Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

vhl71

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 8, 2009
Anyone who switched from iPhone X’s? Here in Canada we have to wait for another 2 weeks beige getting to see the pixel 3. Can’t even see a demo unit so far where I live.

What are your thoughts so far? Are you liking it? Anything you miss on this compared to iPhone?
Any comments from iPhone users would be appreciated

Reactions: andondragov

Nikhil72

macrumors 65816
Oct 21, 2005
Tried and still have an XL abut keep gravitating back to my Max. Android personally still doesn’t cut it for me, the apple ecosystem works well for me (and I don’t mind a closed one), and there is nothing that can relate my Apple Watch. And XL’s battery life is fine but not as good as my Max or X before it.
[doublepost=1540589909][/doublepost]Camera is fantastic though but the newer iPhones are stellar too (pixel does better selfies and night shot is amazing, otherwise it’s a draw or I lean in favor of iPhone’s dynamic range).

xraydoc

Contributor
Oct 9, 2005
Strongly thinking about it. Got about 5 minutes to play with a Pixel 3 and 3XL in a Best Buy last week.
The XL is too big for me, but the regular 3 is virtually the exact same size as my iPhone X, and I found it to be smooth and quick. Granted I was playing with a basically blank phone (only a few apps and sample contacts & photos; no sample emails or anything else), but screen looked fantastic and navigation gestures worked well.

Nikhil72

macrumors 65816
Oct 21, 2005
Strongly thinking about it. Got about 5 minutes to play with a Pixel 3 and 3XL in a Best Buy last week.
The XL is too big for me, but the regular 3 is virtually the exact same size as my iPhone X, and I found it to be smooth and quick. Granted I was playing with a basically blank phone (only a few apps and sample contacts & photos; no sample emails or anything else), but screen looked fantastic and navigation gestures worked well.

The smaller one is definitely a great perfect size. The gestures on the other hand are absolutely awful relative to the X. It’s been nearly 2 weeks and I keep pulling up the app switcher when I mean to go to the app drawer, and the inconsistency of the back button still drives me nuts. The gestures seemed fine when I was in the store but living with it makes me feel like they need to fix it soon

Ralfi

macrumors 601
Dec 22, 2016
Australia
Also keep in mind the RAM management (at least for now, but many are saying it won't get much better) isn't that great.

Nikhil72

macrumors 65816
Oct 21, 2005
Also keep in mind the RAM management (at least for now, but many are saying it won't get much better) isn't that great.

Ugh yes. Every goddamn time I snap a photo while listening to Spottfy the music cuts .I even had navigation cut out while walking somewhere and stopping to take one photo.
[doublepost=1540702388][/doublepost]
Only thing I liked about the Pixel 3 XL was the camera and the phone screening. I returned the phone. Other than that, I'm back on my iPhone X.

Yup .The camera, and even then the XS and XR hold their own and I feel have better dynamic range. Still can't get over the magic of night shot .

Lloydbm41

Suspended
Oct 17, 2013
Central California
Ugh yes. Every goddamn time I snap a photo while listening to Spottfy the music cuts .I even had navigation cut out while walking somewhere and stopping to take one photo.
[doublepost=1540702388][/doublepost]

Yup .The camera, and even then the XS and XR hold their own and I feel have better dynamic range. Still can't get over the magic of night shot .
I downloaded the apk from XDA to play with night shot. It def makes a marked improvement in low light areas, but to be honest, it's something people may only use once in a great while. The iPhone has better dynamic range, better sound recording, better videos and while the front pics are not as good for selfies, the rear cameras on the iPhone are better in every way. I did love the selfie shots on the Pixel to get lots of people into the pic, even if it did look kind of distorted.

In the end, it's a good phone, but don't believe it's worth the $900+ price tag. With the One+ 6T about to drop, my money is better spent there, for 1/3 the price of the pixel and I get a ton more features. Just sucks that there is no wireless charging.

xraydoc

Contributor
Oct 9, 2005
If the Pixel 2 doesn't do this, I can't imagine that it's anything but a software issue in Android 9 that will eventually be fixed.

Reactions: Tig Bitties

Nikhil72

macrumors 65816
Oct 21, 2005
If the Pixel 2 doesn't do this, I can't imagine that it's anything but a software issue in Android 9 that will eventually be fixed.

oh for sure; if i liked the software experience enough to patiently wait it out, i would have. but i just packed it up to send it back.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.