Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mowgli21

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 30, 2010
UK
Hi

Me and my mum are thinking of getting my dad an iPad after he saw mine he fell in love with it but he never treats himself. Just a couple of questions spring to mind:

1. I have read about people having problems syncing more than one iPad to a computer, have you had any problems like this?

2. If I register it to my iTunes can he copy my apps onto it as well as any he purchases in the future in his own account?

Thanks guys

DenniZ

macrumors 6502a
Oct 5, 2007
Liverpool, UK
Hi

Me and my mum are thinking of getting my dad an iPad after he saw mine he fell in love with it but he never treats himself. Just a couple of questions spring to mind:

1. I have read about people having problems syncing more than one iPad to a computer, have you had any problems like this?

2. If I register it to my iTunes can he copy my apps onto it as well as any he purchases in the future in his own account?

Thanks guys
Congrats, my dad is the complete opposite.

1. You can sync two iPads no problem, just make sure their named differently, or it will confuse you on your backup names.

2. Yes, they will both be under the same account, hence any app on one (paid or free) will be able to be synced to the other free of charge.

You will both have to agree to a single iTunes account to avoid conflict.

jsimpson

macrumors regular
Dec 30, 2006
Yeah, what he said. We have two (one 3G and the other WiFi) and have no issues at all.:)

Mowgli21

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 30, 2010
UK
Would it be able to have music purchased through his iTunes account and apps through my account on it working ok?

Thanks

jsimpson

macrumors regular
Dec 30, 2006
Would it be able to have music purchased through his iTunes account and apps through my account on it working ok?

Thanks

I don't think so. AFAIK music and apps have to be from the same account but someone may correct me.

Mlrollin91

macrumors G5
Nov 20, 2008

Thanks

You can have up to 5 different accounts registered on one device. So yes he can, but if you are running both iPads off your computer, you'll have to add his music to it, and then either manage the music manually, or go in and individually check what you want and don't want on your iPad, and his..

zacware

macrumors member
Jul 24, 2002
If you have more than one computer, iTunes "Home Sharing" feature is fantastic. When I download a song, or app, my kids and my wife automatically see it on their computer and their iDevices.

Mowgli21

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 30, 2010
UK
If you have more than one computer, iTunes "Home Sharing" feature is fantastic. When I download a song, or app, my kids and my wife automatically see it on their computer and their iDevices.

Cheers guys. I have used the home sharing for music does it work for apps as well? That would be amazing if it does.

Crosbie

macrumors 6502a
May 26, 2010
Brighton, UK
AFAIK, apps are per-account and can't be shared, even if they're on the same computer?

I know music stored on the same computer can be discovered and shared by different iTunes accounts - definitely with ripped CD files, for example. But I'm anticipating having to buy a second copy of, eg, Pages when my girlfriend links her account to the iPad she's buying off me.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
AFAIK, apps are per-account and can't be shared, even if they're on the same computer?

I know music stored on the same computer can be discovered and shared by different iTunes accounts - definitely with ripped CD files, for example. But I'm anticipating having to buy a second copy of, eg, Pages when my girlfriend links her account to the iPad she's buying off me.

You can sync your iPad with multiple accounts. What would happen however is that should an update come out for your pages app, when she tries to update it will ask her for your password/login.

But yes you can have multiple apps from different accounts. Many of us do this so we have access to USA and Euro accounts.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.