Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Boyd01

Staff member
Feb 21, 2012
New Jersey Pine Barrens
Quite happy myself too. I used the legacy Final Cut Pro going almost all the way back to the beginning and didn't migrate to Final Cut Pro X until sometime around 2015. Took some getting used to, but was worth it. Also, the legacy version was very expensive and didn't include free updates. FCPX looks like a real bargain, considering you can use it on all your Macs and get free updates.

ColdCase

macrumors 68040
Feb 10, 2008
NH
I was also an early adopter, took advantage of the student discount. One of the best products I've purchased, does media management well.

dandeco

macrumors 65816
Dec 5, 2008
Brockton, MA
I've been using Final Cut Pro X for a good long time now and have really been enjoying it! It's become my go-to video editing application for making YouTube Poops and many other elaborate projects, and I feel it's gotten a lot better over the years, getting a lot more professional. It's got so many pro features that I haven't used all of them yet! For the app's tenth anniversary a couple months ago, I did this vlog about FCPX and my experiences with it as my fursona...

And yes, I heard multicam works great on FCPX, even better than it did on Final Cut Pro 7 and earlier!

TwoLaneHighway

Suspended
Aug 22, 2021
Out West
Quite happy myself too. I used the legacy Final Cut Pro going almost all the way back to the beginning and didn't migrate to Final Cut Pro X until sometime around 2015. Took some getting used to, but was worth it. Also, the legacy version was very expensive and didn't include free updates. FCPX looks like a real bargain, considering you can use it on all your Macs and get free updates.

What is the difference between legacy Final Cut Pro and Final Cut Pro X?

Is the legacy Final Cut Pro even available?

Boyd01

Staff member
Feb 21, 2012
New Jersey Pine Barrens
You can read the full history here.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Final_Cut_Pro

The final version of the legacy app was Final Cut Pro 7 in 2009 and Final Cut Pro X was released in 2011. No, you cannot get the legacy version anymore and wouldn't want it even if you could. ? I was slow to adopt Final Cut Pro X, but finally got fed up with the slow performance and frequent crashes of the legacy version on MacOS Mountain Lion. Final Cut Pro X is a completely different program that I had to learn from scratch, but it was worth it.

TwoLaneHighway

Suspended
Aug 22, 2021
Out West
You can read the full history here.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Final_Cut_Pro

The final version of the legacy app was Final Cut Pro 7 in 2009 and Final Cut Pro X was released in 2011. No, you cannot get the legacy version anymore and wouldn't want it even if you could. ? I was slow to adopt Final Cut Pro X, but finally got fed up with the slow performance and frequent crashes of the legacy version on MacOS Mountain Lion. Final Cut Pro X is a completely different program that I had to learn from scratch, but it was worth it.

If I recall, the legacy Final Cut Pro was much more robust, right?

And Final Cut Pro X is stripped down?

Boyd01

Staff member
Feb 21, 2012
New Jersey Pine Barrens
I certainly wouldn't agree with that. There were complaints to this effect when Final Cut Pro X was first released, but that was 10 years ago and it is now a mature and robust app IMO.

You can find out for yourself, there's a 90-day free trial of the full app available here.

Ledgem

macrumors 68020
Jan 18, 2008
Hawaii, USA

Final Cut Pro X was basically Final Cut Pro in name and design only - the code base was completely rewritten, as opposed to the Final Cut Pro versions that came before it. When it first launched it was criticized as not having all of the features that Final Cut Pro 7 (the version prior) had. Considering it was rewritten from the ground up, it's understandable that it may have lacked some features. But as mentioned above, that was ten years ago. Apple has been updating Final Cut Pro since then.

I don't hear people complaining about FCP anymore, but I'm not sure if that's because Apple added back all of the features (and then some) or if it's because the guys who were complaining all moved on to other platforms. I used FCP7 but the work I did was pretty basic; I don't notice much difference in function with FCP now.

XNorth

macrumors 6502
Feb 23, 2018
United States
I’m considering FCPX for multicam use.
I have been on FCPX since the beginning. Multicam on FCP better than on any other editor.

No FCPX is not stripped down. It's very different and much better than legacy FCP ever was. It is a full-featured professional app. The magnetic timeline and metadata key wording are outstanding unique features of FCPX.

Last edited:

soulreaver99

macrumors 68040
Aug 15, 2010
Southern California
Nope, bought it at student pricing at it has paid for itself many times over. Also love how it's optimized very well on the Mac and how easy it was to learn and use starting with ZERO experience editing videos.

Reactions: Donfor39
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.