Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ebook

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 10, 2004
Sprint Car Capital of the World
Okay, I don't have enough money to buy a new computer ever couple of years so sometimes I have to do some scheming to get some new technology. So.... when I saw the announcement of the intel machines my brain started to work. In my possesion I have a Rev. A 20" iMac, a 1.33 g4 12" iBook, and an old G3 iBook. The iMac I'm keeping because it would just be too much money to replace, but I can do something with my new iBook. So, this is what I came up with:

I bought the G4 iBook during the back to school promotion and with my edu discount then I sold both the iPod mini (before they came out with the nano) and the free printer. That dropped the price of my purchase a couple of hundred dollars. Then, I was going to sell the old G3, but never got around to it. Now, I've just bought a Rev. A mini (1.25 and 256), I'm going to sell my newer iBook (should be able to get close to what I have in it still ... thanks e-bay) and keep my G3 iBook for wireless internet use and for hooking up to the projectors at work for powerpoint presentation (main use of my laptop). I'm going to hook up my Mac mini to a 15" LCD TV that I already had on my desk and only use the old G3 a couple of days a week. Then, when some new iBooks (or their Macbook? replacements) come out I can check those out and pick up a new laptop. Then, I'll sell both the mini and the G3 iBook and with the extra money from selling my G4 iBook (minus the cost of the mini) I should be able to pick up the new laptop for not much out of pocket money! Especially if I do it around the back to school time and they have those same deals!!

So, anyone else come up with some good schemes?

twoodcc

macrumors P6
Feb 3, 2005
Right side of wrong
actually i've already pulled off a scheme to get my powerbook, and i have going right now. i sold my mac mini hoping that they would release an intel mac mini, so i was going to buy that. now i might end up buying a 17" intel imac. i only got $400 for my mini, but i worked over the winter break (i'm in college) so i should have just enough. what do you think?

devilot

Moderator emeritus
May 1, 2005
ebook said:
So, anyone else come up with some good schemes?
I don't know. Personally? I think your plan seems so complicated! :eek:

My 'scheme?' I'll get a job... and by the time I have any significant amount of money saved up, there will hopefully be another revision of MacIntel machines and more products released across all the product lines. ;)

I like my simple plan: Work, save, buy.

ebook

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 10, 2004
devilot said:
I don't know. Personally? I think your plan seems so complicated! :eek:

My 'scheme?' I'll get a job... and by the time I have any significant amount of money saved up, there will hopefully be another revision of MacIntel machines and more products released across all the product lines. ;)

I like my simple plan: Work, save, buy.

Ahhh...the working and saving plan is too easy! Well, actually it is too difficult in the case of me (married, two kids, wife stays at home) because if I save the money it always ends up going somewhere else. With my somewhat confusing, yet brilliant in my mind, plan I can get some newer technology in a little while. I just have to suffer with a little less powerful stuff for the time being. With the transition to intel and all the possibilities it brings I thought this would be the best for my money.

tobefirst ⚽️

macrumors 601
Jan 24, 2005
St. Louis, MO
ebook said:
Okay, I don't have enough money to buy a new computer ever couple of years so sometimes I have to do some scheming to get some new technology...

In my possesion I have a Rev. A 20" iMac, a 1.33 g4 12" iBook, and an old G3 iBook...

Now, I've just bought a Rev. A mini (1.25 and 256)

Oh, the irony. :) :) :)

atari1356

macrumors 68000
Feb 27, 2004
I'm saving my scheming for the Rev. B MacBook Pro... although getting one now is VERY tempting. I just can't justify it since my current PowerBook really does everything I need.

Then again, the longer I wait the less money I'll get by selling my PowerBook... aarrrgh :( :D

plinden

macrumors 601
Apr 8, 2004
ebook said:
Ahhh...the working and saving plan is too easy! Well, actually it is too difficult in the case of me (married, two kids, wife stays at home) because if I save the money it always ends up going somewhere else.
Open a separate secret account and shift some cash every week into it.

Or do what I did (in the same boat - married, two kids, kept having to buy things for the house, like the $2000 I was earmarking for a PowerBook a year ago going to buy new sofas, which we needed, by the way) - get caught looking longingly at the Apple website, talk about Apple computers and how good they are (but don't overdo it since you'll turn into a bore), buy some nice but not very expensive jewelry unexpectedly for your wife (consider that an investment). Then like my wife, she might say you can buy a new Mac - of course it helps to have a four year old Dell that has been showing signs of its age recently, and also to have cashed in some stock options recently ... but it might work.

I'm just waiting for the first impressions of the iMac in real use - if it all seems good, I'll be getting one soon.

ebook

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 10, 2004
tobefirst said:
Oh, the irony. :) :) :)

Point well taken... Except you must realize that I was replacing a 333 iMac when I got that new iMac so it does show that I don't replace computers often. And really the only reason that I'm scheming now is because I just purchased that G4 iBook and I see that is going to be over powered very quickly ... somewhat like my iMac that you can now get for less with an iSight and more. So, yes it is somewhat ironic ... somewhat

stevep

macrumors 6502a
Oct 13, 2004
UK
plinden said:
- of course it helps to have a four year old Dell that has been showing signs of its age recently
Try turning off the firewall for 30 mins or so. Then you'll be able to easily justify to your significant other that you need a new computer...

eva01

macrumors 601
Feb 22, 2005
Gah! Plymouth
I want to sell my Rev D 12" powerbook and get a macbook, but i doubt it is going to happen.

:p

that is as far as my scheming goes

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.