Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jr5x

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 2, 2022
So Cal
I bought a MBP 16 M1 Pro and have been enjoying MacOS a lot. I'm changing my work desktop to a Mac soon. I've been thinking of giving up my Pixel 6 Pro for the iPhone 14 and an Apple watch.

I love my P6P. Aside from the battery and a couple things that could be improved, it's the best phone I've ever had, and I've had some great ones. Pixel's OS just seems light years ahead of iOS. I use iOS every day on a iPad Pro, but for a phone it seems antiquated, or like it was made for old people. Plus, I love the color tones of the Pixel's photos.

But the iPhone hardware is the best, I spend most of my time in apps and not the OS, and I'll get the interoperability benefits of being on the same platform as my computers. Or will I die a little bit inside every time I use my iPhone? If you switched, thanks for sharing your experience!

jr5x

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 2, 2022
So Cal
Update: I just drove my wife's iPhone 13 Pro Max. The screen is amazing, bright and easy to read with very smooth scrolling. And it has gesture navigation! I wasn't aware of this. The dictation is very good.

The keyboard, typing prediction, home screen, and app drawers, though, are really basic and far behind.

Reactions: aggie99

aggie99

macrumors 6502a
Sep 23, 2016
Dallas, TX
Update: I just drove my wife's iPhone 13 Pro Max. The screen is amazing, bright and easy to read with very smooth scrolling. And it has gesture navigation! I wasn't aware of this. The dictation is very good.

The keyboard, typing prediction, home screen, and app drawers, though, are really basic and far behind.
Using my 13 Pro Max on ios16 beta. I’ve long been an Android guy but iOS is really catching up imo. Keyboard and typing as well as Siri vs Google Assistant is where the iPhone is really behind to me. The typing experience annoys the living hell out of me.

Reactions: jr5x

Ludatyk

macrumors 603
May 27, 2012
Texas
It’s all about preferences. I think the iPhone is the best overall smartphone anyone can buy. I think the intuitive aspect of it is what sets it apart from Android.

You might look at it as basic, but it doesn’t get in the way of the experience in using the iPhone. I understand you have reservations, but choosing the iPhone and using Apple ecosystem of devices is the best there is.

And if I had a MBP, iPad and on the verge of getting a Mac desktop… I’ll consider an iPhone for that particular setup.

Reactions: jr5x and aggie99

Heat_Fan89

macrumors 68030
Feb 23, 2016
Personally if you plan to buy a Mac then there’s little reason to hold you back by switching to an iPhone. They are beautiful phones but a little too pricey for my taste. Supposedly Ventura will allow for the iPhone to be used as a camera.

I have never owned an iPhone. I still prefer Android because the Apps I use are much better than Apple’s version. Chrome IMO, is way better than Safari, Gmail is better than Apple Mail, GMaps is better than Apple Maps, Google Keep, better than Apple Notes, Google Assistant has no rival. Siri is still stuck in 2010.

Then of course there is Google’s Call Screener. It has reduced my Spam and Robocalls by 99.5%. Apple has no such feature built into iOS.

Reactions: B_mark_R and jr5x

Ludatyk

macrumors 603
May 27, 2012
Texas
I have never owned an iPhone. I still prefer Android because the Apps I use are much better than Apple’s version. Chrome IMO, is way better than Safari, Gmail is better than Apple Mail, GMaps is better than Apple Maps, Google Keep, better than Apple Notes, Google Assistant has no rival. Siri is still stuck in 2010.
No offense, but if you never owned an iPhone can you objectively say the apps are much better.

I don’t use Chrome on Android, I prefer Samsung Internet because of Dark Mode, Adblocking extensions and I like the design of it (useful features as well). And on my iPad… don’t use Chrome, I use Safari.

Then on my PC… I use Edge. All my bookmarks are synced across browsers and if there’s an article I want to save I tend to rely on Google Keep since it’s easily accessible across devices.

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
That’s news to me, I’ve rarely found android apps to be better than IOS apps. All social media apps for one are way more optimised. Not that android Apps are bad they are fine but I really miss iOS apps when I use android

Even Google’s own apps look more polished on iOS

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
I bought a MBP 16 M1 Pro and have been enjoying MacOS a lot. I'm changing my work desktop to a Mac soon. I've been thinking of giving up my Pixel 6 Pro for the iPhone 14 and an Apple watch.

I love my P6P. Aside from the battery and a couple things that could be improved, it's the best phone I've ever had, and I've had some great ones. Pixel's OS just seems light years ahead of iOS. I use iOS every day on a iPad Pro, but for a phone it seems antiquated, or like it was made for old people. Plus, I love the color tones of the Pixel's photos.

But the iPhone hardware is the best, I spend most of my time in apps and not the OS, and I'll get the interoperability benefits of being on the same platform as my computers. Or will I die a little bit inside every time I use my iPhone? If you switched, thanks for sharing your experience!
Given what you plan to buy getting an iPhone makes the most sense. Apple Watch with mac and iPad for me makes things too good to ever go away from that

Reactions: jr5x

Heat_Fan89

macrumors 68030
Feb 23, 2016
No offense, but if you never owned an iPhone can you objectively say the apps are much better.

I don’t use Chrome on Android, I prefer Samsung Internet because of Dark Mode, Adblocking extensions and I like the design of it (useful features as well). And on my iPad… don’t use Chrome, I use Safari.

Then on my PC… I use Edge. All my bookmarks are synced across browsers and if there’s an article I want to save I tend to rely on Google Keep since it’s easily accessible across devices.
When someone starts a sentence with no offense, someone is about to get offended.:p

Look I own various iPads and Macs so i’m qualified to compare both sides. Even if the apps were far superior on Apple’s side which they are not, there’s Google Assistant which currently has no equal. Then of course there’s the GCS to filter out and reject unwanted phone calls.

Ludatyk

macrumors 603
May 27, 2012
Texas
When someone starts a sentence with no offense, someone is about to get offended.:p

Look I own various iPads and Macs so i’m qualified to compare both sides. Even if the apps were far superior on Apple’s side which they are not, there’s Google Assistant which currently has no equal. Then of course there’s the GCS to filter out and reject unwanted phone calls.
When you mention you never owned an iPhone.. I didn’t understand the logic that’s all.

I use their apps… I don’t necessarily use the word better, I think they both have different experiences. But that’s your opinion which you are entitled to.

Reactions: 5105973

ian87w

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2020
Indonesia
Or will I die a little bit inside every time I use my iPhone?
Yes, you will be sucked into the reality distortion field, and you may not be able to pull yourself out of Tim Cook's grasp.

Joking aside, in the end, what tools that work for the job. I personally use all the platforms. I have a mac mini, a Windows laptop, an iPhone, and an Android phone. All have their specific usage that won't be able to be fulfilled by the others.

You also have to consider what cloud services you already use/want to use. Apple's services work best on their own devices, but work poorly or not at all on non-Apple devices. Meanwhile, Google and Microsoft services work decently on all platforms. Those are the things to consider when switching platforms.

Reactions: 5105973 and jr5x
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.