Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida
Calling, texting and using Facebook is bad user?? Cause that’s all I could do on that small ass screen. Left in low power mode and brightness down as well cause I didn’t want to be connected a charger all the time.

Did not say you were a "bad user". I did say that after three iPhones you have to suspect the user. Apple never intended on us living on our phones. You can see that most are very happy with the battery in the SE.

PBz

macrumors 68030
Nov 3, 2005
SoCal
I did.. and then the small screen and skinny keyboard drove me nuts so I went back.

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Oct 1, 2007
I’ve had the iPhone 5/SE form factor since 2012. I just bought an X. I’m loving it. I completely skipped the iPhone 6 to 8 form factor and it definitely feels nice to use a bigger screen. It feels so small and weird using the smaller iPhone SE now.
But it’s probably the best small smartphone out there and so powerful.

Battery life is crap on the SE now. Don’t listen when people say iPhone SE battery life is great. They are liars. It was great when it came out but now it’s not very good. It used to be great on iOS 9 and 10. That’s a fact.

Skipping 6-8 is legendary!

Never updating my SE from 10.2

Reactions: andreyush

Brandonjr36

macrumors 68000
Sep 12, 2016
Joplin
Not sure why you’re persisting with this. The SE is renowned for great battery life, largely as a result of that “small ass screen”. Your whole line here is about as credible as Trump.
Oh congrats for bringing in politics. I was just stating my opinion you said it was a user error I told you what I did on it. The se is a pos that is my opinion. Leave it at that.
[doublepost=1515008749][/doublepost]
Did not say you were a "bad user". I did say that after three iPhones you have to suspect the user. Apple never intended on us living on our phones. You can see that most are very happy with the battery in the SE.
But you wanted to blame me as the user. And didn’t think about it being on iOS 11 as others have said made there battery life ****. There’s nothing you can do about being on iOS 11 when you buy the phone and it’s already on it. Or makes you update before going any further.
[doublepost=1515008815][/doublepost]
Same users made the same battery argument in another thread the other day and got the same response...
Well how about you all just go buy an se on iOS 11 and come back and tell us your response on it then. When the sob dies in 5-6 hours you’ll know what I’m talking about.

Beau10

macrumors 65816
Apr 6, 2008
US based digital nomad
I'm enjoying the X I got for Christmas, but man, the ergonomics of the SE for 1-handed use are king. I'm going back and forth between the two devices and am having some trouble making up my mind.

These are some of the things worth considering:

- With the ability to move the keyboard to the left (I'm a lefty) and accessibility I'm mostly there on one-handed use, but it's obviously not quite as fast as the SE. On the whole, I wish there were flexibility to modify the home zone (swipe up), control center, and the main overlay. At the very least being able to configure control center to the left would be super

- The camera and 4k video of the X is of course a big step up. It's not a big deal to me though, but it's certainly nice and notable

- The audio quality using the dongle on the X is superior vs. the headphone out on the SE. This is somewhat of a big deal to me, I have fairly high-end IEMs (Campfire Andromedas, cost as much of the X itself) that I listen to when working at cafes and the like.

- The extra screen real estate isn't as much extra as one would hope - everything is displayed larger. On some sites you might only get maybe 10-20% more on the screen, but on others it can be 50%+. That said, I'm a remote working software dev and have our daily standups in google chat. With the X I feel more confident walking the dogs during meetings since when folks share their screen it's reasonably legible.

- Getting an OLED TV last year was a *HUGE* step up over the plasma I had before. I was thinking it would be the same w/ the X, but am not noticing much difference in practice.

- Battery life on the X seems better by a good margin, but my SE is nearly 2 years old and probably has well over 500 cycles on it.

- Wireless charging is amazing. I bought a lamp from Ikea with a wireless base that I put on my nightstand. The X lasts just about all day for my use so it's been incredibly convenient the last several days I've had this as I tend to leave my phone next to my bed. It would definitely be missed.

- Weight is somewhat annoying on the X, esp. when sitting in bed using it as a Kindle for more than 30 minutes. It is what it is, I'd take the SE despite the smaller screen.

Ultimately for me - keeping in mind I have fairly small mitts - something like an X mini, say at 5 inches or so, would be a dream device. Apparently Samsung might have an S9 mini which would certainly be interesting. I absolutely love the S8's hardware, just ho-hum on Android itself.

Last edited:

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida
But you wanted to blame me as the user. And didn’t think about it being on iOS 11 as others have said made there battery life ****. There’s nothing you can do about being on iOS 11 when you buy the phone and it’s already on it. Or makes you update before going any further.
If you use the SE enough to have to charge it 3 times a day, you got to be living on your phone. Give it a break, Apple never intended the SE to be used for 18 hours a day.

As far as it having iOS11 that is just the way it is. You owned three!

My neighbor has the SE on iOS11 and it last all day with about 40% left over, but then he does not stay on his phone all day.

If it does not suit you there are lots of other choices.

I am done here as I do not see this going anywhere.

Have a great week!

Last edited:

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
Well how about you all just go buy an se on iOS 11 and come back and tell us your response on it then. When the sob dies in 5-6 hours you’ll know what I’m talking about.
We do have an iPhone SE running iOS 11 in the household. Moderate use, has ~40% charge when it gets home. Heavy use, ~15%. That's around the same battery life that it was getting on iOS 10.

People don't have the same usage, settings and apps installed. It's possible your particular use-case means heavier battery drain on iOS 11 than iOS 10 but your experience is not universal.

tomjleeds

macrumors 6502a
Jul 19, 2004
Manchester, UK

Look, this is very simple.

There are many, many more anecdotes on here about good battery life with an SE and iOS 11 than there are bad.

When there’s an anomaly in the data, there tends to be a reason behind it.

Reactions: Newtons Apple

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida
Look, this is very simple.

There are many, many more anecdotes on here about good battery life with an SE and iOS 11 than there are bad.

When there’s an anomaly in the data, there tends to be a reason behind it.

The OP refuses to think that after three phones with the same problem, that it could possibly be and error on his part. I know several friends who rave about the battery life on the SE but I am sure there are those who do not.

Life goes on and I am loving my X.

Reactions: tomjleeds

andreyush

macrumors 6502a
Oct 24, 2015
Iphone SE best phone i owned so far...6s and 8 are decent but SE is so small and awesome for what it does..More than enough for me.

Brandonjr36

macrumors 68000
Sep 12, 2016
Joplin
The OP refuses to think that after three phones with the same problem, that it could possibly be and error on his part. I know several friends who rave about the battery life on the SE but I am sure there are those who do not.

Life goes on and I am loving my X.
I’m not the op tho. Once again was just stating my opinion

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Iphone SE best phone i owned so far...6s and 8 are decent but SE is so small and awesome for what it does..More than enough for me.

I think the iPhone 6s was my favorite within the last four years of iPhones, mainly because the display was vibrant and had a very stark tone to it. Compared to the other displays have a much warmer tone.

Dented

macrumors 65816
Oct 16, 2009
Oh congrats for bringing in politics. I was just stating my opinion you said it was a user error I told you what I did on it. The se is a pos that is my opinion. Leave it at that.
I didn’t say it was user error, I’m just calling you out for posting BS. Later in this thread you claim your SE went from 100 to 30% in three hours of “hardly using it” - that’s just not a credible claim. It’s as believable as me claiming my SE lasts a weekof heavy use between charges. Either you’re grossly exaggerating to support an ill-thought out initial argument (my bet), or you’ve got some kind of defective app installed that would have drained the heck out of any iPhone.

I use my SE plenty during the day, take it off the charger at 6.30 and come home from work at 18.30 with at least 50-60% battery or more, every single day. I couldn’t use 70% in three hours if I tried.

BTW at this point the reference I made wasn’t political, it’s just an internationally recognised by-word for utter farce.

Beau10

macrumors 65816
Apr 6, 2008
US based digital nomad
After popping my sim card back into the SE and using it this morning, I'm going to take the X back. The SE is just an ergonomic marvel for 1-hand use, and although Face ID works great for me and hardly ever misses, Touch ID is similarly accurate yet a bit faster, esp. in the face of having to swipe up in conjunction.

As far as battery life I'm on the latest iOS and have 81% after 3.5 hours with random texting and web use. Downloaded a battery program and see my battery is 85% health - so if I got a fresh battery it probably wouldn't be too far off from the X.

Last edited:

Brandonjr36

macrumors 68000
Sep 12, 2016
Joplin
I didn’t say it was user error, I’m just calling you out for posting BS. Later in this thread you claim your SE went from 100 to 30% in three hours of “hardly using it” - that’s just not a credible claim. It’s as believable as me claiming my SE lasts a weekof heavy use between charges. Either you’re grossly exaggerating to support an ill-thought out initial argument (my bet), or you’ve got some kind of defective app installed that would have drained the heck out of any iPhone.

I use my SE plenty during the day, take it off the charger at 6.30 and come home from work at 18.30 with at least 50-60% battery or more, every single day. I couldn’t use 70% in three hours if I tried.

BTW at this point the reference I made wasn’t political, it’s just an internationally recognised by-word for utter farce.
That’s good glad it works great for you. I myself wouldn’t take an se for free. But maybe it’s cause I hated the 5 body. Or really any iPhone before the 6.

andreyush

macrumors 6502a
Oct 24, 2015
I think the iPhone 6s was my favorite within the last four years of iPhones, mainly because the display was vibrant and had a very stark tone to it. Compared to the other displays have a much warmer tone.

Yes 6s is awesome :D. 7 is meeh and 8 is decent :D IMO.

kevink2

macrumors 68000
Nov 2, 2008
I currently have 4 phones for 2 lines. 2 android, 2 iPhones. Started off as having a backup phone (Moto G5), then was able to buy an E4 for $40 as a second backup phone when I had upgraded to 2 lines.

If the $200 SE had been available when I bought the G5, I would have bought that as a backup.

Then I caved and bought the X, so my backup iPhone is the 7+. Which will be the phone I take on my first skiing trip since it is in an otter box, and if things go bad, I don't break the X.

Reactions: rui no onna

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
Yes 6s is awesome :D. 7 is meeh and 8 is decent :D IMO.
Lol, it always seems like forum members here are superhuman. I've used a 6, 6s, 7 and 8 and can't really differentiate between their displays. :D

That said, even on the same model, some devices' displays just run warm while others' might run cool.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.