Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cloudyskies22

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 8, 2023
Tried Google search, tried YouTube search, tried this forum search. Found nothing on anyone testing their Thread devices with the iPhone 15 Pro which includes a Thread radio.

I already ordered multiple Thread devices to test it out, but you’d think someone who already had Thread devices and bought the 15 Pro would’ve tried it haha

bobtamboo

macrumors member
Sep 27, 2021
Newbury, UK
I’ve got quite a few Nanoleaf lightbulbs which are thread enabled and one HomePod mini as the thread border router.

Its hard to know so far whether it’s improved response times or not since having a 15 Pro

TotalMacMove

macrumors 65816
Jun 18, 2013
USA
I have about 7 different thread devices (eve outlets, eve aqua, nanoleaf bulb, etc…) but haven't noticed any difference. I do also have 4 border routers spread around the house though so the speed has always been phenomenal.

bobtamboo

macrumors member
Sep 27, 2021
Newbury, UK
I’ll unplug the HomePod mini and test it later.

Although, I guess it would be hard to thoroughly test it without being able to see bandwidth and latency metrics

Cloudyskies22

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 8, 2023
I’ll unplug the HomePod mini and test it later.

Although, I guess it would be hard to thoroughly test it without being able to see bandwidth and latency metrics
Yes, please unplug the mini as it’s acting as your border router right?

I’m curious if the 15 Pro acts as the border router in that you wouldn’t need a distinct border router necessarily, if you had the 15 Pro.

See, I don’t have any device like the HomePod mini that would act as a border router for lights/plug. What I’d love is if my iPhone 15 Pro could be the only device I need outside of the lights/plug that I ordered to test. Yes, I know I wouldn’t get remote access when I left the home with my iPhone, but it would be nice if I got home and it’s all instantly connected to the 15 Pro again.

bobtamboo

macrumors member
Sep 27, 2021
Newbury, UK
I turned off the HomePod mini and now I can’t control the lights, just says no response after they try updating the connection for some time.

I was assuming the iPhone would then become the lead device as border router but doesn’t seem to be 🤷

Reactions: Cloudyskies22

bobtamboo

macrumors member
Sep 27, 2021
Newbury, UK
IMG_2788.jpeg

GabooN

macrumors regular
Mar 31, 2008
Windsor, Ontario
I think it is meant that the phone can directly communicate with thread devices to further improve speeds, or for initial setup instead of Bluetooth, not that it will act as border router in place of a homepod mini. Plus you want your devices to work when the phone is absent.

Last edited:
Reactions: zach-coleman

bobtamboo

macrumors member
Sep 27, 2021
Newbury, UK
I think it is meant that the phone can directly communicate with thread devices to further improve speeds, or for initial setup instead of Bluetooth, not that it will act as border router in place of a homepod mini. Plus you want your devices to work when the phone is absent.
I’ve checked the thread network when the border router (HomePod mini) appears and the iPhone doesn’t appear anywhere within it. To me, it doesn’t seem to be enabled yet as it should acquire some role within the network

Cloudyskies22

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 8, 2023
Well thanks for the info guys, maybe it’s not enabled yet in software, who knows. Classic Apple failing its users by not clearly describing a feature and whether it is even functional yet.

Reactions: DotCom2
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.