Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

betman

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 15, 2013
I had the old Mac version which used to run on previous versions of the OS, but unfortunately it stopped being supported.

Anyone still playing somehow without having to run a partition with an older OS? Best to run an emulator to run the old Mac version or would it be easier/better to emulate a different version, such as PC/Windows?

padams35

macrumors 6502
Nov 10, 2016
Civ 2... wasn't that Classic OS era? I guess it might run on SheepShaver but you might want to try FreeCiv which ought to run in either X11 or any Linux virtual box.

Janichsan

macrumors 68040
Oct 23, 2006
The game definitely works pretty well in a classic Mac emulator, such as Sheepshaver or even Basilisk II (if can get hold of the 68k version of the game).

The Windows version is apparently somewhat problematic to emulate.

betman

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 15, 2013
The game definitely works pretty well in a classic Mac emulator, such as Sheepshaver or even Basilisk II (if can get hold of the 68k version of the game).

Thanks, think I'll go with Sheepshaver to start with. I read on their site that I need some MacOS install CDs during initial setup... do I need to find those first (not sure where considering I only have a Macbook)?

Trusteft

macrumors 6502a
Nov 5, 2014
Why not buy and play one of the later Civ versions suitable for whatever OS version and Mac you have?
I can't answer for the thread starter, but you do realize that Civ games are not exactly the same?
I am not even touching the case of nostalgia towards an older game.

betman

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 15, 2013
Only interested in Civ 2, not keen on playing the latter versions which I have tried btw.

Think I'm stuck as from what I've read in the documentation... Sheepshaver requires some MacOS install CDs. Is that still the case or have things progressed to an easy install without having to provide other code/files?

Janichsan

macrumors 68040
Oct 23, 2006
Think I'm stuck as from what I've read in the documentation... Sheepshaver requires some MacOS install CDs. Is that still the case or have things progressed to an easy install without having to provide other code/files?
No, you will need an installation of MacOS, there's no way around it. For that, you will either require an install CD, a corresponding disk image, or an disk image with MacOS already installed. You can easily find the latter on the internet with some searching.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.