with ATT. He asked for a few details and said he would call me back after talking to ATT. Did not expect anything, but he did call back about 30-45minutes later saying the upgrade was cleared with ATT and I could go to BB and pick up the phone. I was able to pick it up and setting it up now. You may want to check with a live operator to confirm the chat info.
Good luck with yours!

tskwara

macrumors member
May 6, 2010
Interesting and good outcome for you. The agent I chatted with insisted they would contact me once my phone arrives at the pickup location. It was frustrating having to hear this simple statement of their workflow rather than how my problem would get solved. Nonetheless, I read before ordering how much of a gamble I would be taking pre ordering with Best Buy. I've purchased from BB for years, but never a pre order, never again.

tskwara

macrumors member
May 6, 2010
Just following up: Best Buy came through today, one day later than originally promised.

Mr. Bear

macrumors member
Apr 20, 2021
A little late to the party, but I ordered from BB on the 15th. I have that TechTool stuff that gives me two years of free Applecare+ I logged in at 8:30 and it said "Check back on the 22nd!" and then about 15 minutes later, it let me order. Got a flurry of emails and other messages on my phone yesterday. Went down to BB and they were confoozed. But eventually found my phone and gave it back to me :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.