Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Appleuser201

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 12, 2018
Anyone out there still own and use a PowerPC Mac as their main daily driver? While PowerPC macs haven't been made since 2006, they still are to me personally a TRUE macintosh and not associated with that intel windows garbage. I know the PowerMac g5 machines are actually still decent in performance in 2018 (on the internet using TenFourFox), but also curious if someone still uses an iMac G3 or iBook G4 everyday. Thanks!

bobesch

macrumors 68020
Oct 21, 2015
Kiel, Germany
"Main daily driver ...?" No. But within a melange of old & new Macs plus WinServer-Environment.
The unique tasks for PPC:
- 12" iBookG4(1.2MHz) & PowerBookG4 (1.5GHz) /w Office'04/'08/Preview as beamer-companion on meetings
- 12" PowerBookG4 (1.5GHz) as my Fax-machine at home
- miniG4 as my Fax-machine at the office
- G3/G4: native os9/Classic for legacy applications
- all: ScreenSharing/FileSharing/webDAV for connected computing / steering server or newer macs, edit Office-documents/PDF/pictures. IMAP-email. With iOS/iFiles connectivity/file-exchange PPC<>Cloud.
"variatio delectat ...!"

Last edited:

mmphosis

macrumors regular
Jan 3, 2017
Everyday by a third -- the PowerBook G4 is my "third" monitor / keyboard and mouse/trackpad as my daily machine(s). It is great to have another machine running completely separate with a PowerPC CPU. No Intel ME compromised hardware on PowerPC Macs. Right now, I've got Terminal open with top running, and it shows a total of 34 processes on the PowerBook! Over on the other 2/3 daily machine running Xubuntu, I run:

Code:
# ps aux | wc

and the total is currently 175 processes! Not that these processes in linux are all running, but I think things are often simpler, easier, and more reliable and secure on the 1/3 daily machine: the PowerBook G4. I run TenFourFox7450, sometimes Roccat LepWK. On Monday, I was cropping, rotating, and saving an image using "ImageMagick (display Q16)" which would have been way easier and faster if I had brought the PowerBook and used Preview to do the same thing. It is very rare that I would play videos on the PowerBook G4, unless I was to play a DVD (remember those?) The 2/3 (Intel ME) machine doesn't have a CD/DVD drive, and ethernet is through a USB3 adapter, as well as an octopus of cables for monitors, keyboards, mice, etc. Intel machines are getting dated, and we haven't seen a significant breakthrough in speed in a decade, and as I will keep repeating Intel ME (Management Engine) is a way in which the Intel CPU may allow an outside party complete control of an Intel PC.

AphoticD

macrumors 68020
Feb 17, 2017
Not as a main daily driver, but much of my work in programming and web development is done on my little PowerBook G4 12” 1.5GHz.

It rides with me most days as it is (relatively) small and light.

It runs an extremely lightweight system with an optimized Tiger on an SSD.

I run the old MAMP stack, which although it is not up to date, it is still compatible with 99% of my PHP and MySQL scripts, which work seamlessly for local testing between my little G4 and my web host.

I run Xcode 2.5 on Tiger which as I’ve mentioned on other posts before, allows me a decent level of compatibility with Xcode 8, 9 and now 10 (Mojave). I can write, test and compile many programs written in C and a massive amount of Objective-C code can be written to be cross-compatible between these platforms.

I never have to worry about the OS doing major battery draining background tasks, software updates or iCloud syncing without my consent.

I can (still) easily tether the PowerBook G4 to my iPhone (6) over WiFi without any workarounds to get my little ‘book online anywhere I go.

On the subject, battery life is good and I often carry a spare charged battery to swap out in the middle of the day.

It looks great (in my opinion), typing is comfortable and if something terrible were to happen and it was damaged or stolen, the cost of replacement is extremely low (I have a few ‘spares’ anyway).

I can’t imagine anyone carting their brand new MBP around could say the same and keep a straight face.

I could certainly just use Intel Macs If I wanted to, but I love the PowerPCs. They have a different vibe to the newer Intels

These Retro Machines have heart and soul. :apple: :apple: :apple: :apple:

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
Anyone out there still own and use a PowerPC Mac as their main daily driver? While PowerPC macs haven't been made since 2006, they still are to me personally a TRUE macintosh and not associated with that intel windows garbage. I know the PowerMac g5 machines are actually still decent in performance in 2018 (on the internet using TenFourFox), but also curious if someone still uses an iMac G3 or iBook G4 everyday. Thanks!
Uhhhh…was your thread moved from elsewhere on this site?

Because you are asking this question in the POWERPC MACS forum.

In any case, does below answer your question?

2018-09-23 16.16.35.jpg

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
Isn't there a "PowerPC challenge" right around the beginning of the year? Is that a yearly thing?
It's a thing done whenever the user who coordinates it wishes to try again. There's no set schedule for it.

I never engage in it though as there is no point. My main driver has been a PowerPC Mac since 2001 and that fact hasn't changed in 17 years. Why engage in a challenge when you live it? ;)

pl1984

Suspended
Oct 31, 2017
I feel just the opposite. The Internet is near the bottom of the list I would use a PPC system for. It's unfortunate because it doesn't have to be this way.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
I feel just the opposite. The Internet is near the bottom of the list I would use a PPC system for. It's unfortunate because it doesn't have to be this way.
It's a fairly decent experience if you optimize TenFourFox for it. I do well on a 1.0Ghz 17" PowerBook G4 with 2GB ram.

On my Quad at home I have a 2GB virtual disk which I use. Both the app and my profile are stored there (I keep a copy on the hard drive so I don't lose it) and I run them directly from RAM.

But my browsing habits are not the same as others. I'm out there for forums, news and a few other sites via Google searching. I don't use T4Fx for video watching or media which a lot of people seem to want to do. There are other apps better suited to that.

Demeter, for instance, handles Youtube very well.

Raging Dufus

macrumors 6502a
Aug 2, 2018
Kansas USA
Anyone out there still own and use a PowerPC Mac as their main daily driver?

Boy do I wish.

I own many, and up until a couple months ago, was daily driving my PowerBook G4. I still would be, except for one piece of software that my school requires me to run, which only runs on El Capitan or newer. Or on Windows, which isn't happening.

So that means Intel. And that's been trouble. And oh, how I miss Leopard and PowerPC.

mccjim12

macrumors regular
Sep 23, 2012
Stamford, CT
I did until 2014 when I purchased a new 2012 MacBook Pro. I had a PowerBook G4 that was my main computer. Bought new in 2004. Since buying the MBP my usage of my PPC Macs has slowed. I still have them and always will but the sad reality is that they are not usable on the modern internet. I still use the PBG4 for DV video capture, which it handles like the day it was purchased.

Reactions: VirtuallyInsane

SkyBell

macrumors 604
Sep 7, 2006
Texas, unfortunately.
The only PowerPC Mac that I own which has a daily use anymore is an alarm clock app on my PowerBook.

I was using an eMac everyday for light browsing until just a few months ago, but unfortunately it had just gotten to that absolute lowest usability point I couldn't take anymore, and replaced it with an Intel iMac. Of course, it is still setup elsewhere in my apartment, just in case I want to get on it for old times sake or at least for the annual challenge.

Reactions: AphoticD

Kliee

macrumors newbie
Jan 29, 2008
I'm once again far from my home country, hence far from most of my PPC machines.

I took a PowerBook with me though. A 667Mhz G4 TiBook. I foolishly thought that it would be sufficient for me as it can dual boot OS9 and OSX (Tiger).
A few months and eBay finds later, I'm commanding a small armada of PowerPC machines that I will talk more about in other threads. Mainly laptops, since I'm not at home and will make them come back with me.
I'm no Luddite, but I have found myself very disappointed with recent system releases, especially from Apple.
I really love the Apple machines and OS's from the PowerPC era and, as my work can be done on almost any computer, I chose to use mainly what pleases me the most.
I use my PowerPC machines most of the time and only rely on my Intel for Youtube or heavy web browsing.
My main machine for work (pdf reading and creation, word processing and data analysis) is the TiBook mentioned above. I also have a 14 inches iBook G3 for (retro-)gaming.
Those are the two I use the most but, as I said, I now have many other PPC machines for which I have many projects.

StellarVixen

macrumors 68040
Mar 1, 2018
Somewhere between 0 and 1
I applaud you who do, people. I do not have guts to do something like this. :)

I have so much software that I use daily that would be incompatible with PPC Macs. And, I depend to much on Messages and FaceTime. :(

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
I applaud you who do, people. I do not have guts to do something like this. :)

I have so much software that I use daily that would be incompatible with PPC Macs. And, I depend to much on Messages and FaceTime. :(
I think that's a matter of how you use things.

See, because of PowerPC I never came to depend on the Apple ecosystem. So, while iMessage is great, an SMS/MMS from my phone still does the job. If I want to use Facetime, that's what my iPhone, which is always less than 3 feet away, is for. But mainly my phone is used for calls and texting.

You use those things more than I do, so having to rely on just your phone is a hassle and ties you to those Macs that can do this.

But I don't have the sort of lifestyle where alternatives to the Apple ecosystem aren't good enough.

Hell, all of my iPhones are jailbroken and two of them can run a tweak that allows me to connect to them and use the phone to send messages.

A Fluid app running on any of my PowerPC Macs can then send both SMS/MMS and iMessage through my phone. With pictures/video/files if I like.

It's all just a matter of how far you're willing to go. I find that those 'trapped' by the Apple ecosystem are far less interested in making alternatives work.

Appleuser201

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 12, 2018
The only PowerPC Mac that I own which has a daily use anymore is an alarm clock app on my PowerBook.

I was using an eMac everyday for light browsing until just a few months ago, but unfortunately it had just gotten to that absolute lowest usability point I couldn't take anymore, and replaced it with an Intel iMac. Of course, it is still setup elsewhere in my apartment, just in case I want to get on it for old times sake or at least for the annual challenge.
What processor speed on the eMac? The 1.42ghz eMac is perfectly fine for daily web browsing (TFF, leopard webkit, sometimes safari)

vddrnnr

macrumors 6502
Jan 23, 2017
Hi all,

Just a screen from Adelie Linux running Netsurf Browser ( not perfect but very fast ).
I'm trying to get QtWebkit working properly so I can get qupzilla working right.
Unfortunately right now it quits when scrolling but it's very fast. Maybe we can get one
of these building on OSX ( there is a recent netsurf build for Intel but all the code base is
for amiga powerpc so it should play nice ).
At the back on the right is just some system load overlay ( CPU, Temps, Fan Speed ).
These packages we're built by me from source.:

- Slim ( Login Manager because SDDM look weird on radeon, there is a patch I think
but I haven't been able to get the Adelie Xorg package sources to rebuild it)
- Xosd ( library for the OSD )
- qupzilla ( qt browser using qt-webkit )
- netsurf ( gtk browser using it's own engine )
- sylpheed ( trying to get html message viewer plugin working ) the rest is perfect and light
- qastools ( for controlling sound with alsa )
- compton ( composite manager for window effects )
- powernowd ( for CPU Power Management )
- cairo-dock ( mac dock lick bar, working almost ok not using OpenGL )

I also have the RADEON card and all other hardware working.

To get a perfect look boot all that would be needed would be plymouth support in the kernel ( I don't thing
it's there, at least I couldn't get it working )

In Adelie you also have:

- FFox 52 but it's a bit slow
- Thunderbird 52
- Libre Office
- A lot of stuff

Inside the text editor was the message I was typing.

Best regards,
voidRunner

upload_2018-10-24_16-6-51.png

Dronecatcher

macrumors 603
Jun 17, 2014
Lincolnshire, UK
At the back on the right is just some system load overlay ( CPU, Temps, Fan Speed ).

Is it the DLSD model - do you know whether the CPU load is at 1.67Ghz or a lower frequency? That always throws me off on my 17" DLSD - not know what percentage of what speed the CPU is running at?

vddrnnr

macrumors 6502
Jan 23, 2017
Hi Drone,

Unfortunately it's at full speed. Because the total cpu load is above 80% powernowd keeps
the CPU at full.
There is something strange with the kernel that eats all the CPU ( it seems like it's waiting for
something but nothing happens ).
As i mentioned on another thread it stays at 60 before starting X after X it goes to 85/90.
The problem is that when you're not doing anything it's still stays at 85/90 all the time.

When you run something like a build or a program system load goes down and user goes up.
If it's something heavy like a build or firefox starting total load goes to 100% when it stops
it goes down to 85/90 again.

When I have time I'll try and find if it is possible to make powernowd monitor the User load instead of total load because like that
frequencies are never reduced.
Maybe this way at least we get a cooler running system.

Best regards,
voidRunner
[doublepost=1540402087][/doublepost]Hi drone,

Found it.
Changed powernowd to look at user load and it's running ok and as expected cpufreq down to 833
when user load is below 20%.
The strange thing is total load is still at 85/90.
I'll keep you posted about temps and performance/behaviour.

Best regards,
voidRunner

AphoticD

macrumors 68020
Feb 17, 2017
Found it.
Changed powernowd to look at user load and it's running ok and as expected cpufreq down to 833
when user load is below 20%.
The strange thing is total load is still at 85/90.
I'll keep you posted about temps and performance/behaviour.

Good work @vddrnnr (did you lose a few vowels?)

It would be nice if OS X had fine control over the CPU stepping like this. In Tiger and Leopard I am using a little menu bar app called FastAndSlow to give controls like the Battery menu. I tend to keep the G5s on “Slow” unless I want the boost. Otherwise “Automatic” speed causes Time Machine backups to run the G5 in full wind turbine mode.

It is strange that the DLSD has no user options for speed stepping.

vddrnnr

macrumors 6502
Jan 23, 2017
Hi Drone,

Forgot to say that mine is not the DLSD.

PS. building qtwebkit is taking forever but still going

Best regards,
voidRunner

Reactions: Traace
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.