Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

serrano

macrumors newbie
Apr 15, 2024
You will see when you turn it off the screen gets brighter but if your nitpicky like me the uniformity is not as good with the center as on the sides esp with white background. Also don't upgrade to the Dell FW that was released March 7 as they break some monitor connectivity with the macs. I may update to Mac OS 14.4.1 that was released yesterday,
Did you do the Mac OS update to 14.4.1 yet?
Did it have any effect on your monitor (good or bad?)

Thank you in advance,

serrano

richard371

macrumors 68040
Feb 1, 2008
Thank you for the reply.

I believe this monitor is 8 bit plus FRC...not true 10bit, so, maybe that "frees up" the hardware a bit to support it at 120hz.

I'm off the phone again with Apple Support and they just can't tell me anything. All the articles talk about how many 4K and 5K monitors they can support on a Mac Pro with the Radio Pro Vega II MPX Module....all at 60hz.

But they just can't tell me anything about how it would support a 5k2K monitor at 102hz...heck they can't tell me how it would work at 60hz....I asked if they had any way of escalating this to maybe to higher tier support, maybe hit up the lab guys to ask, but nothing like that offered.

So, I dunno. I'm thinking I might pull the trigger, I need a nice monitor and I'm guessing at the very least it would work at 60hz, which my old monitor was....I"m not gaming here, but with multiple screens opened up on such a wide monitor, I'm guessing that moving the mouse and windows around would benefit from higher refresh rate and look nicer without blurring....

serrano
It is 10 bit. Show's that in info. My windows machine I just got showed 8 bit but I updated to the dell monitor driver in windows now it shows 10 bit. 120hz

Reactions: serrano

serrano

macrumors newbie
Apr 15, 2024
Yes on 14.4.1 no issues just make sure you don't update the monitor FW.
Ok thank you for the quick reply.

Alright, I pulled the trigger and ordered mine...should be here Thursday.

I just hope it works with my Intel Mac Pro. I hope for 120hz, but not holding my breath....my old monitor was only 60hz so, I can live with it.

I'll start researching if there's any video card I could install on the Mac Pro (2019) model I have, that might work with the monitor better, if it proves to not run up to max specs.

Again, thank you for your quick reply.

I may run that update tonight....

S

serrano

macrumors newbie
Apr 15, 2024
It is 10 bit. Show's that in info. My windows machine I just got showed 8 bit but I updated to the dell monitor driver in windows now it shows 10 bit. 120hz
Hm....I'm looking at the Dell website and it says 8bit + FRC at this link:

Dell U4025QW Specs

Attachments

• Screenshot 2024-04-16 at 3.51.49 PM.png
    Screenshot 2024-04-16 at 3.51.49 PM.png
    25.5 KB · Views: 25

richard371

macrumors 68040
Feb 1, 2008
When I click on the monitors info it says 10 bit for my Mac and PC. It looks like its 8 bit+frc. Thats good enough for me even though not true 10 bit. I doubt 99% of people can tell the difference.

Last edited:
Reactions: serrano

serrano

macrumors newbie
Apr 15, 2024
Alright!!
Well, I got my monitor from B&H....free shipping, got here overnight!! And with their in-store card (PayBoo)....they paid the sales tax which saved me about 10%.

I just now got around to hooking it up to the 2019 Mac Pro desktop. The first thing I tried, was the LONGEST cord possibility. I had an older DisplayPort cable....plugged into DP on the monitor...and the other end I attached a DP to USB-C adapter as that the Mac Pro doesn't have DP....

This gives me full resolution of 5120 x 2160...but only at 60hz.

I'm using the longest cord I have due to this being on a motorized "standing desk" that can move up and down and the Big Mac Pro tower is on the floor.

Do ya'll think I could get the full resolution AND speed of 120hv if I used the HDMI cable? Or if I did usb-c - usb-c?

The HDMI cable said "high speed" on it...are there differences between HDMI cables?

Are there differences between DisplayPort cables?

Are there differences between USB-C cables?

Thank you all in advance,

S

Last edited:
Reactions: PhoenixDown

richard371

macrumors 68040
Feb 1, 2008
Alright!!
Well, I got my monitor from B&H....free shipping, got here overnight!! And with their in-store card (PayBoo)....they paid the sales tax which saved me about 10%.

I just now got around to hooking it up to the 2019 Mac Pro desktop. The first thing I tried, was the LONGEST cord possibility. I had an older DisplayPort cable....plugged into DP on the monitor...and the other end I attached a DP to USB-C adapter as that the Mac Pro doesn't have DP....

This gives me full resolution of 5120 x 2160...but only at 60hz.

I'm using the longest cord I have due to this being on a motorized "standing desk" that can move up and down and the Big Mac Pro tower is on the floor.

Do ya'll think I could get the full resolution AND speed of 120hv if I used the HDMI cable? Or if I did usb-c - usb-c?

The HDMI cable said "high speed" on it...are there differences between HDMI cables?

Are there differences between DisplayPort cables?

Are there differences between USB-C cables?

Thank you all in advance,

S
unfortunately it doesn't look like a 2019 mac will support 120hz.

serrano

macrumors newbie
Apr 15, 2024
unfortunately it doesn't look like a 2019 mac will support 120hz.

Thanks for the reply....

It's not a MacBook Pro...it is a Mac Pro...the stand alone desktop with separate slots for video cards, upgradeable...etc.

it has the video card: AMD Radeon Pro Vega II 32 GB

I was hopeful that this would be a good bit more powerful than any of the laptop GPUs....even with it being a bit older.

I did try the HDMI cable included...that would ONLY run the monitor at 30hz....60hz wasn't an option.

But so far with DP cable on the monitor, into a DP to USB-C adapter and plugged into the USB-C port on the Mac Pro...I get full resolution, but only 60hz max....(It shows 30hz also available).

I can live with this....I"m not a gamer on this...mostly for editing video and still photography...

I wish I could find out if I could buy, install and run an updated video card that might gimme the full 120hz, but I can't find what video cards would be workable with OSX on here.

I am thinking that I might cautiously update the OSX to 14.4.1 tonight...?

S

MxDaviD

macrumors member
Sep 23, 2012
Hey guys!

How is the resolution and scaling whit this monitor? Which settings are you using with this monitor?

Thanks!

richard371

macrumors 68040
Feb 1, 2008
Hey guys!

How is the resolution and scaling whit this monitor? Which settings are you using with this monitor?

Thanks!
Most use 3840x1620. I use 3200x1350 as 3800 is just too small for my eyes. regardless the resolution of the monitor remain at the high native resolution so photos and everything looks just as sharp.

learjet

macrumors member
Dec 21, 2021
Most use 3840x1620. I use 3200x1350 as 3800 is just too small for my eyes. regardless the resolution of the monitor remain at the high native resolution so photos and everything looks just as sharp.
M3 MBAs still don't support these settings, right, just MBPs?

• Wow
Reactions: Cape Dave

lynxdeb

macrumors member
Mar 29, 2009
hi guys,

there is possibility to get monitor faster than the date on the Dell site?
I've seen some post (here or on reddit) where people complain with the support and monitor was shipped before expected shipment date..

Currently for me (Italy), delivery date by site is 14th of June :eek: and myold LG 5k2k is flickering almost of the time :(

Thanks!

anthonymoody

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Aug 8, 2002
There is now the HP 740pm. Thunderbolt support. Maybe the same thing as the Dell?
Interesting that they went with a 'chin' for the speakers. I like the fact that it has a webcam built in. Seems weird that it has an ethernet port. But yeah at 1/2 the peak brightness of the Dell I wonder what that's like IRL.

Reactions: Cape Dave

Arise2B

macrumors member
Nov 26, 2019
Currently for me (Italy), delivery date by site is 14th of June :eek: and myold LG 5k2k is flickering almost of the time :(
I am waiting for a month already (in Germany) - there is definitely problem with them throughout the entire Europe.. :-( Now considering alternatives as well..

chars1ub0w

macrumors member
Jun 5, 2017
Here, there and over there
Interesting that they went with a 'chin' for the speakers. I like the fact that it has a webcam built in. Seems weird that it has an ethernet port. But yeah at 1/2 the peak brightness of the Dell I wonder what that's like IRL.
I'm no longer in the market for one of these 5K2K monitors as I ordered the 57" Samsung for less than the Dell, LG or HP 5K2K.

lynxdeb

macrumors member
Mar 29, 2009
Uh… bad smoke
My old 5k2k LG is experiencing lot of flickering… 1 months is too much. How many days does it takes to go into Production state? Thx

serrano

macrumors newbie
Apr 15, 2024
hi guys,

there is possibility to get monitor faster than the date on the Dell site?
I've seen some post (here or on reddit) where people complain with the support and monitor was shipped before expected shipment date..

Thanks!
I bought mine from B&H, and they basically had it to me overnight...MUCH faster than I had expected.
Free Shipping.
I also used their in house store card (PayBoo) and that saved me from having to pay sales tax which is almost 10% here where I live.

HTH,

serrano

PS. OOPS...after posting this, just noticed the OP was from Italy and my comments likely mean little to them..I was assuming US.

Last edited:

serrano

macrumors newbie
Apr 15, 2024
I'm doing it 5120x2160.....this is on a 2019 style Mac Pro tower.

I have the AMD Radeon Pro Vega II 32 GB video card...was hoping I could get the full 120hz out of it, but alas....so far only 60Hz.

I love the image...and I'm old with bad eyes...a bit better now post cataract surgery, but still not great vision.

On some windows I do have to hit the Alt + keys a few times and that increased the font size in the window I'm currently in....and that has done the trick for me.

I LOVE having al this real estate, plus I have 4 screens/desktops I go back and forth between...this thing is a monster and really helping out my workflows.

I'm researching now, about how best to use the profiles....to change to make sure my photos will look on screen like they will when I have them printed.

That's the next big thing I have on my list.

Anyway out there that has set their monitor to show the color profile they need for printing?

Thank you in advance,

S

kitkat99333

macrumors newbie
Jan 21, 2013
That’s an older panel that only supports 60hz and IPs black. Same as the precursor to this dell which is the u4021qw

There is now the HP 740pm. Thunderbolt support. Maybe the same thing as the Dell?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.