Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacTech68

macrumors 68020
Mar 16, 2008
Australia, Perth
Yes. Apple II Europlus, but it's in storage and whilst it worked last time I used it (maybe 20 years ago), I have no idea if it would work today.

mi7chy

macrumors G4
Oct 24, 2014
My oldest, an Apple IIe date coded end of 1984 still works perfectly. The equipment back then were built top notch in USA (computer), Japan (drives), South Korea (monitor), etc.

weckart

macrumors 603
Nov 7, 2004
I have a couple of MacSEs from the late 80s that I restored and both are working. They can run System 3.3 onwards although they shipped with System 4.0.

Spock

macrumors 68040
Jan 6, 2002
Vulcan
I have an Apple IIe, two IIc, and a IIgs and they all work great. It’s the late 80’s to early 90’s Macintosh models that tend to die because the internal battery leaks or the caps leak. I have a Mac Classic that no longer works because of bad caps.

Reactions: mi7chy

sittnick

macrumors member
Jan 9, 2008
There is a natural supplements store in Madison, Wisconsin, where the proprietor still boots his aged Mac Plus off of floppies to run his business. He has NO concern of malware.

Reactions: jt1968 and bobesch

bunnspecial

macrumors G3
May 3, 2014
Kentucky
Plenty of 80s Macs here, including a 1984 "Macintosh"(not good for a whole lot) along with some newer but working fine Compacts and some higher end Macs like the Mac II.

I'd still like a IIfx and SE/30, but don't want to pay the crazy prices they seem to bring.

tpivette89

macrumors 6502a
Jan 1, 2018
Middletown, DE
Have a IIe platinum (complete), a IIGS (complete), a SE/30, and a IIci (complete)... all functioning> I grew up with the 80s Apple computers in grade school and love them to death. It's great firing up old school games on the IIe or IIGS.

Andy2k

macrumors member
Jul 18, 2015
I own two Macintosh Plus's. One has been complete refurbished (capacitors replaced and other components replaced/upgraded) and upgraded to a whopping 4 MB of RAM (Max Mac plus). The other is just a standard Mac Plus with 128k. One thing I do recommend if you get a vintage Mac is invest in Big Mess 'O Wires (BMOW) floppy disk emulator. It bridges the gap and allows you to boot and load different software and OS with ease. (Works like a charm!!!!)

Anonymous Freak

macrumors 603
Dec 12, 2002
Cascadia
Plenty. I'd even say the '70s to '80s Macs are more reliable than the '90s Macs.

Oldest is a 1978 Apple II plus; with plenty of '80s Apple II and Macintosh computers.

bunnspecial

macrumors G3
May 3, 2014
Kentucky
. The other is just a standard Mac Plus with 128k.

Are you sure on that RAM amount? Standard RAM in a plus is 1mb(4x256k).

Honestly, 128k in a Mac is kind of useless. The only one I have with that amount is a more-or-less original 1984 Macintosh. 512k is what I’d consider a minimum, even though I really like 1mb for System 6. System 7 is a pig in that sense, and I’ve actually been meaning to up my Q700 past it’s current 20mb for the all too frequent out of memory errors.

Garryg

macrumors newbie
Jul 29, 2009
I still have a working iMac and a Performa 6200.
I also have a Macintosh Plus, which had died again last time I tried to boot it up!

The iMac has a full version of Photoshop installed so it's not unknown for me to, very occasionally, boot that up to do some graphics work!

defjam

macrumors 6502a
Sep 15, 2019
Yes...I have a 1976 Apple-1 and a 1977 Apple II and both are working plus many other Apple II and Macintosh computers from those days that are operational.
Those are two rare birds you've got there. I have never seen an Apple-1 in real life. It'd be cool to do so. I have used an Apple II (not the Plus though I used one of those too) back in my middle school days.

bobesch

macrumors 68020
Oct 21, 2015
Kiel, Germany
Got a 68k Macintosh Classic gifted last december at Santa Claus day.
It's fully equipped with 4MB RAM and a 40MB drive.
I'm looking forward to transport it from my son's home to our place and have already found a nice case for taking it onto the plane.
In the meantime I'm really excited to fiddle with the mini_vMac 68k emulator and find out, which apps to be installed ...
And there's a needle printer on the way.
Next challenge will be getting it connected to the other G3/G4-Macs with os9 (Clamshell, Snow, TiBook, iMac, B&W, Cube, Sawtooth and Yikes). Found some first inspiration here: http://appletothecore.me/files/category-networking.php
Here's my currently favorized configuration with System7 (v.7.0), MS Office, Claris Works, MS Works, FileMaker and the option for printouts to PDF (which unfortunately doesn't work on the emulator) ...
mini vMac.png
(mini-vMac emulator and VNC-connection with "Chicken" to real os9 on iMacG3 and Clamshell)

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.