Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

barrett14

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 24, 2010
I have been playing BF4 via bootcamp on my late 2012 iMac (680mx) and having an absolute blast. I left the graphics quality on high and getting great framerate. It can run it on ultra but doesn't feel quite as smooth. I am happy on high though. Anyone else playing?

weemanpow3

macrumors 6502
Mar 14, 2008
I play in Bootcamp Win 8.1 on my cMBP 2012 650m. It plays great even on a 64 player server. I left the graphics at default (medium settings on my computer) 1680x1050. I could probably push the graphics quality more :)

Dekard

macrumors 6502
Sep 7, 2011
Dallas, Texas
Been playing 1920x1080 so far on medium, I dont want stutters in game. :) Plays pretty well, the latest couple patches have given me trouble with issues staying in game, the patch on the 9th, helped a bit but I still crashed several times last night.

Usually I was averaging 5-15 minutes then it would crash to a black screen with the loading icon (in the right corner blinkie cursor thing) and then after about 20 seconds would kick me to the desktop with no errors. It was frustrating. I'm using the latest beta drivers though so that might be the cause.

Soccer5se

macrumors member
Oct 21, 2011
South Korea
I have a late 2012 iMac with a 680mx card and I have been playing BF4 on high with no problem. Also, commander on the iPad is a great way to rack up points.
Multiplayer is so fun I have barely played the single player missions.

garnerx

macrumors 6502a
Nov 9, 2012
Great game but so glitchy.

The latest bug I've seen is where the map loads okay but some of the textures look like patchwork - I get big strips and rectangles flickering between low-res, high-res and untextured. It's also visible in the preview window before respawning.

Sometimes the game has no sound at all after loading.

Sometimes I'm unarmed after respawning.

It still has regular unexplained crashes back to the desktop or a black screen with the blinking 'loading' cursor.

I'd ask if anyone knows of a fix, but I think it's basically because the game is unfinished. They released it in an awful state to make their deadline, and every patch seems to introduce new bugs.

#
edit: The latest patch breaks SLI support, so ground textures flicker like strobe lights if you've got a second graphics card. I think I might be done with this game.

Last edited:

Dekard

macrumors 6502
Sep 7, 2011
Dallas, Texas
On my late 2013 rMBP, the latest drivers and BF4 patch actually helped my game out tremendously.. I see a ton of people complaining on the new patch but it's been great for me.

garnerx

macrumors 6502a
Nov 9, 2012
If you've got two or more graphics cards then it's a disaster. On mine I can either turn off the second card, in which case the framerate takes a nosedive, or apply a workaround that means the textures and trees only render properly in a small bubble around me. Makes spotting the enemy very easy, because they have no cover and they stand out as dark shapes on the light, untextured scenery.

Apparently there's a new patch in the works to fix this (and many other issues) but no doubt it will break something else. I don't think I've ever played such a bug-riddled game.

Dekard

macrumors 6502
Sep 7, 2011
Dallas, Texas
I've got the iris pro as integrated and the 750m seems to be working like a champ now that I was finally able to update the 750m driver that it shipped with..

armalite

macrumors member
Mar 25, 2011
NE Ohio
BF4 any good or is it like BF3 which was a total sucky game. I'm still playing BFBC2 and don't want to waste money on BF4 like I did on BF3.

roadbloc

macrumors G3
Aug 24, 2009
UK
Not until they fix all them bugs. Playing it on day one of release was very frustrating. I've never had a game crash so much. EA need to shape up. It isn't as if it was cheap to buy.

garnerx

macrumors 6502a
Nov 9, 2012
BF4 any good or is it like BF3 which was a total sucky game. I'm still playing BFBC2 and don't want to waste money on BF4 like I did on BF3.

I think it's a lot better than BF3. I loved BFBC2, and I don't think BF4 is quite as good as that one, but it's pretty close. Better weapons but not quite so good maps. You can destroy all the buildings again, which is something they took out of BF3. The worst bugs seem to be fixed, but it still crashes from time to time.

There are some cheap deals for BF4 cd keys online, so it's not that much of a risk. Buy direct from Origin (more expensive) and you can 'return' it within 24 hours for a refund if you don't like it.

LowVoltage

macrumors newbie
Feb 7, 2013
Your fan speeds when playing

I'm glad to see people discussing this very game on the iMac as it relates to a question I've had ever since I started considering an iMac once I retire my old 2008 MacPro.

How have you handled your Nvidia fan control needs? I'm using an ATI card and so I have Catalyst CC in Win7; I'm not familiar with the Nvidia equivalent, although I imagine I would be soon enough if I pull the trigger on the iMac.

Specifically, have you had to change fan speeds? Since the iMac only has one fan I wasn't sure if an Nvidia control panel would even give the ability to make changes. I've asked Apple folks at my local store about this, but none of them can give me an answer since they don't have any Bootcamped iMacs in the store. Furthermore, I don't know anybody that even has an Nividia-GPU based laptop, so I couldn't use that as a starting point.

Sorry if I'm threadjacking here. I'm very interested to hear how people using their iMacs for gaming handle the issue of cooling. After seeing the load BF3 put on my GPU I had to ramp up the card fan a bit, so I expected the same on an iMac.

LowVoltage

macrumors newbie
Feb 7, 2013
Anyone? I'm sure people playing a game like BF4 are going to at least glance at their temps...

Toxcedo

macrumors newbie
Jan 9, 2014
Imac 27 BF4

I first bought the late 2013 Imac 27 inch with the GT 755 video this december and it wasnt fast enough to my taste for BF4. So I changed it for the fastest model with the GTX 780m and its pretty descent for games. I got 70-80 fps on high seetings on 1080p with BF4 (I keep it 1080p since its basicly a laptop video card). Only drawback to my new Imac is the fact that the fan noise is MUCH MORE present... so I think it tends to heath up pretty fast.

pscl

macrumors 6502
Jun 3, 2013
I first bought the late 2013 Imac 27 inch with the GT 755 video this december and it wasnt fast enough to my taste for BF4. So I changed it for the fastest model with the GTX 780m and its pretty descent for games. I got 70-80 fps on high seetings on 1080p with BF4 (I keep it 1080p since its basicly a laptop video card). Only drawback to my new Imac is the fact that the fan noise is MUCH MORE present... so I think it tends to heath up pretty fast.

1080 on 27" doesn`t it look blurry?

what setting do you use? what about the graphic-scaling? <100% faster, >100% better quality

on my rmbp with 750m (and external 1080p display) it runs pretty good on high setting (little lag) but i have to turn of AA. and then it looks blurry and ugly. its fast, but its not a joy.

if my 27" imac 780m arrives i will try oc with msi afterburner. should bring 15-20fps

astott

macrumors newbie
Jan 28, 2014
bf4 on an imac

Hi there i was wandering what requirements are needed for bf4 on iMac these are the specs i have
Graphics AMD Radeon HD 6770M 512 MB
Processor 2,7 GHz Intel Core i5
Memory 12 GB 1333 MHz DDR3
What else would i need to play BF on this computer ?

garnerx

macrumors 6502a
Nov 9, 2012
Hi there i was wandering what requirements are needed for bf4 on iMac these are the specs i have
Graphics AMD Radeon HD 6770M 512 MB
Processor 2,7 GHz Intel Core i5
Memory 12 GB 1333 MHz DDR3
What else would i need to play BF on this computer ?

A copy of Windows.
That graphics chip is pretty weak though. If you buy the game through Origin you can see if it will run at acceptable levels and, if not, get a refund within 24 hours. Treat it as a demo.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.